INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up on remote hard drive  (Read 2363 times)

joetiii

• World Citizen
Setting up on remote hard drive
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

So I am looking to set up my music files on a remote WD hard drive in my home network and I want to access them from within the network, as well as from outside the network. I recently configured the drive so that I can play individual songs from my Galaxy III though that is not my eventual desire. My work PC is wirelessly connected to the network and It is where I do most all of my downloading & file management in MC18. I have a second PC running XP that I use as the primary machine to send music to my two separate Hifi systems in the house.

So I figured I would start building my Library server on the work PC and then "rename" the Files to the the WD HD. I would like to know if my thought process is correct on this as I am not so completely in the know about Network servers.
After moving the files to the WD Hard drive, I will clone my current "Work" library and put it on the WD HD. Correct? This way, I can run MC18 from any PC in or outside the network independently. If this is the case, then I can always use this Library to make additions/changes without having to worry about syncing different librarys. Correct?

I currently haveWebGizmo on my Android and have limited success with it controlling my music. When it works, its great but I am on the Bus quite a bit and am hoping this is not a frequent an occurance with the Library on a hardwired server. Thoughts?

My next situation is how to set up a PC for when I am outside. I know I can currently access files to my droid but have not tried through MC18. I have read there is a program called J Remote but have not heard or read much about. Can anyone point me in the direction of setting up my Laptop for remote server access?

As well, is it possible to listen to playlists outside the network on my Galaxy S111?

Thanks

joetiii

• World Citizen
Re: Setting up on remote hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11:01 am »

Anybody?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:44:28 am »

The wiki has topics that might help:

Media Network

Network Access

Gizmo

Webgizmo

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:16 am »

ill try that thanks

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:01 pm »

OK so I figured out how to port forward properly adn when I use MC18 on my laptop out side of the LAN, I can load the library. When I go to play music, It says the file can not be found.  Not sure why this is. Anybody know?

Funny thing is I can open Gizmo on my SIII and it plays the files over 4G no problem.

When I do the test feature in MC, it says it can not connect through the internet... What else can I try?

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:13:01 pm »

OK so what I discovered today is that You need to remote port forward to the PC where MC18 is installed. When I changed the IP address to my PC, then I am able to access the Library and server. So this is the first step completed.

However, I have the Library and music files on my WD hard drive that is connected by ethernet to the router. Ultimately, I would like to be able to turn off my PC, leave home and access the Library and files off the WD hard drive. What I am thinking is that in my current setup, I have to leave my PC on.

I am thinking out loud now so please don't laugh. It seems the only way I can get Gizmo to access my Library with my PC at home turned off is if I install MC18 on the WD Hard drive. My in experienced brain says it is more than just installing the MC software on the WD Hard drive. How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance. Everyones' help so far is appreciated.

Joe

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:55:22 am »

I take it the WD hard drive is a NAS server. If this is the case then you will still need to leave your PC running as it needs to be the MC server. You can't directly install MC on to your NAS drive. Maybe in the future as J River now are M$ free and have a MAC version.

Rgds...Ross

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »

I take it the WD hard drive is a NAS server. If this is the case then you will still need to leave your PC running as it needs to be the MC server. You can't directly install MC on to your NAS drive. Maybe in the future as J River now are M$ free and have a MAC version.

Rgds...Ross

Thanks Ross,

Where should I stay tuned to see when MC will be able to be installed on a NAS?
Pages: [1]   Go Up