INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused when adding files into library  (Read 2495 times)

CudB

• Recent member
Confused when adding files into library
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:53:18 pm »

I've been having a weird (well I consider it to be weird) issue with regard to adding files into my library.

It seems when I add audio files from a root folder, Media Center has been skipping over some files.  Then when I go to the specific folder that has these skip tracks and add those specific folders, the tracks are suddenly added.  Does this make sense?  What could be happening?

If I am not making sense, I am happy to further clarify.

Thanks

CudB

• Recent member
Re: Confused when adding files into library
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:02:15 pm »

It's so weird. 

Let's say I take a ROOT folder like:
[THE BEATLES]

inside that folder is the following folders:
[ABBEY ROAD]
[BEATLES FOR SALE]
[REVOLVER]
[RUBBER SOUL]
[SGT PEPPER]

i am having this issue where it adds
all the folders but except [REVOLVER]

upon reading the report of the files added, it doesn't say that there were any errors or failed imports.

But then when I go to look for the Revolver in my library, it's not there.

So then I go to Library> Import Single Folder> The Beatles > Revolver

and then it suddenly imports.  But it will not import when I try to import The Beatles as a folder.

If I am importing 300,000 tracks, how am i going to know which folders Media Center has skipped.  And I have no idea why this would be happening.

Can anyone shed some light?

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »

I just want to note that I downgraded to MC17 to experiment and the problem is not happening in MC17.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be?

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:51 pm »

What was the first version of MC18 that you installed ?

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »

The version I was using initially was 18.0.106

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:39 am »

Please upgrade to the latest build from the top of this board.

Also, double-check that the folder is not marked as hidden or system at the filesystem level (both of which will cause MC to skip it).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:27 am »

I did both before posting.  I upgraded to the latest version MC18 as offered on the site and I confirmed that the folders and files were not hidden.  It still didn't resolve the problem.

When I add my library in MC18 it adds 1615 audio files.  When I add the same library using MC17 it adds 1687 audio files. This is using the same root folder.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »

Is it possible that your import definitions are different on the two versions?

if you want to export the file list from both versions as a text file (csv format), we can compare them to see exactly which files were not imported on one system.  You can attach the exported playlists here, or email them to me (PM for address).

To do this, create a Smartlist that includes all Media Types, and then File > Export Playlist, select Text File (CSV delimited), Included Fields: All Fields, and Output Range: All.  You could instead choose an M3U Playlist (simple), but having the CSV with all fields might provide additional info beyond the imported file differences.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »

Is it possible that your import definitions are different on the two versions?

if you want to export the file list from both versions as a text file (csv format), we can compare them to see exactly which files were not imported on one system.  You can attach the exported playlists here, or email them to me (PM for address).

To do this, create a Smartlist that includes all Media Types, and then File > Export Playlist, select Text File (CSV delimited), Included Fields: All Fields, and Output Range: All.  You could instead choose an M3U Playlist (simple), but having the CSV with all fields might provide additional info beyond the imported file differences.

I usually just import from File > Library> Import > Import A Single Folder

That's all I do.  So maybe I'm unsure what you mean? 

MrC

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »

Under Import a single folder, there is an area to select the file types you want imported (Import these file types).  Do both if your installs (17 and 18) have the same exact set of file types selected under Audio, etc. ?  Obviously the same folder tree would need to be imported too.

Regarding your PM about how to create an exported playlist:

... if its not too much trouble, could you further explain?

Each each MC install you have (17 and 18), create a new smartlist with F9.  Under Rules, in the first pull-down select Media Type, in the second one select is, and select all the media types to appear in the third pull down.  This should now list all your files imported in MC.  Now, go to File > Export Playlist and select the options mentioned above.  Name the export Filename something like MC17 Export and MC18 Export, and save it to your Desktop.  When you have these exports for both versions, compress them into a zip file and attach them to a reply here.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:44 am »

I have tried doing this.  I was able to create a smartlist using MC17.  But when I had MC18 running on the same computer with MC17 it was encountering problems and I wasn't able to do this.  I then uninstalled MC18.  There is no difference in the way I have the import set up between MC17 and MC18.  In my inexperienced opinion, there is clearly something wrong with MC18.  Does no one else experience these things? I will be happy to try creating the two smartlists again when I'm off work, but I don't think it will show anything.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:02 am »

The only difference I can note with regard to importing is that MC17 has a "ignore previously removed files" option (which I remain unchecked).  I don't see this option on MC18.  How do I make sure that MC18 adds previously removed files?

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »

The only difference I can note with regard to importing is that MC17 has a "ignore previously removed files" option (which I remain unchecked).  I don't see this option on MC18.  How do I make sure that MC18 adds previously removed files?

Anyone know?

MrC

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »

18.0.12 (7/19/2012)

15. Changed: The auto-import setting to ignore previously imported files is no longer a per-folder setting.

When you manually import a folder, it should always import the files.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:13:29 am »

When you manually import a folder, it should always import the files.

OK, but then what could the problem be.  I've attempted to make a smartlist with both MC17 and MC18, however, I haven't been able to properly use one version with the other installed as it keeps crashing.

What I will say is that straight out of a fresh install, I import the same folder with the exact same file types selected (ONLY AUDIO.....all FLAC files)....

when i import that folder with MC17 i get 100% of the contents
when i import that folder with MC18 i get about 80-90% of the contents

There is nothing unique about the folders which MC18 omits.  There are no filetypes which I have left unchecked which it could be omitting.

There are no hidden folders.  As far as I'm concerned, this can only be a bug.  If I keep trying to make a smartlist, what will this show you?

MrC

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »

I would say this is the problem...

... I've attempted to make a smartlist with both MC17 and MC18, however, I haven't been able to properly use one version with the other installed as it keeps crashing.

Probably JRiver will need to understand why both version keep crashing.  How and where, and under what circumstances does the crash occur?  Is it always the same?  Do other apps on your system crash too?

The purpose of obtaining the list of files was in response to you stating that one version imports fewer files than the other.  So it seems logical to discover which files are missing and to determine if there is anything curious about them.  Since now you say both version crash, there may be something more going on.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:23 am »

Is it bad if I just use 17, I don't see any problem with it.

I would say this is the problem...

Probably JRiver will need to understand why both version keep crashing.  How and where, and under what circumstances does the crash occur?  Is it always the same?  Do other apps on your system crash too?

The purpose of obtaining the list of files was in response to you stating that one version imports fewer files than the other.  So it seems logical to discover which files are missing and to determine if there is anything curious about them.  Since now you say both version crash, there may be something more going on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up