INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A big Thank You for a little new feature  (Read 2327 times)

jkauff

• World Citizen
A big Thank You for a little new feature
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:47 pm »

Thank you to whoever implemented hiding the Sidecar files in a separate folder for folders full of single-file videos. Having them in the same folder drove me nuts, and caused me to uninstall Media Center once.

Now, once again, I can easily browse my titles! Thank you so much.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: A big Thank You for a little new feature
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:55:13 pm »

Are you sure that this has been implemented?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:29:56 am »

Not something I'm aware of either. I wonder if jkauff performed an "update tags from library" on some of those video files (not wmv ones), would MC write out sidecars beside the files?

I suppose it's down to things like workflows and usage scenarios, but personally, I never browse my titles in Explorer, for any media type. It's all done within MC. I like to keep them organised on disk, because I'm like that, but again, I get MC to do that for me. Playback is always initiated from within MC, never from Explorer.

Sometimes, it's just about a new approach. MC sits between us and the files on disk and presents them, and manages them, in a far superior manner to any file manager out there. Let MC take the strain, it's more than capable.

I appreciate that having said that, there is a learning curve, and one needs confidence and a fair bit of the curve to give MC the correct instructions in the first place, but it's worth the learning, as you work less and less in Explorer and more and more in MC. After a few months, MC will have everything the way you like it and you will never look back.

-marko

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:16 am »

Are you sure that this has been implemented?
There's now a hidden folder called _gsdata_\_saved_\[subfolder name] that contains all the .xml and .jpg files. I'm using the latest build, so maybe it's new and not announced. I did recently rebuild my library, though, so maybe that's when it happens.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:04 am »

_gsdata_ is a folder created by a Software called "GoodSync", it has nothing to do with MC
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:17 am »

Yup, what nevcairiel said. By default, GoodSync will delete files from the "Saved" folder 30 days after being placed there.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:27 pm »

_gsdata_ is a folder created by a Software called "GoodSync", it has nothing to do with MC
I did try GoodSync, but uninstalled it. I guess it didn't clean up after itself.

Guess I'll delete the folders and see what MC does. And I'll have to keep lobbying for the feature.  :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

I did try GoodSync, but uninstalled it. I guess it didn't clean up after itself.

Guess I'll delete the folders and see what MC does. And I'll have to keep lobbying for the feature.  :(

You can disable sidecar writing entirely if you don't need them.  It sounds like you may have done so, because you're not seeing them anymore in your "active directories".  The ones in the _gsdata_ folders are archive copies of things you used to have in that folder but deleted, altered, or moved (that's one of the things GoodSync does, and no, it doesn't remove these when you uninstall it because they're backups and deleting them would be a bad thing).

To enable or disable sidecar writing for video files go to:
Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Store tags in external sidecar files and uncheck Video.

* By the way, it isn't like I remember where each and every single one of these options are in the Options panel.  To find that one, I just typed "side" in the search box at the bottom (I was typing sidecar in the box but didn't have to get that far).  The Options search is very handy.  If you're ever looking for a way to tweak something, try a couple relevant searches in the box and see what you find.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:36:51 am »

You can disable sidecar writing entirely if you don't need them.  It sounds like you may have done so, because you're not seeing them anymore in your "active directories".  The ones in the _gsdata_ folders are archive copies of things you used to have in that folder but deleted, altered, or moved (that's one of the things GoodSync does, and no, it doesn't remove these when you uninstall it because they're backups and deleting them would be a bad thing).

To enable or disable sidecar writing for video files go to:
Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Store tags in external sidecar files and uncheck Video.

* By the way, it isn't like I remember where each and every single one of these options are in the Options panel.  To find that one, I just typed "side" in the search box at the bottom (I was typing sidecar in the box but didn't have to get that far).  The Options search is very handy.  If you're ever looking for a way to tweak something, try a couple relevant searches in the box and see what you find.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I like the Sidecar data. I did have it turned off for awhile. My new solution is to point the MC library to my backup drives so the files don't litter my main folders.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:26 am »

edit: nvm  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up