INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapped Fade with different sample rate  (Read 1145 times)

badou

• Recent member
Gapped Fade with different sample rate
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:26:15 am »

Hello,

I use Gapped Fade (3s) for switching between tracks. When successive tracks use the same bitdepth and sample rate, there's fading and silence between the two tracks.
But when bitdepth, or sample rate, is different there's no fade but sudden drop and spike between the two tracks.
I'm using MC18 rev 158 with DSP format output (24bits with dithering) I though it was an old problem solved a few revisions ago.

Is there someone with the same thing ?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Gapped Fade with different sample rate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:57 am »

When hardware sample rates change, it requires closing and reopening the audio hardware.  There's no way to provide a perfectly smooth transition in this case (especially since some hardware makes a little noise as it switches rates).

One solution is to resample with DSP Studio > Output Format to a single high rate.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:04:17 am »

OK. I suspected such a thing... And you are right, my HRT microStreamer tries to kill my speaker each time I switch between different sample rates ! Send mail to HRT for some advice to limit this.

A stupid question : why not closing device and reopen it after the first track faded ?

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:12 am »

A stupid question : why not closing device and reopen it after the first track faded ?

It should.

Is it not waiting long enough for the first track to finish in this case?

How long of a gapped fade are you using?

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:28:49 am »

No, the track finished a soon as I click "next" without any fading. 1/2 second of silence (sometimes with a LOUD hicupp) and the next track begins.
I'm using "Gapped fade 3s" but 10s doesn't change anything.

I tried to resample with the DSP : I resampled 44.1Khz in 88.2 and 48Khz in 96. When I hit next I have : hiccup, fading, next track !
Resampled all tracks in 96KHz, same thing.

Thanks.

EDIT : I modified the size of my primary buffer. I was using Kernel Streaming with a buffer of 0.05s. With a 0.200s buffer, no hiccup before fading when all files are resampled to 96KHz.
But, with the same primary buffer of 0.2s, I don't resample files, fading is not there when switching between different sample rates.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:05 am »

No, the track finished a soon as I click "next" without any fading. 1/2 second of silence (sometimes with a LOUD hicupp) and the next track begins.
I'm using "Gapped fade 3s" but 10s doesn't change anything.

I see the same and I agree it's not ideal.

Next build:
Changed: Switching between tracks that use a different hardware sample rate will better honor the 'Gapped Fade' between tracks mode.

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:48 am »

I currrently settle down with 0.12s for the primary buffer under Kernel Streaming and DSP resample to 96KHz. Thank you for the advice.
No problem with fading between tracks or hiccups when sample rate change ! It changed my day
I'll comment on the next build as soon as it's published.
Pages: [1]   Go Up