INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tagging of files going into incorrect area's  (Read 1780 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
tagging of files going into incorrect area's
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:10 am »

Whilst importing files/albums into MC some albums, specifically compilations, go into unusual "artist" list (i.e.  most compilations go into the "multiple artist" category correctly) . Such as "various" or "various artists" or even into seperate named artist which inevitably puts a complete album in seperate places [very awkward].
Also it appears that a category "unknown artist" appears holding wma files. .

any help would be greatly appreciated  thank you.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: tagging of files going into incorrect area's
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:02:17 am »

I need to explain in more detail:
Here goes.

Are you saying that MC shows the album multiple times, with 1 or 2 tracks in each of those albums?

If so, select all the tracks that belong to one album.  Then, use the Tag Action Window, and examine the Album name.  Does it say "Varies", or is it the same name?  If it varies, then click in the Album field to set the exact title for all the tracks at once.  Refresh with F5 should cause MC to show the tracks in a one album.  Note: the files must also reside in the same directory.

I have tried all of the above from your supplied link......NO JOY.

I think  it is a problem with different composers/artists per track, thus play around with the customize view setting.
The way i do it. (It works good for me, but i am no expert. )The view scheme is Album first and then Album artist (auto). And when an album has different artists, I just keep the artist the same (meaning having different artist per song), but change all album artist tags of the album to Various Artists.

(i just realize you are talking about mc17 while i am still using mc16, so thjs may be useless info)

I have tried this and again   NO JOY.

As for "Alex B's" description of Album/artist field....my system does not show that.

Trying to use the correct terminology for MC  this is what I use.

MC 17.0.189
Set using the [left tree side] Audio/Artists
Set so that each artist is shown alphabetically and each album is listed within that artist.
Nominally the files are FLAC and some mp3 and a very few[which are problematic] wma files. A total of 85859 files or 2.0TB
the files [in the main right hand pane] are columned as "Name-Artist-Album-rating-genre-etc. [not showing Album/Artist(auto) as seen in "Alex B's" suggestion on the link suggested.

the problematic ones/Artists are the following:
(Multiple Artists) - Unknown Album - Unknown Artist - Various - Various Artists & albums [as link suggests] shoiwng several times with 1 or more tracks of the album?

All the files/tracks/albums are in their own respective folders in explorer [all kept in a seperate external server speifically for music usage].

The above has been an issue since I have been using MC for approximately 10 years. With the exception of this issue and a few minor and corrected things...[probably in your archives somewhere] it has been the most satisfactory item of software I have ever had.

If screen shots of my set up would be of any use then I would be glad to send them as long as someone would explain how to do that satisfatorily.

Thanking anyone for any help in this matter.

PS: my apologies if there are multiple typing errors here....I hae MS and amongst other things typing is difficult.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

If you would be willing to send me two forms of a playlist, I'll take a look.

Select all your tracks, and do File > Export Playlist:

Format: Text File (CSV deliminted)
   Included Fields: All Fields
   Output Range: All

and

Format: MPL Playlist (Media Center only)
   Output Range: All

You can PM me and I'll give you an email address.  In your PM, please indicate the names of a couple of tracks that are the problematic ones.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »

A quick look at your mpl and csv files show the the following problems with the tracks you specifically called out as problems.  I suspect your other problem tracks have similar issues:

\Daytripper - Songs Of The Beatles\01 - Day Tripper.mp3

Album Artist: 01 - Track 1

Album Artist should be empty since you want the tracks to show up under (Multiple Artists).  I also noticed that other tracks in the same album have an Album Artist of artist.  Select all tracks from the Album, and clear Album Artist.

\Live Rock\21 - Black Night (Live).mp3

Same thing here - Album Artist is set for some tracks, clear for others.  Clear it for all tracks in this album.

Robin Trower\Live\01 Guitar Speak Ii.mp3

Band and Album Artist is set to Various.  This field should be cleared for all tracks in this album also.

\Women in Rock\01 - Devil Gate Drive.mp3

Same as the others above.

\Buddha Bar VI\01 B-Tribe - Angelic Voices (Rebirth Remix).mp3

Artist is set to Various on the tracks in this album.  You probably want to set individual Artists.  Band has some tracks with the track's artist, Album Artist has some with Various, others are blank.  This might be a case where you want to set Album Artist to Claude Challe, or leave it blank to have the album show up under (Multiple Artists).

You have many albums that have no value set for Album and Artist, so this explains why you see Unknown Album - Unknown Artist.  You have to set these tags.  In some cases, you can pull the values from your filenames, in others it might be more difficult.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:04 am »

:) First & definitely foremost   a big thank you.....Ive been going round this mess for a few years now and your'e help has been just that, a big help.

most of the issue was, as you guessed correctly, the "album/artist" tag.......I generally do not show that tag so out of site/out of mind.

Next please keep the 2 files I sent as there are 1 0r 2 other items I have not yet sorted:

First item.
West Side Story (50th Anniversary Edition)   did have various in "artist"...i removed that and confirmed that the "artist/album" tag was empty....but it still resides in the "unassigned Albums" window  [on its own now]. All of this album is a soundtrack so various artist but I cannot get it into the "multiple artist group ?

As most people do I keep a copy on an external drive of this lot....for obvious reasons.
Does MC when adjusting tags as youve described only adjust those already in the library, in which case if i had to use the back up set would i have to then go through the proceeds as I have just now?

thnak you once again.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »

You're welcome.

First item.
West Side Story (50th Anniversary Edition)   did have various in "artist"...i removed that and confirmed that the "artist/album" tag was empty....but it still resides in the "unassigned Albums" window  [on its own now]. All of this album is a soundtrack so various artist but I cannot get it into the "multiple artist group ?

In the file I have, all tracks have no Artist, or Album Artist.  So, by MC's logic, since all tracks have the same (empty) artist, they can't be Various.  Add track artists in Artist, or set Album Artist to (Multiple Artists) to have the album show up with the rest of your compilations.

A curious note: your Album is listed as Werst Side Story...

As most people do I keep a copy on an external drive of this lot....for obvious reasons.
Does MC when adjusting tags as youve described only adjust those already in the library, in which case if i had to use the back up set would i have to then go through the proceeds as I have just now?

MC by default will write these tags back out to the files.  This won't happen if you've disabled the setting, or the drive is read-only.  With these tags written to the files, the next time you import (in MC or other program), the values will still be there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up