INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover display jerky  (Read 2120 times)

DaveS

• Recent member
Cover display jerky
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:33 am »

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me.

When I switch my PC on the cover animation is nice and smooth in theatre mode, but after a while the cover kinda jerk 3 or 4 times as they come in to focus. It's not a major issue, but would be nice for it to look perfect!

Running version 18, although it did it on 17 also. Win 7 64 bit. Half decent PC and graphics card which doesn't have any trouble with anything else (used to run Borderlands OK a couple of year ago)

Can anyone suggest any fixes? Sorry if I've not given enough info, let me know if there's any info I can provide which will help!  :)

DaveS

• Recent member
Re: Cover display jerky
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:49:30 pm »

Anyone any ideas where I would start to diagnose this problem?

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:36:39 pm »

this happens to me as well.

I've got a new i5 ivy bridge but just use the onboard graphics.
I can't really help as it isn't a dedicated htpc and I always have several other programs running probably why I get most of my jitter.
Isn't there direct x settings somewhere where you can make a trade off, of visual appearance for performance? I think I remember seeing this somewhere. Maybe disabling aero if you are running windows 7 might help.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »

I have seen this when using Automatic Display Settings changing and when JRiver for some reason does not swich the display back to the desktop refresh rate. I my case it has happend when the TV was switched to 24Hz watching a Blu-ray and for some reason did not change back to 60Hz at the end. Browsing Theater view at 24Hz will give jerky animation of covers.

If you use this feature you might want to check this. Do you have any way of checking the refresh rate of your monitor when the covers become jerky?

TLS

DaveS

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:02 pm »

Thanks. Just trying to work this out now but if I'm honest I'm a bit lost!

I have an ATI radeon graphics card plugged into an Onkyo receiver by hdmi which is plugged into an LG plasma my Hdmi

I'm not sure which bit I should be checked the refresh rate on.

The video card says the desktop is at 60hz

Any suggestions where to look?

Any way to force JRiver to switch to a certain refresh rate sink can check I this is the problem?

Thanks!

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:38:19 pm »

I have an Arcam receiver. In that I can choose passthrough which I have done. So in my setup it is JRiver changing the refresh rate.

You can set how this behaves in Options\Video\Display Settings.

Here you have to enable Automatic Display Setting Changing. Set each movie type to the setting you want JRiver to change to. Note the last setting which set the refresh rate when you return to Theater View from playback.

This feature will look for value in the FPS field for each movie when you start playback, so make sure to populate this field if it's not populated already.

I would recommend that you try this with a couple of movies first. Try a DVD and a Blu-ray which uses different refresh rate.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »

I have spent hours trying to resolve this exact same issue on one of my htpc's to no avail. Matt tried to help me at the time but was stumped as well. For me, all Theater View animations become jerky after a while though, not just the cover art.

What video card are you using?

This machine has a low profile radeon 6550. My second htpc (which does not exhibit this problem) is virtually identical EXCEPT that it has a more powerful 6770 GPU.

I did find one very average workaround and that was to force my display's refresh rate to 60hz whilst in theater view (despite 50hz being the default here in Australia) and using MC's auto refresh rate changer to kick in for PAL content (the majority of my video material). It's an poor workaround because MC is constantly switching refresh rates unnecessarily but, it's still better (to me) than a jerky Theater View experience.

I hope a real solution happens one day.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

Same issue here, and I have a beast of a PC, so I doubt it has to do with power.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:25 pm »

I have a HD2000 intel onboard GPU I think, and I have the same problems with jerkyness on the cover art animations. On my rather new workstation with a dedicated ATI GPU, it's fast as expected. So, that leaves me with the impression that this is pretty hardware dependent and that HD2000 might be on the lower end of what's needed.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:00 pm »

I see a single little hiccup in the 3d wall type views like Audio > Showroom in Theater View after I stop scrolling.  It doesn't happen in the 3d flow views like Video > Movies.

Using 'Pause / Break' to watch the FPS, I can see it drop from 60fps to like 50fps for a split second.  It's probably a single stalled frame.

This is on a gaming rig (GTX 680), so I don't think it's related to the hardware at all.

It might be a little pause on the main thread when loading backdrops or loading the full resolution cover for the selected item.

I'll investigate in the debugger when I get a chance.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 01:56:12 am »

Unfortunately, I did not check other than the cover flow style of lists. I did not notice much there. Only a very small hiccup when the resolution changed from thumbnail to the higher resolution cover art. I do not think there's much to do about that one?

When you talk about threading and the possibility that the background switching or downloading might be the cause of some pauses, I think back to all those times when my HTPC freezes for a moment while browsing. I think this is also related to a background changing. I can't say for sure though. I'll see if I can find a pattern.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:45 am »

Bump.

I have this same issue when browsing covers.  I use a 2012 Mac Mini.  Has anyone figured this out? 

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:27 pm »

Just a bit of additional info.
Using an Intel i3-3225 with internal graphics...most of the time scrolling through albums in Theater view was quite smooth.
Occasionally, it would also get pretty "jerky".

Interestingly enough, when running my W4S DAC-2 in Async USB (WASAPI-Event) using supplied W4S Driver, the scrolling is smooth most of the time.
If using my D-07X, same setup using it's own provided driver, the scrolling is MUCH more jerky, most of the time.
...if I were to jump to a conclusion, it'd be that the Esoteric DAC's driver is a heavier CPU load or some such, but It couldn't prove it by looking at Win Performance monitor.

In an effort to give Intel more $$, I swapped out the i3 3225 to an i7 3770S.  Same video, lower CPU clock rate, more cores...and the scrolling is back to very smooth, even with the D-07X.

I tried this with both main and backup computers, the i7 has better scrolling.  :o
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7
Pages: [1]   Go Up