INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?  (Read 5519 times)

pickandchoose

Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:09:08 am »

Hi,

I'm a big fan of MC, especially it's capabilities when it comes to music playback, and handling large libraries!

As much as I like the Gizmo app, I find it lacking compared to other remotes. I really envy Ipad users who get such a nice tablet layout using JRemote (third-party).

I was excited when user Arcturus posted this topic, asking for a possible premium version.

Looking through this subforum I've found over a dozen feature request, with no official replies, going back as far as 2011.

Will there ever be an improved version of Gizmo, with proper tablet support, or are there currently no plans of adding features to/redesigning Gizmo?

Thanks!

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:22 am »

+1

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:41 am »

+1

I rarely use it my self because of the things mentioned. I often turn to my receivers integrated Spotify solution on my Android pad instead.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

packux

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:49:40 am »

+1 for me as well... I try to use Gizmo as much as possible but certainly the unfriendly tablet set-up does really allow for much...Thus, I stick with play/pause which is only a small subset of the things we should be capable of doing with such an app.

I would gladly pay to get a premium version.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »

...I would gladly pay to get a premium version.
+1

pickandchoose

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »

A reply on this subject from a jriver representative would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »

There is no particular reason for them to update the free Gizmo app.

That said, I think there is a market for a third party feature rich android app. I would be willing to spend some money on it.  But, with a free version of gizmo on the market most other people wouldn't and thus we have a catch 22.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »

That said, I think there is a market for a third party feature rich android app. I would be willing to spend some money on it.  But, with a free version of gizmo on the market most other people wouldn't and thus we have a catch 22.

Its not free, it is a feature of MC which is paid for. I probably wouldn't even use MC18 if it wasn't for gizmo.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:44 am »

Its not free, it is a feature of MC which is paid for. I probably wouldn't even use MC18 if it wasn't for gizmo.

I can agree that remote control is one of the most important features to me as well.

But believing you deserve more from Gizmo because you purchased J River is a stretch.  iOS and other phone users must be really upset, they got no free remote control included with J River.

contium

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:57 am »

I can agree that remote control is one of the most important features to me as well.

But believing you deserve more from Gizmo because you purchased J River is a stretch.  iOS and other phone users must be really upset, they got no free remote control included with J River.

Not deserve but rather desire. Look at their home page. Gizmo is a feature they are using to sell MC18 and can only be used with MC18. An app isn't free is it requires you to run a $50 server. I would imagine most who buy into it expect continued development. And nowhere do they state iOS support so no one should be upset. Given JRiver's past stance on Apple, I'm personally shocked as hell that they came out with OSX version of MC18. But really, I'm pretty happy with Gizmo as is I'm just supportive of people who want more.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:16 am »

@pickandchoose

What exactly about it do you find not tablet friendly? I use it with my Nexus 7 daily.

That said like you I would love nothing more then to have a app on par with the IOS version and don't mind paying for it. I also would not still be using JRiver if not for Gizmo.

Looking over this forum though it seems to fall on deaf ears as hundreds have asked for this.

JRiver being a small team though I guess they don't have the time or resources to do it at the moment. Seeing as JRiver is a very niche player also I guess there wouldn't be enough demand for them to justify them dedicating more time on it.

Can't stress how much more pleasing it is to browse my media and control JRiver with my android device then with some old school remote like I use to do when I was using MediaBrowser.

But for what its worth I can still make playlists by long pressing on items and view the playlist and so on so everything that really needs to be there is there.

But again JRiver Staff PLEASE make a premium version of the app if it helps encourage you to update it and Take My Money :)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:13 am »

I would gladly pay to get a premium version.
+1

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27:29 pm »

I'm lucky enough to own an ipad and iphone and so get to use JRemote - a piece of software that will fundamentally change how you interact with your music and boost your overall listening enjoyment...It really is that slick!
It has been worth EVERY penny.

However I am soon to transition from an iPhone to android, so for those times when I'm not home (and able to use the ipad) and traveling, I'm going to have to use Gizmo...im gonna REALLY miss the ability to rate songs on the go in particular.

LesPaul (JRemote developer), if you're reading this, maybe you could could whip-up a JRemote Lite for android (cos s/w developmnet is that easy!) with some basic fundamentals (song ratings) and sell for maybe $5 (instead of the $10 for JRemote)?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:07:27 am »

+1 for this as well.

I happily paid hundreds of dollars years ago for Girder and NetRemote products/updates some 10 years and I still don't have anywhere near the same capabilities  in Gizmo- heck I can't even rate a song that is playing yet.

I just ponied up another $100 for a iRule license (as I am looking for more than just a music remote) and threw together a basic panel that embeds WebGizmo as portion of my music panel.

I wish I was a developer.... sigh...

shrike645

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:19 am »

I'll just put it out there that Eos for the Blackberry OS10 is going to be a very nice JR remote. I haven't played with the ios JRemote much but Eos is very close.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:55 am »

I'll just put it out there that Eos for the Blackberry OS10 is going to be a very nice JR remote. I haven't played with the ios JRemote much but Eos is very close.

Then let us hope he ports it to android. It's over half the market now no reason to be shunned by developers.
It is even less likely I would ever own a IOS product then a black berry.

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 05:17:47 pm »

There's a difference in business decisions that determine development prioritization.

1. Though we use it to market our main software, we won't ever update our free accessory because it's free. The only thing that makes us profitable is the pricetag on our main product.

2. Offering quality service and perks keeps our customers happy, which has them referring others; thus quality customer service and supporting our accessories are profitable because they help us sell our main product.

#1 Above would drive you to say there's no reason to update a free app, and there's no reason for a restaurant to repair the broken legs on chairs. The chairs are free, the people only pay for the food, so they can sit on the floor or try to balance a chair on the 2 functional legs. This is how a restaurant gets profitable!

#2 Would drive you to be invest in the resources to be responsive to forum posts and to keep mobile apps up to date, as otherwise the brand would suffer, which causes sales to suffer. The perks of a software or a restaurant is what sets them apart. Fuddruckers doesn't leave out old toppings, even though customers don't pay for them; McDonald's doesn't have dirty and unmaintained Play Places. Disney World works to keep the paint nice and new-looking. None of these are profitable in and of themselves, but these perks are what make the whole businesses profitable.

For me, the Gizmo app was a major reason I bought my JRiver license. Had I realized it would never be supported or have the design fixed (for example, you cannot multitask while using this app. It doesn't run as a service that stays open the same way every other media app does, so Android shuts it down), I maight not have purchased it.

Others who are now reading through the forums to see if the mobile software is up to part may find the posts I didn't - years of requests with no response from the company.

That's bad for business - it creates unhappy customers who won't recommend (or will recommend against) the main product, and creates obstacles to new customers as it appears the company creates software only to let it go unsupported and out-dated. There is a reason to keep the free Gizmo app updated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »

Gizmo does get updated.  The last update was May 10.  That doesn't mean that it will be changed to do what you want, but it isn't accurate to suggest that it isn't updated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »

For me, the Gizmo app was a major reason I bought my JRiver license. Had I realized it would never be supported or have the design fixed (for example, you cannot multitask while using this app. It doesn't run as a service that stays open the same way every other media app does, so Android shuts it down), I maight not have purchased it.
I use Gizmo every day.  If the phone rings or I need to check email, it still goes on playing.  I don't know what you're seeing.

Maybe you're using WebGizmo, not Gizmo?  See the wiki for the details.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 06:04:32 pm »

I use Gizmo every day.  If the phone rings or I need to check email, it still goes on playing.  I don't know what you're seeing.

I see what SecondJon sees.  Using it to control the player on my PC.  If I am on playing now and I go out to check email etc when I come back I come back to the main screen and have to click through to Playing now (or wherever I was)

I too have been disappointed with the development of Gizmo.  After how many years now? and I still can't see my playing now if it is more than 100 (or so) songs?  I iterate again: I could do this with NetRemote 10 years ago!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »

What version of Android and what phone do you have?

Pistensau

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:58:29 am »

and I still can't see my playing now if it is more than 100 (or so) songs?

I have a similar problem when playing playlists of more than 100 tracks as described in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80488.0

Samsung Galaxy W I8150
Android Version 2.3.6

But this is the only item I have to remark on this nice app.

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 06:47:23 am »

You may remember me from such posts as http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80435.0. I too experience the same problems of it crashing at the blink of an eye.  I've even tried to spend money fixing it.  I have now paid for 2 apps that both try and keep gizmo open.  Unfortunately they both failed and the money was wasted. 

The last update if I remember correctly was too add features.  Nothing wrong with adding features.  You can add so many features that in the end it is a full app and has all the features of the desktop. 

But J rivers doesn't need to do that.  The product is good and I like what it does.  But the constant crashing at drop of a hat is killing me.  Especially since after I reopen it there is no resuming of where it left off. 

I like the J Rivers app a lot.  so much so that I have upgraded from version 12 every year until now.  I must admit the version from 17 to 18 didn't offer me much but I still did it in hopes that it gets better Gizmo support.  I will probably do the same for version 19 in hopes that it gets better Gizmo support.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:27 am »

I have not seen Gizmo "crash".

I have seen network problems that caused trouble.

I have seen the phone reboot spontaneously.

I have not seen a crash.

Maybe you mean something other than a crash.  Maybe you mean it stops working.

The network must be reliable.  Here's an example of what it can look like when it isn't:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80955.msg551551#msg551551

Moolok

Re: Re: Will there be a new (improved) version of Gizmo?
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:53 am »

I want just one improvement on Gizmo : a cache for album art so it doesn't need to download them everytime. It's a pain especially with slow mobile 3G connection.

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »

What version of Android and what phone do you have?

Phone:
HTC Sensation
Android 4.0.3
HTC Sense 3.6

Tablet:
Asus Transformer Pad TF700T
Android 4.2.1

I have not seen Gizmo "crash".

I have seen network problems that caused trouble.

I have seen the phone reboot spontaneously.

I have not seen a crash.

Maybe you mean something other than a crash.  Maybe you mean it stops working.

The network must be reliable.  Here's an example of what it can look like when it isn't:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80955.msg551551#msg551551

Android apps get shut down by Android unless they are programmed to do otherwise. I'm forgetting the terminology, but apps like Google Play and Pandora stay in the task bar. Google Maps doesn't, but Google Navigation does, because it needs to stay open. These apps stay open with an icon in the top bar. Gizmo does not. This is part of the app design, and I'm surprised that this is not known.

I believe what is happening is that Gizmo, like apps that have no reason to keep running, gets shut down by Android automatically to free up memory. This is a feature of Android to save battery life - unless an app is specifically requesting to remain open, it's eligible to be automatically managed by the OS, and there's ways to program apps on what they are to do when Android wants to do this, such as saving the state of an app, so when the user switches back. It looks like Gizmo attempts to do this, as when I switch back I see a flash of the "Now Playing" screen with just that title (no album cover or playback buttons) before it reverts to the initial screen.

My experience is: Run android app gizmo, connect, start playing audio. Check to see new email subject. Switch back really fast to Gizmo, and it keeps playing. Go back to read the email that came in, and several seconds later, audio stops. Switch back to Gizmo, and after a flash on the "now playing" screen without any album/song data displaying, it takes me back to the initial starting Gizmo screen. Playlist lost. It's not the network, as this only happens when I switch apps. I can seem to listen indefinitely unless I switch apps.

This happens on my home wifi as well as 4G. It happened when the server was on Wifi, and it happens now that I've wired the server to the router.

I'll grab some screenshots of the experience if this is still not a known issue.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

It would be great if Gizmo handled the virtual buttons better.  On my Galaxy Nexus, The "back", "home", and "recent" buttons do not disappear when playing a video on the device.  Youtube and Netflix do this perfectly!

David

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20:24 am »

Android apps get shut down by Android unless they are programmed to do otherwise. I'm forgetting the terminology, but apps like Google Play and Pandora stay in the task bar. Google Maps doesn't, but Google Navigation does, because it needs to stay open. These apps stay open with an icon in the top bar. Gizmo does not. This is part of the app design, and I'm surprised that this is not known.

Just because you're not seeing a notification icon, that doesn't mean a program is not running in the background.
Pages: [1]   Go Up