INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Doctorizing' smartlists ?  (Read 5197 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
'Doctorizing' smartlists ?
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:07:23 pm »

I could have sworn I saw a thread where someone (Glynor?) posted some smartlist code that used Play  Doctor. I've searched but can't find it.

Is this really a thing? Can I create a smartlist and tell it to use Play Doctor? If it's not a thing, can we make it a thing? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 'Doctorizing' smartlists ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

You can save a Play Doctor Playchart and then reference it from a smartlist by adding a playlist rule.  It's going to be slow if you nest too much since Playcharts take a while to build, but it should work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »

What I want (I think) is the ability to quickly create a Play Doctor Playchart. Here's what I do now:

- Create a smartlist
- Copy the smartlist rules
- Open the Play Doctor rules
- Paste the smartlist rules
- Start a blank Play Doctor (just press enter at the PD prompt)
- Save the Playchart to Car Radio button

If I want to tweak the rules for that button (I do this a lot), I have to edit the original smartlist and then do the last 5 steps over again.

Is there a shortcut to this process? I tried right-clicking on a smartlist and using Send To to play with Play Doctor, but it doesn't obey the smartlist rules.

A smartlist modifier, similar to Shuffle, that enabled Play Doctor would be a great addition.  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »

It makes me laugh that I just posted this tonight:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79849.msg543030#msg543030
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:57:48 am »

I really like the combination of smartlists and Play Doctor functionality.

Smartlists let me set the framework of my listening session. I use custom tags to define the pool of music and the Mix modifier to ensure I get a nice cross-section within that pool.

Play Doctor allows me to fine-tune an individual session by skipping tracks.; if I'm not in the mood for say, Power Pop, a few skips and the Doctor gets the message.

I just wish it was easier to put these two tools together!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:50:50 am »

I really like the combination of smartlists and Play Doctor functionality.

Completely agree.

One time... Many, many moons ago, Matt mentioned that they'd like to build a better UI kit for the ~mix modifier (allowing these to be created in the normal Files to Show editor).  I suspect that Play Doctor itself is actually the "solution" to that problem, but I also really like using those two features together.

One idea I've had kicking about for a long time in the back of my head is to build a simple ~mix "builder" UI that would help build those kinds of percentage-based smartlists.  Through the MC Automation interface, you should be able to pull tag lists and actually show contents (to allow the user to pick "Psychedelic Rock" from their own set of Genres in a combobox, for example), and auto-balance the percentages to 100%.

It wouldn't be that big of a job, but I was never sure if JRiver was ever going to actually get around to building it in themselves (which would make the work useless).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:01:13 am »

One idea I've had kicking about for a long time in the back of my head is to build a simple ~mix "builder" UI that would help build those kinds of percentage-based smartlists.  Through the MC Automation interface, you should be able to pull tag lists and actually show contents (to allow the user to pick "Psychedelic Rock" from their own set of Genres in a combobox, for example), and auto-balance the percentages to 100%.

That would be incredibly useful. I typically have 10+ mix elements in my smartlists, and working in the import/export window makes my eyes cross.

I've given up on 100% balancing my percentages, but I've never seen the need to do so as the percentages auto-scale to 100% equivalency. 

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:04 am »

Glynor, thanks for (re)posting your smartlists on these threads. Those are some Jedi mind trick smartlists!! I would need much better subgenres/styles to pull that off, which is a bucket list project. BTW, do you still have a copy of your library available for users to check out?

I totally agree with the two ideas above:

-A "-mix" UI for Smartlists

-More ways for Smartlists and Play Doctor to work together. It's easy to limit any Play Doctor list to a given smartlist, but it would be cool to use a smartlist or playlist as the seed material for PD mixes. Maybe size is a concern here, does it make sense or is it at all practical to seed a PD list from an 1000+ track smartlist?

Plus:

-More rows of Car Radio!! The users who don't like it get to turn the feature off, but how about 2 or 3 rows available to all the Car Radio hackers out there?

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »

Completely agree.

One time... Many, many moons ago, Matt mentioned that they'd like to build a better UI kit for the ~mix modifier (allowing these to be created in the normal Files to Show editor).  I suspect that Play Doctor itself is actually the "solution" to that problem, but I also really like using those two features together.

Yes, I am enthusiastically replying to a VERY OLD thread.

I still feel like I could be getting better use out of the Mix feature. I'd love some kind of expanded UI tool, especially for the percentage thing and the limit. I mean, ~mix=2200, okay, but what does that 2200 really mean? What other units can I limit the playlist by? Etc.

So, yes, this feature would still be loved and used.

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up