INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Tagging  (Read 4254 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Auto Tagging
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »

Hi There,

I general, MC18 tagging of video files of TV episodes is inconsistent and I do not know if there is a setting that I need to 'turn on' or not.

when I have a tv show with a file name such as "house.of.lies.s02e11.hdtv.x264-2hd.mp4:  tagging works perfectly.

However, when a filename is such as "grimm.215.hdtv-lol.mp4" then no tagging is done (name becomes Grimm.215; series, episode, and season are blank).  Is there a way to fix this?

Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto Tagging
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

Carnac doesn't currently understand "grimm.215.hdtv-lol.mp4".  Is that a common naming template?

I'm worried about false-positives with something as general as "word.threenumbers".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:00 pm »

Could you use the "Fill Properties From Filename..." feature to fix this?

Unfortunately I don't think you can use an expression, but if you were to use

[Series].2[Episode].hdtv-lol it at least fills out the Series and Episode information automatically.

(I just renamed a flac file to test it)

I don't know if there's a way to also fill in the season tag automatically. I don't think there's any way to specify how many digits each tag should be looking for when using this feature.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »

I would prefer some false positives than no data whatsoever...

I was thinking that some type of options would be nice.  Often the filenames are in the format name.seasonepisode (eg., criminal.minds.817.hdtv-lol)

Thus, any characters to on the left of a number can refer to series by removing periods (Criminal Minds).  Once you hit a number, the last 2 numbers can refer to episode (17) and any numbers to the left of those two can refer to season (8)  if the number was 2415 then it would refer to season 24 and episode 15 (in the case of a show like the Simpsons where there are over 20- seasons).  any info after the number (hdtv.lol) would be ignored.

Now there is an exception in the case of shows such as castle.2009.518.hdtv-lol that would have to be controlled for.  BUT even if not controlled for, I would still like to see the series name inserted into the correct area and have to correct any false positive data that might occur due to the 2009.  I think that a template (correct term?) could be created that would look for year type data and put it in as part of the series name (any 4 numbers that ranged from 1960 - 2013 for example, if there are other numbers after it)

My 2 cents.

Dave

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »

6233638 - this approach does not work for filenames that have multiple words e.g., the.good.wife.418.hdtv-lol.mp4 VERSUS  the.middle.418.hdtv-lol.mp4

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:32 pm »

6233638 - this approach does not work for filenames that have multiple words e.g., the.good.wife.418.hdtv-lol.mp4 VERSUS  the.middle.418.hdtv-lol.mp4
I wasn't really sure how much you were trying to process, so I only used an example for that specific file.

the.good.wife.418.hdtv-lol.mp4 with:
[Series].4[Episode].hdtv-lol would fill out the series as the.good.wife, which I thought would be enough for "Get Movie & TV Info..." to work after filling out [Season], but you could run "Clean File Properties" to fix the name if it's necessary.

It does seem like it would be useful if there was some way to have it automatically clean the file properties when running "Fill Properties From Filename...", and to be able to specify the number of digits it should be looking for in each tag if you have:

[Series].[Season][Episode].hdtv-lol

What I think should be a safe default, is to presume that if there are three digits and you are splitting them up into [Season][Episode], season is only going to be the first digit.
So 101 would be season 1, episode 1 rather than season 10, episode 1. (which you would expect to be 1001 in that format)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »

I agree that with what you say.  Using the fill from filename takes longer than typing the info into tags given that

[Series].4[Episode].hdtv-lol may be different given season (thus the 4 would change) and the hdtv.lol was just one example and almost every file is different in that regard.

An update to Carnac would be great!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:31:40 pm »

I suppose you are right. I don't download anything, so it's not a problem I've run into, but I have still found the "Fill Properties From Filename..." feature useful.
I just thought that might have worked until there's an update to how MC handles this, if you were having problems with one specific case rather than a lot of items.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 06:17:11 pm »

Matt that is indeed a common format for TV shows, but it's not as popular as the formats carnac currently processes correctly.

DLewington

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:45 am »

j

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »

Next build of MC19:
Changed: Added support to Carnac for the naming format "Series.###" for television shows (ie. grimm.215.hdtv-lol.mp4).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:46:03 pm »

As a late comment side note, I use a piece of renaming software (i.e. theRenamer) that works by quick and easy drag and drop. It's configurable, so you can set up the naming template exactly how you like to see your files. It links into database info like http://thetvdb.com, so it provides confidence that MC will pick up the online metadata without a hitch.

Personally, I don't get the whole thing with populating a file name with a whole lot of "." everywhere. I find a file name more readable with a bit of white space between elements of text. Each to there own..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

FYI: spaces make using command line tools more difficult (quoting problems), and often files go through a series of filter scripts for processing.  By avoiding whitespace in file names, command line argument process is easier.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:20 pm »

Matt - I love the new tagging via CARNAC.  Makes my life much easier and so far has not run into any issues.

After getting info via carnac, I rename each file (or catches of files) using the following command in the Name Tag:  =[Series] - Spadnumber([season],2)Epadnumber([episode],2) - [name]

this keeps all my file names neat and easy to sort - e.g., The Blacklist - S01E08 - General Ludd

I do not need to use any secondary software and now that CARNAC works properly for video, it is extremely fast.

dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up