INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center  (Read 262817 times)

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »

But yeah, I don't see any expression fields I create in the metadata. And yes, I'm looking under Search, not Edit. Where else can I look?

They will not show up there either. You only get in JRemote search and edit tags what you can see in MC tag action window.

Expression fields can be used to create categories for display. You probably have a view with the stock expression field Album Artist (auto), for example.

Denti

« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:12 pm »

I'm confused. Can I or can I not create and expression field and have it show up in the metadata?

And no, the stock field Album Artist (auto) does not appear in the metadata, either.

The only place where I see I might add a field is on the album view where I have no. of tracks, total time of album, bit rate, file type, and date. Where can't change these?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »

I'm confused. Can I or can I not create and expression field and have it show up in the metadata?

No, not in the metadata in JRemote or the MC tag window.

You can though use an expression field in JRemote. In the thumbs view you can currently only show one line in JRemote. Switch to some other view and you can see more of that one line, which can be an expression field.

MrC is of course right, show us a screenshot and tell us what you want to do.

Denti

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »

Thanks, so how does one use an expression field in JRemote if one cannot see these fields?

Thanks for the tip, MrC. So in this view, can I change what info appears on the album: artist, title are obvious, but the line below that with total tracks and times, etc. is what interests me.

vagskal

« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »

So in this view, can I change what info appears on the album: artist, title are obvious, but the line below that with total tracks and times, etc. is what interests me.

You can change the first line (Robeson, Paul...) with an expression field but not the second line or what is displayed for the individual tracks.

Denti

« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2013, 07:29:21 pm »

Ok, thanks.

I would ask the developers, then, to strongly consider adding the ability to add such user generated expression fields to the metadata. It would really make this product a slam-dunk for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »

One little thing that has been bugging me about the current build of JRemote (which is otherwise pretty much perfect for my needs, except video) is that it no longer stops playback when I unplug my phone from my car stereo.

I have an iPhone 5, first of all, so a lightning connector (though I don't think this matters, I think my wife's 4S does the same).  My car stereo has a USB input, and I can connect the regular iPhone charging cable directly to it.  Basically all other audio apps stop playback automatically when I unplug the phone, and JRemote used to do this too, but now it doesn't.  When I unplug, it pauses for a split second, but then playback resumes using the iPhone speaker.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »

One little thing that has been bugging me about the current build of JRemote (which is otherwise pretty much perfect for my needs, except video) is that it no longer stops playback when I unplug my phone from my car stereo.

Agreed.  I really liked this feature a lot.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:32 pm »

Have been getting he same BASS_ERROR_TIMEOUT issues too - I posted about it a page or so back.

Only started happening with latest build.

Yeah, it used to work just fine track to track...

I was going to try it on my Mac mini but something won't let me connect there anymore :(

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #260 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:15 am »

What is the easiest way to interact with MC 18 and television programs via JRemote?

I am using JRemote on an iPad and only have access to Video and Audio categories.
Is there a way to scan the EPG on the iPad or change the channels?
So far I can only load recordings that I made in the past.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2013, 06:32:20 am »

Just a quick update on a new version.

Some of the features include:

- Enhanced iPhone interface. As well as a new slide-in menu, there is a play bar at the bottom of the screen for information about current track and play/pause, next buttons.

- New thumbnail view mode for iPhone. Similar to iPad version.

- Gapless playback for all formats when streaming

- Streaming now plays 96khz 24 bit files without down sampling.

. Link/Unlink zones from zone menu

- Delete playlists from load/save playlist dialog.

Regarding iOS7:
This will require quite a bit of change in both design and code. There is a big chance that the JRemote version released after iOS7 launches will no longer support iOS 5 and 6. Let me know if this is a problem for you guys. Maintaining backward compatibility would be quite messy.

csimon

« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2013, 06:55:44 am »

iOS7 - I have a first gen iPad so have 5.1 and will not receive any further changes/bug fixes you make to the app, so I will be disappointed. I'm not spending hundreds of pounds on a new iPad just for this app, so am disappointed that you're considering ending development on first gen iPads. There are still a few bugs and basic usability things that I am hopeful for, even if I never get any more enhancements, for example:

1. Don't switch back to list view in while browsing videos, stay in thumbnail view. (see Page 3 of this topic)
2. Ability to view and manage the current playlist while in portrait mode (this isn't possible currently).
3. Switch zones on device when zone changes on server due to a Zoneswitch rule - otherwise you cannot control what's currently playing. (see Page 5 of this topic)
4. Return of the Stop button. (requested in several places)

I understand your position and I hate Apple for doing this. It's almost a deliberate tactic.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2013, 07:29:04 am »

The stop button will be back in the new release.
I`ll see what I can do about the rest for the next small release.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:57 am »

It's almost a deliberate tactic.
It's very deliberate, but it's necessary from their pov. I feel your pain, but you can't maintain backward compatibility forever without ending up with some horrible lash-up or being unable to compete with rival offerings.

Losing iOS5&6 compatibility wouldn't bother me personally. Maybe you should start a poll to gauge the reaction to issuing the iOS7 version as a new app altogether though? If there's a lot of work to do you could argue it's justified. Not much point if you're not able to keep developing the legacy version in parallel though.
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

csimon

« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:06 am »

but you can't maintain backward compatibility forever without ending up with some horrible lash-up or being unable to compete with rival offerings.

It's not forever though is it, it's actually only 3 years since the iPad was first released and since then it's been obsoleted and got to the point where software written only 2 years can no longer be maintained. Imagine the outcry if Microsoft had done that with Windows. Apple could very easily introduce new things without breaking old ones.  So, one of these things has to happen:

1. No longer maintain old software, therefore if early-adopters want to retain access to upgrades then they must spend a lot of money on a new computer.  Apple gain big time.  Early adopters lose big time.

2. Maintain two versions of the software, meaning that if people upgrade to iOS7 then they must buy the app again. Apple gain slightly. Later adopters lose slightly. Developer gains slightly on revenue but looses on maintaining mulitple versions.

3. Maintain one version of the software but make it backwards compatible. Developer loses on increased work to make it backwards-compatible. Users neither lose nor gain except maybe on increased length of time between releases, Apple neither loses nor gains.

Anyway, I'll try not to turn this into an anti-Apple rant!

« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:59 am »

What does iOS 7 add that would be useful for JRemote, that is not available in previous versions?
I'm running iOS 7 on my iPad now, and JRemote seems to work just fine. (though it doesn't always connect without force quitting the app first)

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2013, 07:59:08 am »

Going OT now. Sorry.

Imagine the outcry if Microsoft had done that with Windows. Apple could very easily introduce new things without breaking old ones.

You're right: Microsoft bent over backwards to maintain backward compatibility, resulting in a horrible lash-up with many problems, not least of which was terrible security. This prompted an outcry and people looking at Linux and Apple as alternatives. Swings and roundabouts.
With option 3 users lose out on improvements to the platform and Apple loses as users prefer to migrate to platforms that aren't standing still. Remember Blackberry?

The only answer is to buy hardware and software for what it does right now. There's no such thing as 'future-proof' and never has been.
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #268 on: July 08, 2013, 08:04:08 am »

6233638, When you run apps compiled for iOS6 on iOS7 you are in sort of a compatibility mode.
When i compile JRemote with the new iOS7 sdk, it`s not pretty, and not really working all that well.

So, yes, there is a lot that needs to be done.

« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2013, 08:11:49 am »

Apple have done this many times over. Remember when OS X came out? The switch to Intel processors after years of saying how much worse they were?
As much as it sucks, it's to be expected when you buy an Apple product.

6233638, When you run apps compiled for iOS6 on iOS7 you are in sort of a compatibility mode.
When i compile JRemote with the new iOS7 sdk, it`s not pretty, and not really working all that well.
Can you not continue to use the previous compiler if the new one is giving you trouble? I haven't a clue about iOS development, so if you think it's necessary, as the developer it's up to you I suppose. I haven't really run into any issues running the current version on iOS7 though, aside from sometimes failing to connect to my server. Streaming videos and controlling MC works just fine.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:27 am »

There was some talk about an Android version of JRemote... any news on this?  ;D

pcstockton

« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:27 am »

Zero problems here with abandoning the earlier OS's.

You cant support older devices forever.

Thanks,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:50 am »

Zero problems here with abandoning the earlier OS's.

You cant support older devices forever.

+1

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »

Super quick question-I got jremote and have it working on a basic level with my iPhone/ipad.  So far I like

The question: PC-MC-jremote-wdtv live....is this combo possible?  Can I use jremote to push stuff to the wd box?

Thanks, great app guys, the price was worth it after I streamed my first album in bed in flac!

« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »

If Media Center can push to a WDTV Live, it shouldn't be a problem via JRemote.

csimon

« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2013, 02:16:22 pm »

That's right - JRemote is a remote control so if the WDTV appears as a zone in the main program then it will also appear in JRemote as a zone.  JRemote itself won't push to the WDTV - it will instruct MC to push to it.

If it doesn't appear in JRemote then first diagnose why it's not appearing in MC itself. You will need to enable MC as a DLNA server and controller and if the WDTV doesn't appear then it may be a problem with your network/firewall.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2013, 03:22:12 am »

Just a quick note about certain zones not showing up in JRemote.

At the moment zones are only loaded once when you connect to the server.
If zones are added to MC after that, they wont display in JRemote.

In order to refresh the zones list, you need to reconnect to the server.

Not saying that this is the issue here though.

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:37 am »

- Enhanced iPhone interface. As well as a new slide-in menu, there is a play bar at the bottom of the screen for information about current track and play/pause, next buttons.

Will the ability to update/add ratings in IPod Touch/IPhone version be addressed. This is one issue that hasn't been fixed through various updates. That's the only problem I have with JRemote but it's a fairly big one for me. I only listen through JRiver controlled by JRemote, so effectively, I'm unable to rate any songs.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:38 am »

I'm running JRemote on a iPhone 3gs iOS 6.1.3. Not planning on upgrading anytime soon, so iOS7 =  -1 for me.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:06 am »

Just a quick update on a new version.

- New thumbnail view mode for iPhone. Similar to iPad version.

- Gapless playback for all formats when streaming

- Streaming now plays 96khz 24 bit files without down sampling.

. Link/Unlink zones from zone menu

- Delete playlists from load/save playlist dialog.

Regarding iOS7:
This will require quite a bit of change in both design and code. There is a big chance that the JRemote version released after iOS7 launches will no longer support iOS 5 and 6. Let me know if this is a problem for you guys. Maintaining backward compatibility would be quite messy.

Not supporting ipad1 would be a problem for me...at the moment, as a lot of new games and apps require more horsepower than it can provide, it is looking likely that I will have to consign the ipad1 to the living room / home as a glorified Harmony remote - which is fine as it is perfect for that.
I will then have to save up for a new iPad!

I think the idea that paul1970 already posted about releasing a brand new version for those that always want to be at the cutting edge (ios7) and want all the bells and whistles - JRemote seems to be getting more and more complicated by the day - can get that.
This current version would not be developed further, but maybe just bug fixed as a maintenance release.

Each to their own, but it would seem to me commercially there is a market for a simple version of JRemote (probably where we are now...) and the all singing all dancing version for the techies and audiophiles that have the Naim receivers, the DACs and want all the video playback features etc etc.

At the very least, please give notice before releasing the new "must have ios7" version so those of us that have legacy hardware can make sure we are on the last supported version.

Would obviously love to see the BASS_ERROR bug fixed before you move to ios7 too.

Love JRemote, appreciate the world moves on and that you are even asking for peoples opinion.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:51 am »

If supporting both paths of code isn't practical, maybe fork your code to minimize updates to critical issues, or highly-valued features.

The new code-base might be JRemote2 with IOS 7 as the minimum requirement.  I am willing to pay for an update, and I suppose many others would be too, especially if new goodies are also part of the new release.

Entice, but don't punish.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:10 pm »

MrC - words of wisdom sir

sunfire7

« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:54 am »

If supporting both paths of code isn't practical, maybe fork your code to minimize updates to critical issues, or highly-valued features.

The new code-base might be JRemote2 with IOS 7 as the minimum requirement.  I am willing to pay for an update, and I suppose many others would be too, especially if new goodies are also part of the new release.

Entice, but don't punish.
+1
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

pcstockton

« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »

Why cant earlier OS users simply NOT update the app?

csimon

« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2013, 02:32:47 am »

I don't think the store will allow you to download if your device doesn't meet the minimum requirements. But the issue is there will be no more bug fixes or enhancements for early adopters, even if those enhancements don't use any new facilities that the new OS offers.

I have a vested interest as I have a 1st gen iPad! But why recompile with the latest SDK unless there's a need to? It's not like this is happening with any other apps I have, they're all still being updated and offered for iOS 5.1.

« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2013, 04:05:36 am »

Why cant earlier OS users simply NOT update the app?
Apple is stupid in the way that it handles updates, so that it allows people to update their apps to versions their devices don't support. Hell, until iOS 6, it still asked for a password every time you wanted to update apps.

Apps seem to get so many updates on iOS, it's unrealistic to not do anything other than hit "Update All" and if you accidentally update, there's no way to download an older version of an app.

If iOS 7 excludes a number of devices that JRemote runs on, I would suggest a new version that only runs on iOS 7 rather than updating the current version, if the plan is to drop iOS 5/6 support.

I think it would be foolish to move to an iOS 7 only version though. An app like JRemote is the perfect application for an older iOS device you have kicking around that may not see much use for anything else.
In fact, I have often wondered if it was possible to hack an old iPod so that it bypassed the lock screen and simply opened up JRemote directly when waking the device, to use as a dedicated remote.

csimon

« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2013, 04:27:54 am »

Apple is stupid in the way that it handles updates, so that it allows people to update their apps to versions their devices don't support.

Oh!  ::)

pcstockton

« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2013, 09:47:58 am »

Apple is stupid in the way that it handles updates, so that it allows people to update their apps to versions their devices don't support.

Allows sure, but it doesn't force you.

Like I said, dont update the app and you will be fine.

« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »

Allows sure, but it doesn't force you.
Like I said, dont update the app and you will be fine.
I get 2-3 app updates every couple of days. I only bother to update once or twice a week now as a result of this, hitting the "Update All" button. It's very easy to accidentally update an app you don't want.

For example, I actually liked the old Podcasts app with the reel-to-reel interface. In most cases I dislike skeuomorphic design, but that's one place that I thought it was a neat thing to have. It's not like there was anything else they could have been doing with that space, and the updated version just looks like they ripped it all out without considering how plain and unfinished it would look.

So I tried to avoid updating it, but after a week or two of being annoyed by a permanent notification sitting there (I have notifications disabled for all other apps, unless they are actually important) I eventually hit "update all" absent-mindedly, and have no way of going back to it. Now that I'm running iOS 7, that's not even an option, as it updates everything automatically - which is great until it downloads a broken update, or if an update is released that no longer supports my device.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2013, 01:24:19 am »

Csimon is right on the money. I have 1st gen iPad and am considering it as a dedicated remote exactly as you describe.
I think most people who have commented on here agree the fork in development is the smart thing to do.
For the others that want to maintain"cutting edge" ios they may have to dip into their pockets for another $5 for the ios7 version of the app...a small price to pay to support the development of an amazing piece of software.

(To be honest, we've all got our money's worth on this piece of software already with all the added features lespaul has upgraded for free).

pcstockton

Re:
« Reply #290 on: July 14, 2013, 02:29:35 am »

(To be honest, we've all got our money's worth on this piece of software already with all the added features lespaul has upgraded for free).

Exactly.  Just roll with the punches.  You iPad and my old iPhone 3G are SOL.  Im not losing sleep over it.

You iPad is basically worthless in every other way (hence your dedicating it exclusively as a remote) yet you expect ONE app, a tiny app, to continue to support you despite Apple ditching you??  Come on, get over it.  Buy a new iPad for like $500.  Big deal.

-P

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2013, 02:32:14 am »

Or you could drop $5 on the new version of the app. :)  it's not like we are all not used to paying for improvements, I just got my email for the pre-order of mc19.

Hilton

« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2013, 06:50:17 am »

I love the app running on my obsolete iPad 1 and my iPhone 4S and would be happy to pay for a Jremote2 for ios 7 compatibility, keeping current JRemote for iPad 1, even if no further development is done on the current version.

With MC19 coming out it makes even more sense to make a new JRemote 2 to coincide with the new release of MC19.

I'd love to see it for windows 8 too!

Cheers!

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:48 am »

Apart from the Windows 8 comment (!), I think most people have already indicated on here they agree with you.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:05 pm »

Will the ability to update/add ratings in IPod Touch/IPhone version be addressed. This is one issue that hasn't been fixed through various updates. That's the only problem I have with JRemote but it's a fairly big one for me. I only listen through JRiver controlled by JRemote, so effectively, I'm unable to rate any songs.

+1 on this.  I totally miss this ability.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2013, 10:31:46 pm »

I have been playing around with JRemote for about a week and finally encountered a problem that I can't solve.

When I hit the Now Playing button, I am taken to a screen with the album cover artwork.
Unfortunately the iPad screen is obscured by another window that looks like the metadata for another track that was playing earlier.
That window allows me to switch between metadata and band bio, but I can't figure out how to close the window.

What do I need to do if I want to see the album artwork on the iPad screen again?

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

vagskal

« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:16 am »

What do I need to do if I want to see the album artwork on the iPad screen again?

Click on the button, top right, that looks like two tags again. It is a toggle.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2013, 08:15:43 am »

Click on the button, top right, that looks like two tags again. It is a toggle.

There are no buttons in the upper right corner.

Across the top of the screen, I see a house icon in the upper left and a volume slider in the middle.
Across the bottom of the screen, there are play controls in the lower left and two tabs "Metadata" and "Artist Bio" in the lower right.

Nea the the bottom left, behind the popup (but still accessible) is a shuffle play toggle.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:29 am »

There are no buttons in the upper right corner.

Across the top of the screen, I see a house icon in the upper left and a volume slider in the middle.
Across the bottom of the screen, there are play controls in the lower left and two tabs "Metadata" and "Artist Bio" in the lower right.

Nea the the bottom left, behind the popup (but still accessible) is a shuffle play toggle.

Hmm. I just rotated the iPad 90% (from portrait to landscape) and now there is a button in the upper right corner.

edtyre

• Recent member
« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »

Hi! New user here.

I just got MC 18 for Mac and JRemote a few days ago. I got everything working smoothly with a server
and client machine on my home network. JRemote will connect to my machines and control or stream
back to my Iphone4 while i'm within my home network, but when i leave my house and try to use,
i can't connect to the server. I have my ip address in the global settings with port :52199

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up