INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 151 with JRemote :) very nice!  (Read 3465 times)

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 151 with JRemote :) very nice!
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:06:29 pm »

The new build seems to be working very well, even with DLNA and JRemote!

Just wanted to say thanks so much! :)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re: MC 151 with JRemote :) very nice!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »

Yeah, I'm loving JRemote...

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:41 am »

Does JRemote provide a better interface than Gizmo?  I am using webGizmo with MC and it connects fine both from my ipad and Itouch. Intersting that you can also play different music on the remote device and from the player device at the same time.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:10 am »

JRemote and MC coupled with the PS Audio PWD is the best thing since oxygen and abbreviations. ;D

kiwi

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 12:28:31 pm »

Does JRemote provide a better interface than Gizmo?  I am using webGizmo with MC and it connects fine both from my ipad and Itouch. Intersting that you can also play different music on the remote device and from the player device at the same time.

Yeah, JRemote is much more polished and friendly to use.  It is a real pleasure.

robertj388

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:10 am »

Has anyone been able to play gapless using jremote??

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 12:54:33 pm »

Has anyone been able to play gapless using jremote??

With jremote targeting the local device or the host?  it's definitely gapless when jremote is just a remote control for the host.  I'll give the other a try.

robertj388

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »

Not sure I understand the difference between local and host.  JRemote is accessing my MacPro which sends music wirelessly to my Pioneer Elite receiver.  If I use airplay, gapless works fine.  If I use DLNA and Media Network, then gapless doesn't work, although I get artwork on the monitor connected to the Pioneer Elite receiver which is very nice.  Thanks for answering my question. 

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:23 pm »

Don't believe Gapless works yet with DLNA.

Philthy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »

It does work great, but it appears the web services that JRemote uses (And Gizmo) crash a lot with the latest version. Spent the entire day reading and listening to music and I ended up having to restart jriver app on my mac mini about a dozen times over the course of maybe 10 hours. Lots of audio drop outs and pops as well, restarting jriver app also fixed that issue.

Hopefully it gets more stable. Definitely alpha stage.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:38 am »

Not sure I understand the difference between local and host.  JRemote is accessing my MacPro which sends music wirelessly to my Pioneer Elite receiver.  If I use airplay, gapless works fine.  If I use DLNA and Media Network, then gapless doesn't work, although I get artwork on the monitor connected to the Pioneer Elite receiver which is very nice.  Thanks for answering my question. 

What device are you using to run the JRemote?  I use an iPad and when going from my MacPro to my Dac wirelessly, the data is actually running through the iPad before it hits the dac.  I posed the question in another thread regarding the functionality of Airplay.  For iTunes, when controlled by the iPad Remote, the MacPro is capable of streaming directly to the Apple TV.  If I power down the iPad, music still plays.  Not so with JRemote doing the same thing via MediaCentre. 

This bit of info then goes toward the gapless question.  What is happening when loaded to the remote device that is not happening when the server is streaming directly to the device?

I'd like to know how everything works in principle. Much of my collection is composed of classical pieces that are not meant to have silent breaks.

kiwi

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:23:28 am »

It all depends on which "device" you have targeted when you're controlling jremote.

If you have one of the players you have defined in mc selected, it will play through those, including directly from mc to AirPlay or dlna. If you. Have "this device" selected, it will play through the iPad which you could reroute to AirPlay.

But you can def just use jremote as a control without having it in the signal path.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:39:01 am »

It all depends on which "device" you have targeted when you're controlling jremote.

If you have one of the players you have defined in mc selected, it will play through those, including directly from mc to AirPlay or dlna. If you. Have "this device" selected, it will play through the iPad which you could reroute to AirPlay.

But you can def just use jremote as a control without having it in the signal path.

Hi kiwi, thank you for the info.  To be sure I understand I'll outline how my system is set up and how I use the devices

1) Mac Pro with all music stored internally.  MC 18 is running

2) Apple TV connected to my DAC via optical and the DAC to my amp

3) iPad with JRemote

I select "this device" and the music runs no problem.  It streams to my iPad and then to the ATV and I am bathed in glorious sound waves :)

I select "that device" meaing the Mac Pro workstation.  I don't hear anything at all.  No music streams to ATV.  My assumption then was that I could only stream to the Apple TV from my iPad. 

I have a DLNA device as well, and I have no issues navigating my files and stremaing directly to it, though I can't use JRemote to control it. 

If I use the latter setup, gapless is absent.  If I go with the first setup with the Apple TV, I get gapless with the iPad but no music whatsoever with the stream directly from the Mac Pro.  Perhaps then Apple TV is not able to receive the signal directly from MC 18?  Or perhaps I have some setting that is not checked within the MC 18 options?

Save for these small hangups, I'm pleased with the software.  I was one of the users that couldn't get the software to remain open for more than 15 seconds before a crash.  I unchecked the auto import setting and all has been well, save for this streaming via Airplay and the gapless issue.

Philthy

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Save for these small hangups, I'm pleased with the software.  I was one of the users that couldn't get the software to remain open for more than 15 seconds before a crash.  I unchecked the auto import setting and all has been well, save for this streaming via Airplay and the gapless issue.

Could you point me to more information on this? I think my inadvertent reply to your issue, may have brought about a glimmer of hope with one of my issues. My issue is with the webgizmo services (server side) that JRemote uses just stops working completely, or sometimes it will disconnect and reconnect over and over until I restart MC 155.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »

Could you point me to more information on this? I think my inadvertent reply to your issue, may have brought about a glimmer of hope with one of my issues. My issue is with the webgizmo services (server side) that JRemote uses just stops working completely, or sometimes it will disconnect and reconnect over and over until I restart MC 151.

Sure!  However, I don't know which issue you are referring to.  Do you mean how my system was crashing over and over?  Or the drop in streaming over wifi?

Philthy

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »

The MC crashing over and over. I wonder if my services issue might be related. I will turn it off and see regardless.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:56:42 pm »

The MC crashing over and over. I wonder if my services issue might be related. I will turn it off and see regardless.

I have load on open for the DLNA service, but the one that was killing me was the automatically scan directories for changes.  So no auto-importing for me and I can use it for hours on end.  Until I tried this on Saturday night, MC would stay open for about 15-20 seconds max.

I suggest turning them both of and then load up again and navigate around the software.  Then, save and close and then upon that open, begin the server module.  This process worked and I have yet to have a crash in 2+ days.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:00 am »

I have load on open for the DLNA service, but the one that was killing me was the automatically scan directories for changes.  So no auto-importing for me and I can use it for hours on end.  Until I tried this on Saturday night, MC would stay open for about 15-20 seconds max.

I suggest turning them both of and then load up again and navigate around the software.  Then, save and close and then upon that open, begin the server module.  This process worked and I have yet to have a crash in 2+ days.
Was your auto-import looking at the local hard drive or somewhere else?

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:46 am »

Was your auto-import looking at the local hard drive or somewhere else?

If by local do you mean the OS drive or another locally installed drive within the box?  If the former, no it was a separate drive.  In fact, 3 separate drives.  All locally installed SATA6GB/s.  As soon as I unclicked the auto-import, the software became stable.  If you would like, I can create a log and turn it back on and send the log off to you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:03 pm »

If by local do you mean the OS drive or another locally installed drive within the box?  If the former, no it was a separate drive.  In fact, 3 separate drives.  All locally installed SATA6GB/s.  As soon as I unclicked the auto-import, the software became stable.  If you would like, I can create a log and turn it back on and send the log off to you.
I was wondering if it was a locally connected drive vs a network drive. Since you have a locally connected drive, it's not the same problem as I was seeing. What types of files were in your auto-imported folder?

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »

I was wondering if it was a locally connected drive vs a network drive. Since you have a locally connected drive, it's not the same problem as I was seeing. What types of files were in your auto-imported folder?

The majority were FLAC and AIFF files.  Along with those were various jpg/jpegs, cue, txt and the odd PDF of artwork or additional info.  There may have been a single tiff and gif thrown in for good measure, but outside of this, they were mainly the music files. 

I did the connections in sequence.  That is, my lossless drives went online first, then I had a lossy (mp3, aac, mp4).  Even without the latter, the auto-import freaked out and hung the software.  The only ability I had was kill -9.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:34:26 pm »

Pirogallo reported that WAV worked but other formats caused a crash.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79413.msg539932#msg539932

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »

Pirogallo reported that WAV worked but other formats caused a crash.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79413.msg539932#msg539932

Excellent!  Thanks for the link to the thread.  I will test this evening using small folders that include just wav and then just mp3 and so on until I have a folder that has a myriad of formats.  At this point, it isn't important for me personally to have the auto-import, more of a convenience.  So have this checked off and being able to use the software has been sublime.  I really wish I could fully describe how happy I am that I am not absolutely locked to iTunes to get the functionality that I want.  MC looks better than iTunes and has FLAC support.  iTunes had super stable integration and Airplay.  Not that MC has all of this and DLNA, well, I can happily migrate systems in the future if required.  I have a bunch of Macs as well as beast of a Hackintosh.  Keeping the Hackintosh updated and alive is a chore, more than a pleasure.  Knowing my library can exist under other OS' is, well, sublime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up