INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export Playlists  (Read 24858 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Export Playlists
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:13 pm »

Oh, it's german. After downloading select "Starten", not "Installieren"! Then hit "weiter >". Select "ich akzeptiere das Lizensabkommen" and again hit "weiter". No need to install, it starts right after this. You should give me your "Ihre ID" and your "Kennwort". Then you just have to wait.

Was only german, because my PC is german. Should be in native language for you.

PS.: I'm from germany. It's past midnight over here.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 06:45:44 pm »

I was thinking both to answer questions as you view the laptop

call me collect, or I'll call you.  Just want it to be on my dime.

is there a way for private message?  I don't want my phone number forever on internet.

tell me how to PM

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »

With the teamviewer we can also have a talk (my english is not so good by the way!).
Private Message can be done by clicking on my name on the left and than search for "Send this member a personal message." near the bottom of the page. But again: I'm in germany. If you too, calling would be ok. You'll find my number here:
[Link removed]
It's the number starting with "[number removed]". But as said: we can talk via teamviewer. It worked VERY well the last time I tried. Only used it once.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »

didn't know you can talk with team viewer.  I have no microphone hooked up.
think I might have a USB mike, not sure.

For anyone who says their English is "not so good", I can't tell it from your writing.  It's perfect.

I am in Florida, USA, by the way

Time for you to go to bed.

You know that dinner is on me if you ever you decide to visit Florida.
Probably at least two dinners.

Definitely I will pay for the phone call.  Tomorrow is Sunday, and I will be gone from 12 Noon until about 7 PM.

It is now 8:05 PM EDT here.

I will PM you also.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »

Ok, then we'll give it a try later. I'll remove the link to the site with my phonenumber. If you like to phone, perhaps you already saved my site or number or I'll send it again via PM. Could be a bit difficult with the timing. The next (german) days I'll be not at home because of easter, but in the evening I'll be at home (as I am today :)). Looking forward to a nice talk!

For anyone who says their English is "not so good", I can't tell it from your writing.  It's perfect.
Trust me: you will know as soon as you here me talking ;)

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2013, 07:30:15 pm »

Problem is tomorrow your evening starts at 1PM here, and since I won't be home till about midnight your time, it looks like we will have to postpone until Monday.  If we do not make contact sooner, I will call you about 2 PM your time on Monday.

It appears to be 1:30AM (Easter) at your home (thank you Google), which puts you five hours ahead of me.

Also looks like you are right near Belgian border.

Ocala is in north, central part of Florida.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »

Couldn't put this down.

I started over again by re-Restoring backup, and then when I got to last page (Rename, Move, & Copy Files), I looked closely and find this:

In left side of window, where it says BASE PATH, the entry defaulted to: C:\Users\AFD\Music\

That is wrong for several reasons:
1) that path is on my PC.  On the PC, it is actually C:\Users\AFD\My Music
2) however, that path on PC is empty, since the music library was moved to 'E' drive [E:\My Music]
3) this "BASE PATH" entry refers to the laptop, not to another computer (PC), so do we do anything?

Firstly, in order to change this, I would have to check the DIRECTORIES box, and you say don't check it, so, for now, I'll leave that alone.
Even if I did check it, I wouldn't know what should be in this box.

Comments, please.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »

I partially fixed it. I'll explain:

Remembering that names and actual file locations are tricky (especially when libraries are involved), I fell back on my old standby a VBS script that presents the path to a file or folder if you drag file or folder to the script icon and drop it.

The path presented was not C:\Users\Alan\My Music, it was C:\Users\Alan\Music

I clicked OK and saw my files again, but they still appeared as they were until I clicked a music file and it started playing.
Played SOME files in my Playlist too.

BUT, only some of the albums, artists are now recognized.  A lot still show the generic music icon as a thumbnail placeholder, and the files therein are still not playable.

Only thing I can figure is that some of the library was transferred over while I was still on default Libarary location in 'C' drive, and some after it was moved to 'E' drive.

The ones that are now playable are those that came over from 'C' drive early in the game.  The large majority came over from 'E' and are unplayable

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:01 am »

Further Progress:

I looked at my Auto-Import settings in MJ, and there were no folders identified to watch. After filling that path in, it appears the all of the rest of the Windows Library files were brought into MJ.

Still missing a few files from my one and only PlayList I imported, so will work on that.

Will get back with further updates.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:33 am »

Sounds quiet good :) Now you are on the way to succed ;)

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 06:52:18 pm »

appears that all placeholders are filled on the Album and Artist Interface.  In other words MJ is not looking for anything now.

Missing are those (over 50%) albums which I was having difficulty getting over via the transfer cable before.  I am in process of comparing two MJ libraries and noting missing items.

I think I will just load up maybe forty albums at a time on USB key and install them that way in My Music Library.
I'll first do just one, to be sure MJ goes out and picks it up for its library.

Would you please carefully read my responses from yesterday at 9:02 and 09:57, and comment on those items.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:28 pm »

It's getting more and more tricky to follow your explanations.

By using autoimport, library restore and some manual file copying at the same time you are messing up things instead reaching your goal. And it's difficult for me to figure out what exactly you did and what is going on.

You are right now doing some try and error. In the end it will lead you to some kind of outcome. At least you will be able to play all your transfered files in MC. But you'll perhaps lose all your playlists.

If you want to use the way I described above (export MJs library, import it, use find & replace to fix things) it is important to have the same folder structure at both systems.

This means:
If you watch again at the field filename at your source PC you'll notice that (hopefully) all your files start with the same string, lets say C:\Users\Alan\Music. Lets call this string "part 1". The content after this string differs for every file. Maybe some are equal in parts of the rest, but some are completely different. Let's call the second, file individual part "part 2". You will see this filename structure in MJ as well as in windows itself, because MJ only mirrors the real filename from windows in this field.

For the beginning forget MJ, just have a look at the filepath with windows. If you copy your files from your PC to your Laptop you get a new part 1. Let's call this new part 1 lets say "part 1 new". You have to ensure that part 1 new is again the same for all files outside MJ. It may be differ in compare to part 1 but it must be the same for all files on the new system compared to each other. Part 2 must be the same as it was on the source system. Part 2 must be identical for your PC and your Laptop.

Now back to MJ. If you restore your library as we did above (you should be an expert for this right now ;)), you already get the right part 2 for all files, because this didn't change between both Computers. We don't have to work on that. If you take a look at the field filename you'll notice that MJ is searching the files at the old location: MJ uses part 1 but it should use part 1 new. So we must tell MJ, that part 1 now has changed to part 1 new for every file. Therefor you use the find & replace tool as described above. We let MJ search for part 1 and replace it with part 1 new. No need for activating the directory tool, because the find & replace will do this job for us.

Hope this gives you some background of what is happening ;) Perhaps this is the missing piece of the puzzle...

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:18 am »

Trying to take it all in.
At this point I have moved all folders/files over, and they are all in MJ.
I'll be back later.

Many, many thanks to StFeder who has bent over backwards to help me.
If I could give him a gold star, I would.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up