INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static with JRiver 18 and Audioquest Dragonfly  (Read 3554 times)

jlykos

Static with JRiver 18 and Audioquest Dragonfly
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:43 am »

I'm having a lot of problems involving static at the end of tracks with my Audioquest Dragonfly DAC and JRiver 18, and I thought that some of you could possibly help. I have searched the archives and tried many of the things listed in the responses to people with similar problems, but nothing has helped yet.

The main issue is that I hear a static pop or click around 10 seconds from the end of every track that I play in 24 bit audio. 16 bit audio and mp3 files are fine. The click will happen once or twice for 24/48 or 24/88.2 files, and I will hear multiple static clicks on 24/96 files. I have tried JRiver settings for ASIO, WASAPI, WASAPI - Event Style, and Kernel Streaming with all sorts of buffer configurations, both on the hardware and software side. So far, the "best" results have been with ASIO, followed by WASAPI. These configurations still have the static clicks, but to a lesser extent than the other modes. Kernel Streaming does not work at all, and WASAPI - Event Style has more clicks than the other two methods.

I am running a Lenovo ThinkPad T400 on Windows 7 and using JRiver 18 as my media player. I have the Dragonfly directly plugged into a USB output on my computer into the 1/8" input on my Audioengine A2 speakers. The volume is at 100% on both the computer's internal volume and on J River because I plan to use the computer audio as a dedicated source component. I am playing the audio files from an external Western Digital USB hard drive that is running at 7200 RPM. I have verified that JRiver has a direct connection on the output. I have also disabled extraneous drivers like the ones for Firewire, the modem, and WiFi.

I have already exchanged one Dragonfly for another directly through Audioquest (they originally diagnosed the problem as a defective Dragonfly). When I wrote them to let them know that the problems were continuing, they advised me to update the drivers and make sure that Windows 7 is up to date. I have done all of this and am still facing the same problems. All of the Windows sound settings are correct (100% volume, allow external devices to have exclusive access, disabled all other sound processing, made the Dragonfly my default device), and I am running out of options to use on JRiver. Can anybody help with this issue?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Static with JRiver 18 and Audioquest Dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:39 am »

Welcome.

I would expect WASAPI - Event Style to work best.  Changing the buffering in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... might make a difference.

The 16 vs 24 bit thing shouldn't matter (the DAC always gets the same bitdepth), but the sample rate will matter since it changes the amount of data that must move across the bus.

Have you tried other USB ports on the computer?  A laptop probably only has one controller, but it's worth a try.  It might also be interesting to add a USB hub in the chain just to see if it changes the behavior.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

It just might be worth trying adjusting your system settings in Windows 7 to favour background services.

Explorer > Computer > Right Click Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab
> Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Adjust for best performance of Background Services

sogrady1812

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:16:09 pm »

I have the same issues with static clicks and pops with hi res files.  I am using MC 18.0.209, Windows 8.1 with a DragonFly. WASAPI  , 100 MIL Buffering, Bitdepth Automatic, Remove, event style, etc.

Very frustrating as the lower res MP3 files sound great without and of the noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up