INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray playback and DTS-HD  (Read 2410 times)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
Blu-ray playback and DTS-HD
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:38:09 pm »

Hey

do I still need to purchase Arcsoft TMT to play blu-ray's HD audio properly in JRiver or it is already resolved in recent MC18?

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Blu-ray playback and DTS-HD
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »

You still need the dtsdecoderdll.dll to decode all of DTS-HD (and until there is a third party decoder developed it will be that way).  Without the file you will be able to decode the lossy core of DTS-HD and you can still bitstream the whole thing.
JRiver CEO Elect

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »

Actually, I want to pass uncompressed LPCM through HDMI, my (old) processor does not support HD decoding

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »

Yes, you need dtsdecoderdll.dll for this (note: what you are doing is the "preferred/suggested" method anyway - even if you AVR supported HD decoding).  Note if you want to see how it works you may want to download the Arcsoft TMT Trial

from the Wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php?title=Blu-ray&redirect=no

HD Audio

MC is capable of both bitstreaming and decoding the full range of audio codecs supplied on commercial Blu-ray Discs, including HD codecs Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, with full bitrate and depth preserved.

It is recommended that you use MC to decode HD audio as this allows the full power of MC's audio processing, including Videoclock, to be applied to the decoded sound. However, if you wish, enabling bitstreaming via HDMI in audio settings will pass untouched HD audio to your AV receiver, with no need for other special configuration. Note: it is not possible to send HD audio via S/PDIF.

If you do not enable bitstreaming MC will automatically decode TrueHD soundtracks with no other configuration required. However, to decode DTS-HD you need to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from an installation of Arcsoft TMT installation to one of the following folders: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav, or C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18, or Windows\System32 folder for Windows 7 32-bit / Windows\SysWOW64 folder for Windows 7 64 bit The Windows system folder locations are probably best as these will survive updates, upgrades and reinstallation of MC, but you may use whichever you prefer. If you do not have a copy of the Arcsoft TMT DTS decoder you will still get sound, but MC will decode the regular (non-HD) DTS track instead of DTS-HD.

You can check that TrueHD or DTS-HD is being decoded properly using Audio Path.
JRiver CEO Elect

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »

I've read the FAQ, but it is not clear to me yet..

Actually, I own TMT5 (just by coincidence)
I do not want to upgrade to recently released TMT6, and for my new HTPC I would like to have just JRiver MC18 installed.
Can I just copy this dll or I really need to install BOTH TMT5 and MC18?

thx

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »

Just copy the DLL from the Arcsoft folder to one of those in the Wiki.
JRiver CEO Elect

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »

Great, thanks!

One more question, though -

I remember that couple of years ago the hardware needed to support Protected Audio Path, and I bought ASUS XONAR HDAV1.3

Do I still need it in a new HTPC? I would like to get rid of it.. (since I am using just HDMI)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »

Protected Audio Path (then) needed to prevent Windows from downsampling high-rez sound signal

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:30:27 pm »

You are all good to go over HDMI these days out of the box (I presume the Xonar is not part of your current build).
JRiver CEO Elect

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »

nice,
thanks again :)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:44:55 pm »

One more (silly) question -

where can I verify that DTS-HD is fully decoded and it is not just the Core stream?
I do not have any indication on my processor..

Sometimes I do hear that the sound is a bit 'soft'..
Is there a scientific way to figure that out in MC18?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:28 pm »

While the move is playing, drop back to Std View (press Esc) then press the Audio Path Button (see pic - top right circle) and it will tell you everthing that MC is doing.  You can the have fun playing with the DSP settings till your heart is content!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up