INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cloning Win library to OS X  (Read 2226 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
cloning Win library to OS X
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:36:04 pm »

Hi all –

This is something I was thinking of just now, sparked by how much I wish MC Mac could connect to MC Win's library server.

What's to stop me from dumping out my Win library as XML* and doing a grep on the filename field and changing the Windows directory structure to OS X?

* one HUGE file, sure, but if it's good enough for iTunes...  ::)

Thoughts?
Micah

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: cloning Win library to OS X
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »

You could be a pioneer and try.

Eventually we expect to be able to connect between Mac and Windows.  It's mostly the filename conversion stuff that we haven't solved yet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »

I've done this already - an MPL export/filename munge/MPL import works fine.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »

You could be a pioneer and try.

Eventually we expect to be able to connect between Mac and Windows.  It's mostly the filename conversion stuff that we haven't solved yet.

I shall brave the wild frontier. (Well, after MrC, apparently. ;) )

Micah

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:12 am »

The process is still rather experimental, but I just copied my library files from Windows to a folder on Mac, then did "Add Library" in Mac MC to add this one and called it "Windows Library", then I selected all files and used Find & Replace in "Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." to change "G:/Media" to "/Volumes/Media" in all files, and it seemed to work fine.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:41 am »

The process is still rather experimental, but I just copied my library files from Windows to a folder on Mac, then did "Add Library" in Mac MC to add this one and called it "Windows Library", then I selected all files and used Find & Replace in "Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." to change "G:/Media" to "/Volumes/Media" in all files, and it seemed to work fine.

Oh, right...that function doesn't work in MC Mac yet but one could make a duplicate library on Windows and do it there and that would do it. Thanks for the tip, JohnT!

Micah

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:19 am »

Wait...Macs use the backslash for folder separation. How did you find and replace that? I tried and mine says "invalid".

Micah

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:30 am »

Mac uses forward slash, Windows uses back slash.  When you move the library from Windows, MC on Mac is putting forward slashes in place of the back slashes and then I just replaced the "g:" with "/Volumes"

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:59:55 am »

Mac uses forward slash, Windows uses back slash.  When you move the library from Windows, MC on Mac is putting forward slashes in place of the back slashes and then I just replaced the "g:" with "/Volumes"

Oh, so it's just a matter of replacing the drive name? MC Mac figures it out? Fantastic! Thanks.

Micah

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:57 am »

Let us know how this works for you.  As we refine the process for sharing the library cross platform, feedback on potential "gotchas" will be very helpful.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:20 am »

Let us know how this work for you.  As we refine the process for sharing the library cross platform, feedback on potential "gotchas" will be very helpful.

It worked! I am quite pleased. MC crashed when I loaded the library (unchecked load settings), but then when I restarted the library was there. Ran the change to the database as you suggested and it looks intact. Listening to tunes like a happy camper. :)

Thanks!
Micah

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:39:13 am »

Glad it's working for you.  If you have any more crashes when changing libraries, maybe send a log file to logs at jriver dot com.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:02 am »

Glad it's working for you.  If you have any more crashes when changing libraries, maybe send a log file to logs at jriver dot com.

Will do. Want me to dig up the one I just had?

And I did find a glitch in the find/replace... I had some files that were in my library on a smb share that wasn't assigned a drive letter. (So instead of X:/ they started with //192.168.1.4) I am able to change the IP to the OS X volume name, but the paths got screwy. They went from:

/dir1/dir2/dir3/filename.ext

to

/dir/dir2/dir3/filename.ext/filename.ext/filename.ext //filename.ext

Exactly like that. Real wacky. So I'll see if I can expression myself out of that (probably not, but it's only a few hundred files so I'll get by without hearing them anyway).

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up