INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play from memory ... with NAS?  (Read 1192 times)

rayooo

• World Citizen
Play from memory ... with NAS?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »

I've been troubleshooting a random freezes now for about a month and getting nowhere fast.

I noticed I still had "play from memory" selected in audio settings, I thought I recall awhile back a mention that if playing from NAS, then the setting "Play from Memory" is meaningless and does not actually do anything..due to the network stream being buffered in RAM anyway.

MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play from memory ... with NAS?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:37:22 am »

What NAS?

I found I had SMART errors and replaced drives, that helped my issues, but def. switch off the Mem Playback first.

There is a NAS Tester win tool as well to check your R/W speeds to NAS.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:39:41 am »

Correct
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68359.msg460069#msg460069

That's it! thanks very much for digging this up.  I'd thought I'd turned mem playback off ages ago, but somewhere along the line I must have turned it back on.
....I don't think it's causing my problem as it's always worked fine with the setting on, or off, but was just having another look around for things to try and noticed that it was enabled.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:52 am »

What NAS?

I found I had SMART errors and replaced drives, that helped my issues, but def. switch off the Mem Playback first.

There is a NAS Tester win tool as well to check your R/W speeds to NAS.

An 1812+...
No errors or anything in the NAS log, rough speed checks always around 100MB/Sec.
I can do very large copies off it no problem.  I don't think the problem is the NAS, 'must surely be some very intermittent hardware issue.
The system will play music for 12+ hours no problem, then just stop, screen-freeze. (theater view) can't exit or anything. no errors.
It appears Windows has stalled, but since it's a player "appliance", no mouse/KB or such. it's hard to tell.
'had a mouse KB hooked up last evening, and of course it played all night no problem, still playing this morning.

I don't believe it's anything at all to do with MC.
I ordered some new RAM for the MB (Asus P8Z77-M) to try next.  This particular player ran fine for at least 6 months, then since roughly a month ago I've gotten a few of these "freezes".   ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up