INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refresh Rate Settings  (Read 1251 times)

vroom

• Recent member
Refresh Rate Settings
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:47:43 pm »

There are a few places where to change refresh rates and it's a little confusing. Some I understand and some are just plain unclear to me.

1. Theater View > Advanced > Framerate:
What does this do? Does it change the video playback frame rate?

2. Tree & View > Full Screen (Display View, Theater View, etc.) > Resolution:
Why is there an option for this? What's this setting for? Does it also change the video playback frame rate? To me it seems like #1 and #2 do the exact same thing. Is someone able to explain?

3. Video > Display Settings > Enable Automatic Display Settings changing:
Self explanatory but not all movies revert to 24p. E.G. With Skyfall unless the monitor is forced by the driver to 24hz stays at 60p. On the other hand Skyfall also plays at 24p if Theater View framerate is set to 24 as referenced in point #1. Other movies play properly at 24fps with the desktop set at 60hz.

My intention with all of this is to leave my desktop at 60hz and have MC play film at 24fps with the display resolution matched accordingly.

Many thanks all!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Refresh Rate Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »

1. Theater View > Advanced > Framerate:
What does this do? Does it change the video playback frame rate?
As I understand it, this should affect the framerate for how the Theater View is rendered. (how smoothly it animates) However setting it to 5fps (minimum) here makes no change whatsoever, so it doesn't seem to do anything?

2. Tree & View > Full Screen (Display View, Theater View, etc.) > Resolution:
Why is there an option for this? What's this setting for? Does it also change the video playback frame rate? To me it seems like #1 and #2 do the exact same thing. Is someone able to explain?
This changes the refresh rate when you enter "cover view". (CTRL+5) This option mainly seems to exist if you are using MC in a multi-monitor setup, and want the cover view to display on a different screen.

3. Video > Display Settings > Enable Automatic Display Settings changing:
This changes the refresh rate based on the video being played.

Self explanatory but not all movies revert to 24p. E.G. With Skyfall unless the monitor is forced by the driver to 24hz stays at 60p. On the other hand Skyfall also plays at 24p if Theater View framerate is set to 24 as referenced in point #1. Other movies play properly at 24fps with the desktop set at 60hz.
What is your source for this, and what is the framerate of the file?

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »

As I understand it, this should affect the framerate for how the Theater View is rendered. (how smoothly it animates) However setting it to 5fps (minimum) here makes no change whatsoever, so it doesn't seem to do anything?
In my testing I can't figure out what this does.
This changes the refresh rate when you enter "cover view". (CTRL+5) This option mainly seems to exist if you are using MC in a multi-monitor setup, and want the cover view to display on a different screen.
OK, I'll leave this a default.
This changes the refresh rate based on the video being played.
This is where my problem lies. Some files automatically trigger the refresh rate change, and others don't. It seems completely random, even with the same source (not limited to a single source as orignally thought).
What is your source for this, and what is the framerate of the file?
The files are all film 23.976fps. Some are mkv and some are iso's. I tried playing through both ROHQ and RO standard. It makes no difference. If I didn't play PC Games I would change the refresh rate through the desktop, but I need 60hz to game as well as have a smooth user interface.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:10:47 pm »

What are your display settings at?

Have you changed the madVR display switcher settings?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »

Is it only the ISOs that don't change rate automatically? Do you have an entry in the [fps] field for these?

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:27:14 pm »

I haven't entered anything in the mad vr switcher settings. But the problem is present in standard mode that doesn't use madvr.

It is not just iso's. It is mkv's and disc rips as well. I actually don't know if all the files were tagged accordingly in the fps field, but the Skyfall rip is and it gets stuck at 60, so there is atleast one file - I wasn't aware of that until just now. I'll have to do more testing as I've gone and tagged all my ISOs at 23.976 (the only files where the field was empty).
Pages: [1]   Go Up