INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with 'date imported' tags  (Read 2611 times)

FrankP1953

• Recent member
Problem with 'date imported' tags
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »

I'm in the middle of ripping my collection, and until a few minutes ago I could view Audio|Recent Albums and it would show the discs I had just ripped. As of a few minutes ago, it seems that all of the 'date imported' tags have been damaged or destroyed. Any ideas?

FrankP1953

• Recent member
Re: Problem with 'date imported' tags
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

The 'date created' tags are okay so I can get the view back how I want it... but it's a little disturbing to think that MC18 just re-imported several hundred discs and tagged them with a new value for 'date imported'.

FrankP1953

• Recent member
Re: Problem with 'date imported' tags and with 'date created' tags
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »

I thought the 'date created' tags would work, but for some strange reason the 'date created' is later than the 'date imported' tag on several discs I've ripped in the last day. So now the 'date created' sort is also no longer correct. This is getting frustrating....

MC 18.0.158, ripping FLAC files to a Synology 412 NAS

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Gizmo 'recent' view is sorting by 'date imported', which is now massively screwed up. Any way to change the sort order in Gizmo?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:40:03 pm »

I don't think MC re-imported your existing files.  What did you mean by "damaged or destroyed"?  This seems to imply Corrupted into Garbage instead of simply changed.

I believe the Date Imported timestamp is the date MC created the record.  And it doesn't create a new record unless it believed the candidate files for import were not in its database (and this would mean new file paths).

Date Created and Date Modified are Windows file system time stamps.  MC just reads these; the file systems makes adjustments when files are modified.  Files will be modified by MC when it writes tags to the files for cover art, audio analysis, or tag changes.  Hence the Date Modified will change.

It is possible your NAS is affecting time stamps.  Be sure you have the latest firmware, as there were known serious bugs with Synology that have been reported here many times.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »

I wonder if this might be a DST thing which, in Sweden at least, came into effect as of the night between 30 and 31 March. I too have a  Synology NAS and today, after DST kicked in, I see massive rescans with MC and probably thumbnail rebuild which makes MC unresponsive for a very very long time. I thought I might leave MC to it during the night and see what happens.

FrankP1953

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:24:20 am »

The problem started before DST kicked in. And yes, MrC, I perhaps have a small tendency to exaggerate. The 'date imported' tags were not destroyed, they were simply rewritten for several hundred albums' worth of tracks - without any intervening change in filenames or filepaths. (Initially, I looked at the 'date imported' tag at the album level, and they were all marked as 'date varies', which set me into a panic.)

My Synology is up to date with latest firmware.

It makes sense to me that the 'date modified' value will change when I re-tag cover art or something. But I still cannot imagine how 'date created' can be later than 'date imported'.

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:50:06 am »

Since today I have the same problem:
145 of my albums have a new import-date (02.05.2013), so they are on top of the new albums. No idea, why. All my files are located on a smb share on an ubuntu server - for years. Never had a problem. Restart of all systems did not help and today I installed the newest version of JRMC18, which did not solve my issue.

My database contains of 25880 music files and is about 900GB in size.

Any idea?

Bernhard

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:46 am »

In my opinion, following way would fix the problem: Date created is ok, but Date imported is not okay, so date imported must get corrected!
But have no idea how to fix the database.
And what are these two dates for?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 11:21:00 am »

Sorry for the problem.  I'm not sure what might be happening.

If files went away for a while, then later returned, it might cause the records to get their date imported set to the current date.  The only solution in that case to get the dates reverted would be to restore a library backup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »

Dear Matt,

thank you for your prompt answer. But I had that problem during playback. All my files are stored in the same single share, so I think they are / were up and accessible. Today in the morning I updated the fileserver and did a reboot, the share was down for about one or two minutes. Nothing special, I did that in a regular basis and never had and trouble.
The issue happened today around 14:30 - It was the same time, when I copied a new album to that shared folder, where MC finds it in the next minutes, it is configured to watch inside that folder for new files.
But this time, it imported not only this perticular album but many more, which already existed in my database.

My MC computer is running headless, the only connections are power, lan and USB digital interface. If I did it the way you prefer, I had very much to do for a backup after every single import of a new music file. In that case I really need a scheduled backup of the MC database. Maybe this is a good idea for a future release.

Why I am not lucky with my situation: I know, all the data are there, but in date-created and not in date-imported.

How can I edit the database, I would even correct the data by hand!

THX for help,
Bernhard

P.S.: Timestamp on the fileserver didn't chance, still back in 2011

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »

MC makes library backups automatically.  They're in your Documents folder by default (the location can be configured in Options).

If anyone can find a way to reproduce a shift or unexpected change in the date imported field, please let us know.

We'll test on our end as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

FrankP1953

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:19 pm »

Bernhard, sorry to hear you had the same problem, but I'm SO HAPPY TO KNOW I'M NOT CRAZY...

BTW, can anyone answer my other question: Gizmo 'recent' view is sorting by 'date imported'. Any way to change the sort order in Gizmo?

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:59:10 am »

Dear Matt,

thank you so much. You really saved my life!

I had a backup from 14.04. Not exactly from yesterday, but much better than no backup!
Now only the newest albums (after the last backup) are imported in a random order - but that is okay for me. Finally I rescaned the library for changed metadata - so I am up to date again. :-)

The backups are very small (below 2MB). Is it possible to schedule the backups on a more frequent basis?

Frank: I do not use Gizmo. I am running jremote on my iPad - but I think they are very similar. You will find the appropriate settings under options > medianetwork > dlna (Don't know the exact name, I am using the German version). You can create your own queries here.

Bernhard

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:32 am »

MC makes library backups automatically.  They're in your Documents folder by default (the location can be configured in Options).

If anyone can find a way to reproduce a shift or unexpected change in the date imported field, please let us know.

We'll test on our end as well.

Dear Matt,

today I had the same problem again. It happened exactly, when I customized my view. I added a new view for albums with more than 16 bit.
Last time it happened, when I added new files to my shared folder / library.

Thx,
Bernhard

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:37 am »

The issue seems to be solved in the latest version. Don't know why  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up