INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Encoder Missing - Help Needed ... Finally  (Read 2350 times)

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
MP3 Encoder Missing - Help Needed ... Finally
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:01:33 am »

Hi there,

I'm getting really frustrated and start regretting having purchased the Mac version of Media Center, and that as a customer since Media Jukebox 6 and someone who tells everyone that they should forget about iTunes and other tools and just get JRiver's Media Center.

Anyway, I've asked the same question on the release thread of 139, 141 and yesterday added it to 142. I hoped it was just missed by JRiver and eventually gets answered, but now I think it got just ignored. Even worse, the third post on the matter got obviously deleted yesterday. Wow!

My problem is that I'm missing a MP3 encoder in Media Center for Mac. I can't convert my files down to 128kbit MP3 for the car's audio SD card reader. Am I'm missing something, is this a bug or is there just no MP3 encoder included yet? If it's the latter, is there a way to implement one myself?

For me that's one of the main features I currently need, making the PC version via Parallels obsolete. If it's just missing for the moment, fine, I know I have to wait. If it's a bug, fine, I have to wait until it gets fixed. If I'm doing something wrong, fine, somebody could tell me what I need to do and I can fix.

I would be very grateful if someone could answer this question, maybe another user as JRiver doesn't seem to want answer this question. Or maybe I'm asking for rocket science, I don't know ...

I understand there are bigger issues for other or the majority of people, but I think and hope an answer on my matter could be very short, but for me very helpful.

Frustrated greetings,

Mighty A-MAN

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MP3 Encoder Missing - Help Needed ... Finally
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:07 am »

If the MP3 encoder for Mac isn't there, it isn't.  As we said in the e-mail, it isn't complete yet.

I don't know when it will be, but in the meantime, you could use the external encoder.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:58 am »

Hi Jim,

If every time a user doesn't find a feature or similar within a program, I guess a lot of programs would have way less features as they in fact have. But thanks for the kind answer, I now know at least that it's not me missing something.

I well know that MC for Mac is way from completion and I'm fine with the alpha status. It's just that I could not imagine that a MP3 decoder is missing, so I thought it's rather an error on my side (human or machine).

When you say "use the external encoder", you mean something I could implement into MC or just a different program? I could not find the option to use an external encoder within MC for Mac.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:17 am »

If it's there, it will be under the Encoder options.  It can start an external program and pass it settings.  Try a search for more information.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

Thank you, Jim. It's not there, so I guess I'll wait until it is and continue using the other programs in the meantime and/or running MC for Windows through Parallels.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:43:42 pm »

It's pretty high on our priority list so you should see MP3 encoding soon.  When it's implemented, you'll see it in the history.  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

MightyA-MAN

• Recent member
  • Senior European Brand ManagerVideo & Computer Games
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »

It's pretty high on our priority list so you should see MP3 encoding soon.  When it's implemented, you'll see it in the history.  Thanks.

Hi JohnT,

That's awesome news and it will mean that I can almost fully switch over to Media Center for Mac, including converting down my music for the car stereo.

Thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

MightyA-MAN

• Recent member
  • Senior European Brand ManagerVideo & Computer Games
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 03:12:25 am »

Hey JohnT,

It is there now - hooray! Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try and see if it's already in the state I need.

All the best,

Mighty A-MAN

EDIT: Aaarrggghhh, the latest version has been pulled. So I guess I need to wait a bit longer then ...

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:21 am »

There should be a build available later today.  It will download a component the first time you encode something to MP3.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:38 pm »

New build is available now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up