INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Actual CD Count...Please Help  (Read 1542 times)

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
Actual CD Count...Please Help
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:28:55 am »

Hi, I'm very new to MC18 used 20 or so days on the trial and then purchased 2 days ago...been reading and reading the posts and wiki..and can see I am no match for this program. all I want is very detailed instructions on how to make the view to see actual cd count and then hope it will save to the backup. so I will have it for eternity... before I purchased MC18 I reinstalled op sys as it was time for it...so I'm good to go with a fresh install. thanks

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Actual CD Count...Please Help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »

To clarify, some folks ask for "CD count" when they really mean "Album count" (i.e. they don't want to count of their physical CDs but want a count of the albums they have cataloged in MC).

Which one do you want?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »

oh thanks for responding...I would like a total count of all albums to show up and I can see this is not going to be easy for me after reading posts. I wonder y its not a commom request or something MC18 just don't do automatically...once again thanks

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

Let's start by making this easy for you.

Go to the Audio > Files view, and select View > Customize View.
Click the Add button and add Album.  Move it to the second or third position in Show Categories In This Order.
Click OK  - you can save the view to a new view, or overwrite the existing one.

You now have Album count shown under the Album column in the parens after All Albums.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:09:49 pm »

ok see this is where the problem is. I already have that as it came as default...so I misspoke. I guess I want the total count of all cd's the disc 1 and the disc 2 ect, ect, and all the other cd's with the same name but different artists to be counted. that view reports only 8725 and I know I have over 10,000 cd's. i'm sorry for the confusion and again thanks for your help.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:20:07 pm »

Ok, good.  I confess... one of my goals was to start leading you down a path so that you can see how to accomplish what you're after.

So, lets go further down that path...

For the view we customized earlier, select that Album field, and edit it.  Change the Type to Expression, and add the expression:

[Album] [Disc #] by [Album Artist (auto)] /([Date (year)]/)

Set the name to something like: Album Disc# Album Artist (auto) Date, and OK your way out.

Now your "album" list is broken out, one per disc, such that different artists and dates are rendered uniquely.  In otherwords, you've defined an album to be the compounding of album, disc #, artist, and date.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »

Oh U R The master...lol...that worked...is there a data base for all these codes ([Album] [Disc #] by [Album Artist (auto)] /([Date (year)]/) some where for me to get my hands on? and that second view we made first is named 'Panes Copy' can I rename that also? and thank you so much. do u have a tip jar?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:03:08 pm »

I'm feeling the master of my domain today.  Thanks.

Here's the reference:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29

Of course, these are available in Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library  Fields...

Yes, you can name the views anything you want.  They are yours to change.  (note: the cautionary view Overwrite warning is just so that new users don't unintentionally obliterate their stock views and wonder why things no longer seem to work).

For a tip, maybe help someone else someday.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:08:06 pm »

Got It!

Thank You
Pages: [1]   Go Up