INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 stream to uPnP Renderer?  (Read 2527 times)

zkeller

• Recent member
MC18 stream to uPnP Renderer?
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:29:37 am »

I have a trial version of MC 18 and am trying to stream audio to the uPnP Renderer in my Primare media module.

I have read so much on the forum and wiki and am struggling to work out which info applies to which version of MC. Would really appreciate it if someone can tell me if I can stream 'bit perfect' (preferably pure FLAC files) to my Primare DAC using uPnP rather than USB?

tx
Zane

Primare i32 with MM30 DAC/media module (uPnP, not DLNA I believe)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 stream to uPnP Renderer?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:56:03 am »

If it's a upnp renderer then it should appear automatically in MC's Playing Now menu as a zone. If it doesn't appear, then no you can't send to it via upnp.  If it appears, then simply select it and try playing something to it.

If you have trouble, in the Media Network settings (Tools/Options), find the DLNA settings then Advanced, and you may need to turn off the DLNA and DLNA Extra options.  This reverts MC's DLNA Server to pure upnp.

The DLNA Settings also has an option to transcode/convert or not. If your music collection is FLAC and the Primare supports FLAC over upnp, then turn off the option to transcode and MC will send the file bit-perfectly over upnp. Or simply only convert formats that are not supported.

If it is not working then tell us how you are trying to get it to play, what options you have got set, and what the symptoms are (e.g. if you get an error message from MC).

zkeller

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:15:21 am »

The Primare is up and running!!! MC reports that there is no processing by the MC audio engine, so is bit perfect. And it sounds excellent.

Thank you very much for your help. The problem was my home network setup with some devices being 'static IP' and others DHCP provided. Your help came from know where the device would appear in MC.

Do you know whether the streaming to a DLNA device might be included in the main audio options at some point?

Thanks again for your help

Zane

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:27 am »

MC supports DLNA devices just fine as well. 
JRiver CEO Elect

csimon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:57:58 am »

Do you know whether the streaming to a DLNA device might be included in the main audio options at some point?

Do you mean the DSP processing features?  It's been requested and I think it will probably happen at some point.

zkeller

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:13:38 am »

I was thinking that it might be good to have the DLNA device streaming as one of the output options. So instead of ASIO or WASAPI, etc. you would choose DLNA with its set of options, etc.

So instead of looking for the device as a kind of 'zone' it would be a standard output.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »

It depends which way you look at it, but it's basically all the same thing.

When you play media you are actually already using a zone. If you look in Playing Now, it will be called "Here" or "<your server name>". This is the default zone that is created automatically, all settings you make are stored in that zone and it's the one that you connect to automatically.

However, you can create new zones. You might do this, for example, to output audio to HDMI instead of your sound card's outputs. Or you might want to separate your sound card's 5.1 outputs into 3 discrete stereo pairs to output in sync or separate music to each pair. Or you might want to send output to another instance of MC that's running on antoher PC somewhere on the network. Or you might want to send music to a DLNA device....

Each one of these situations requires setting up a zone. Each time you want to send msuic to a different device, you need to select the relevant zone in Playing Now. Note, however, that DLNA devices automatically appear, you don't need to set them up. What you do need to do is configure then, in Tools/Options/Media Network.

ASIO and WASAPI etc are configuration options specifically for local sound cards, just as there are configuration options specifically for DLNA devices. DLNA in itself isn't a configuration option - it's a destination. Are you simply saying that the DLNA configuration should be moved from Media Network where it currently is, to the Audio section (which at the moment is only applicable to local sound output rather than networking)? What would happen when you want to play music locally instead?  Would you have to go into Audio and change the destination back to WASAPI?
Pages: [1]   Go Up