INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-import failing to import everything  (Read 1506 times)

Brovig

• Recent member
Auto-import failing to import everything
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »

I have my whole music collection stored on a Synology NAS. I have a Windows 7 desktop system running MC18 and more recently I have added a Windows 7 laptop that also runs MC18. Both installations of MC18 are pointing to the same folder on the NAS. But for some reason the laptop MC18 has imported about 10% fewer songs/albums than the desktop MC18. It's not finding everything. I checked a few specific cases and found that missing albums are sitting in the same Artist folder as albums that it has not missed.

What could be causing this?

And knowing this, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the other MC18 has not done a complete import either! How can I check?

Thanks kindly for your input on this.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Auto-import failing to import everything
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:22:24 pm »

Is your Synology NAS firmware/software up to date?  There is a known issue with older releases.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Brovig

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:10 am »

Yes it is, but I'd be very surprised if that had any impact. It's not as if I'm running MC on the Synology. I'm just storing the music files/folders there. It's like an external drive. Moreover, I've not had any issue with missing files on the server as far as other applications go.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:54:33 am »

You might be able to find the Synology problems that were reported here a few months ago by using search.  It was a serious firmware issue.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:40 am »

Maybe this is too obvious, but did you check the file extensions? The ones you select on install may not match the file types you can select when running a manual import.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:05:17 am »

Right.  Each folder in AutoImport can have their own set of extensions.

Also, note the Ignore Files Previously Removed setting.  It is also possible that they were imported and miscategorized somehow (the wrong Media Type, for example).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:09 am »

This seems to come up every couple weeks or so here... there have been a few threads discussing it.
Just for the record, I've used Synology 1812+ for a couple years now, never had a problem with auto-import. old firmware, new firmware. I'm even today a few releases behind in Synology software.

Auto-import continues to work flawlessly for me, I wish I knew how to explain why.
I've actually tried to find a failure mode and can't seem to.

The other day, my primary MC music player had been playing along merrily for several hours.  During this time, I ripped a few new CDs that were being ripped from a separate computer, and being stored on the same Synology NAS, in the same overall music folder of course. Within minutes, all the new albums would appear on the primary MC music player.  

Not much help I know!

I have my whole music collection stored on a Synology NAS. I have a Windows 7 desktop system running MC18 and more recently I have added a Windows 7 laptop that also runs MC18. Both installations of MC18 are pointing to the same folder on the NAS. But for some reason the laptop MC18 has imported about 10% fewer songs/albums than the desktop MC18. It's not finding everything. I checked a few specific cases and found that missing albums are sitting in the same Artist folder as albums that it has not missed.

What could be causing this?

And knowing this, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the other MC18 has not done a complete import either! How can I check?

Thanks kindly for your input on this.
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

Brovig

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:27 pm »

Many thanks Glynor, unchecking "Ignore Files Previously Removed" did the trick. The laptop had this checked whereas the desktop did not.

So now I'm wondering how I can find out which files have been "previously removed", and why they've been removed! There's probably a log somewhere of this, no?

And just for the record: the NAS only contains music files; no videos or photos.

Pages: [1]   Go Up