INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio Parametric equalizer filters and plug-ins.  (Read 3022 times)

cooderhead

• Recent member
DSP Studio Parametric equalizer filters and plug-ins.
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »

I am brand new to JRiver and very happy with the vast improvement since graduating from itunes. Hope soem of you will be willing to help me out.
      Using the DSP Studio / Parametric Equalizer.....which are the best filter for me to use and same with the plug-ins.
   I have a small Living Room with small Bose and Boston Acoustics speakers....using surround sound. I am converting many of my favorite files to WAVE and see purchasing a DAC in the future.
   Comments????    Cooderhead

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP Studio Parametric equalizer filters and plug-ins.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:05:15 am »

Welcome.

There's no "best" DSP setup.  If your speakers aren't all the same distance away, you'll get better imaging if you enable "Room Correction" and at least set distances.

Also, if you already have files in some format other than WAV, you won't improve the sound by converting to WAV.  So you might be able to skip that step.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cooderhead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »

Thank you Matt. I have received some false info elsewhere about uncompressing  files to WAV. What you say makes sense....once a photo is compressed....that's it.

But, if there is no "best" DSP setup...do I just experiment and listen to see if I notice any changes. Same hold true for paarmetric equalizer 2?   And the plug-ins......some are associated with Media Center. Should I try / not try?   And convolution....is that an area I should also avoid?   Thanks again, Don(Cooderhead)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »

Your speakers, your room, the speakers' position in your room, your listening position as well as a myriad of other factors will determine the response of your speakers at your listening position. As a result, there's no way that any sort of "generic" DSP setting could possibly do you any good as there are so many variables at work.

If you are interested in digital room correction you need a measurement mic, software for taking the measurements (some which is free), and an understanding of what the measurements mean when taken correctly. Very interesting stuff if you like to understand how and why we hear what we hear......but it's not the kind of thing you pick up over night.

That said, I don't want to discourage you! You might try by changing the graphic equalizer settings (with clip protection selected) while listening and see what happens when you make changes to different frequency bands. If you want to go more in-depth there are a few good measurement mics and preamps out there for fairly cheap, and there's a ton of info on the web about how to go about it correctly.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:33 pm »

What you say makes sense....once a photo is compressed....that's it.

-If you still have the original files... delete your large and misleading Wavs..  

You might try by changing the graphic equalizer settings (with clip protection selected)
+1

Pages: [1]   Go Up