INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No tag information when importing folders and files - FIXED (see below)  (Read 2185 times)

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.

Perhaps it is an issue being an early Alpha, but I cannot get the tag information in my music files to import into Media Center 18 Mac. The import only reads the file names and not the tag information, so any Artist I Import into MC reads as Unknown. I checked the File Location settings but I think that is for the location and format of ripped songs via MC. Either the features aren't developed yet or I am doing something wrong. Also, I wondered if there is a way to parse the tag info that would enable MC to read the tag info if it exists. My OS version is Mac 10.7.5 Lion.

It's great that JRiver is developing Media Center for the Mac. Mac users have had very little in the way of options aside from iTunes. I look forward to more developments.
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No tag information when importing folders and files
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »

Welcome.

What version of MC are you running?  18.0.146 is the latest.

What kind of files?

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »

I am running MC Mac 18.0.146. The problem exists with any kind of audio file, MP3, AAC, etc. Some artwork is missing but that may be because they may not be embedded. I am running a test on different folders rather than my entire library because it is 100GB total. The music is on a Mac-formatted external drive (HFS+ Journaled).
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:40 am »

I'm still unable to get tag information to show up in the files I test on MC Alpha 18.0.1.146. Could it have anything to do with the file structure of HFS+ Journaled Mac drives? I have roughly the same data copied on my Windows machine on an NTFS formatted drive, and testing a transfer using MC Windows is perfect.

The types of music files I am transferring are MP3 and ACC.
Windows PC (2023)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:30 am »

Some tagging may not yet work.  If you're using the latest build, I would expect MP3 to work.  AAC is less likely.

MC has a setting for whether to write tags to the file.

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:43:01 pm »

I'll work on it, but it may be just a behavior of the Alpha on my system...I think I know what the setting is but could you tell me so I can be sure? The files play just fine, though, so no issue there.
Windows PC (2023)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:06 am »

I too have run into this situation.  And when I use my metadata editors there doesn't seem to be any data to import.  This might be due to this info being stripped out.

I can't say for sure what happened by right now the latest version I have loaded won't even play at all.  In fact the behavior is getting more and more flakey to the point that I'm going to wait for the next release before I try and see what is or is not working properly.

And I have gone in and stripped out all associated files I can find out of the OS as well as the app itself.  Thrown them away and re-installed MC several times.

This last time I tried to enable the network connectivity, to no avail.

So I'll just wait for MC to evolve to the next level.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37:46 am »

Well it is only an early Alpha release, and as such sometimes one solution creates two or three problems. Since I tested a demo version of MC on Windows and had success in tagging information there, I know it will work once the bugs have been figured out in the Mac version. Myself, I am not yet a registered owner of the Windows version, so I've never actually used remotes or networking with MC, and can't report on any issues on those topics. I'm not having playing issues yet, but will test a larger variety of files just to be sure.

I will eventually adopt MC for Mac as my primary media player, but that will be when it reaches Release status. I've registered MC Mac as an early adopter but am not expecting anything near to perfection at this point. All I'm doing right now is testing to figure out if a bug really is one and not due to my user error.
Windows PC (2023)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:34 am »

When you report a problem, please also include the version of your OS.  10.7, for example.

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
Re: No tag information when importing folders and files - FIXED
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:29 am »

Both versions Alpha 150 and 151 imported the tags. Alpha 150 did not import all artwork but my report was incomplete due to the crashing situation with that version. Alpha 151 does the tag/artwork job quite nicely. I will need to test it on some files that have had issues with importing artwork (not linked, in a separate file, etc.) and see how they perform.

Mac setup: OS X Lion 10.7.5, Intel Duo Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, running Media Center 18 Mac Alpha 18.0.1.151.
Windows PC (2023)
Pages: [1]   Go Up