INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a custom tag created in MC be stored in FLAC file?  (Read 3877 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Can a custom tag created in MC be stored in FLAC file?
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »

I have created a new library field in MC called 'Sub_genre', which is intended to provide sub-categories such as Opera, Keyboard, Orchestral, etc, for music tagged with a Genre of 'Classical'. Is it possible to write this new tag to my FLAC files and will it be readable by other players or tag editing software?

David

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Can a custom tag created in MC be stored in FLAC file?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »

The FLAC specification uses the Vorbis Comment system.   That system states:

" Individual 'vendors' may use non-standard field names within reason. "

For example, when you download an HDTracks file in FLAC, it has an "HDTracks" tag which just gives the web site address.

So, the FLAC specification allows this, and now we will wait for someone to tell us whether MC18 has a software capability to write it.

(Whether any other software can or will read it, is up to them.  MP3TAG will read such things in what they call "Extended Tags".)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:27 pm »

You can write custom tags to files.  Where you defined the tag, set the Save in file tags (when possible) setting.  Other software such as mp3tag can read the tags.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »

You can write custom tags to files.  Where you defined the tag, set the Save in file tags (when possible) setting.  Other software such as mp3tag can read the tags.
I have selected the Save in file tage (when possible) option for my new Sub_genre tag. However, I have failed to find a way to make this visible in MP3Tag. I assumed the way to do this was simply to define a custom tag of the same name in MP3Tag. Is something else required?

David

kstuart

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »

I have selected the Save in file tage (when possible) option for my new Sub_genre tag. However, I have failed to find a way to make this visible in MP3Tag. I assumed the way to do this was simply to define a custom tag of the same name in MP3Tag. Is something else required?

David
In MP3Tag, right-click on the track, and select "Extended Tags".

Also, in MC18, you might first need to have done "Update Tags from Library".   If you are using Embeded Cue Sheet in FLAC, then revert to version 149 of MC18.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:56:10 am »

Also, in MC18, you might first need to have done "Update Tags from Library".   If you are using Embeded Cue Sheet in FLAC, then revert to version 149 of MC18.
I am getting a little confused here. First of all, I assumed that by selecting the main menu option 'Edit/Update tags when file info changes' that would be enough to ensure all metadata changes would be automatically written back to the tags stored in my FLAC files. Then MrC told me that I had to select the 'Save in file tags (when possible)' option in the setup of my new Sub-Genre custom tag. Both of these have been done, and now you are saying that I also need to select something called 'Update tags from library'.

Three configuration settings for the same thing seems a little excessive! More to the point, where do I find this option called 'Update tags from library'? I could find no reference to it via a search of the MC18 Help pages.

I had already tried and failed to find my Sub_genre tag via the Extended fields list within MP3Tag, which I why I am assuming this tag has not yet been written to the FLAC file by MC18. I have no idea what an 'embedded cue sheet' might be, so I'm guessing that this is probably not relevant in my case.

David

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:21:49 am »

You don't need to manually update via Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library) unless you had disabled Update Tags When File Info Changes at the time the tag was changed.

Writing custom tags works fine - many of use have been using it for years.

I created a new MC field, and called it Sub_genre.

In MC, I added a value for Sub_genre a_subgenre_value.

I had the file already open in MP3tag - a couple seconds later, and the value is available in Extended Tags.  See attached.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:58:53 am »

I am getting a little confused here. First of all, I assumed that by selecting the main menu option 'Edit/Update tags when file info changes' that would be enough to ensure all metadata changes would be automatically written back to the tags stored in my FLAC files. Then MrC told me that I had to select the 'Save in file tags (when possible)' option in the setup of my new Sub-Genre custom tag. Both of these have been done, and now you are saying that I also need to select something called 'Update tags from library'.

Three configuration settings for the same thing seems a little excessive! More to the point, where do I find this option called 'Update tags from library'? I could find no reference to it via a search of the MC18 Help pages.

I had already tried and failed to find my Sub_genre tag via the Extended fields list within MP3Tag, which I why I am assuming this tag has not yet been written to the FLAC file by MC18. I have no idea what an 'embedded cue sheet' might be, so I'm guessing that this is probably not relevant in my case.

David

Update tags when file info changes applies to all fields in the library. Disabling it prevents any changes to tags to be written to your files. It is a global option.

The option to save a custom field to a file is an option that only applies to that field. This option is there so people can create a database field visible in the library but is not stored in file tags to maintain compatibility, for instance with other programs.

MrC explained the update tags from library, it is simply an option to force MC to write out all the library fields back to the files. To give you a practical example when you would need this, I access my files from 2 different pc's. Music resides on a network share and on one pc I added a field and enabled to write the tag to files. This worked fine, and I added the field to the 2nd pc, but forgot to enable to write it to files. I did an 'update library from tags', which filled the field just fine but when I changed this field from pc2, pc1 did not pick up the changes when I did an 'update library from tags'. After I enabled the option to write that field to files on pc2, I had to do an 'update tags from library' to write the values to files, and then I could do an 'update library from tags' on pc1.

These options are available under right mouse click on a track (or selection of tracks), choose Library.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:19:32 am »

You don't need to manually update via Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library) unless you had disabled Update Tags When File Info Changes at the time the tag was changed.

Writing custom tags works fine - many of use have been using it for years.

I created a new MC field, and called it Sub_genre.

In MC, I added a value for Sub_genre a_subgenre_value.

I had the file already open in MP3tag - a couple seconds later, and the value is available in Extended Tags.  See attached.
Hi MrC,
Thanks for clarifying where to find the 'Update Tags (from library)' option. I now realise this option only becomes visible after you select some files. However, even with the addition of the parentheses, a Help search for 'Update Tags (from library)' still does not produce a match, which seems a little odd.

I had already realised that part of my problem is that all my Sub_genre values had been created before you advised me to set the 'Save in file tags (when possible)' option. Deliberately updating some of these Sub_genres then made this data visible in the Extended Tags window in MP3Tag (and now all are visible after running a tag update in MC18). However, that is not where I was originally expecting to find a reference to Sub_genre in MP3Tag. I was hoping to add Sub_genre as a new column in the main window of MP3Tag by clicking on Customise columns and then creating a new tag based on Sub_genre found via the Extended fields listing. The problem is that Sub_genre still does not appear in that list.

David

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:23:31 am »

By the way, I should make it clear that MP3Tag is just as new to me as MC18. I've only been using both programs for a matter of days. I still have much to learn...

David

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:31:01 am »

As my remaining issue (about making my new custom tag visible in the main window of MP3Tag) is not really relevant here I will raise it in the MP3Tag forum.

My questions on this topic that concern MC18 have now all been answered - for which much thanks to all those who replied  :)

David

kstuart

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:54:50 pm »

As my remaining issue (about making my new custom tag visible in the main window of MP3Tag) is not really relevant here I will raise it in the MP3Tag forum.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »

I know how to display the Extended Tags window but what I was hoping to do was to include my custom tag as one of the columns in the main display of MP3Tag. I suspect it cannot be done...

David

kstuart

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »

I know how to display the Extended Tags window but what I was hoping to do was to include my custom tag as one of the columns in the main display of MP3Tag. I suspect it cannot be done...

David
Try adding it in Options->Tag Panel (of mp3tag)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »

Try adding it in Options->Tag Panel (of mp3tag)
I don't see any option there to select an Extended Tag.

David

MrC

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »

Add a custom column by right clicking a column and Customize Columns...

I added my Reference ID field.  See attached.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42:58 pm »

Ah, so that's how you do it! As previously mentioned, I simply assumed that I should be looking for my tag in the Extended Tags list. I wasn't aware that percentage signs were the magic elixir. Many thanks for this useful revelation.

BTW, did I miss something obvious in MP3Tag that explains this procedure?

MP3Tag's Help page for customising columns states "You can only use placeholders for tag fields (e.g. %artist%)" and then precedes a list of placeholders with the words "The following placeholders are available", which strongly implies that these are the only options. It says nothing, on that page at least, about creating your own placeholders in a similar format.

David

EDIT:  A closer look at that Help page reveals the entry "%fieldname%   The content of any field name". This was a little too subtle for me at first glance.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

MrC,
Thanks again for all your help, even on subjects other than MC18.

Are you also able to offer solutions for baldness and the Eurozone crisis?

David

MrC

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:28 pm »

You're welcome.

1. Propecia.

2. Centralized European Government.

(or placebos in either case.)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »

I am reconciled to the fact that the top of my head reflects the light. No purveyor of lotions or potions is ever likely to get my money!

I'm now off to bed (it being nearly midnight here in the UK) to dream about custom metadata tags...

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up