INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarity control?  (Read 1615 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Polarity control?
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:53:06 pm »

Does MC have the ability to reverse the polarity of the output signal?

And does this apply regardless of which output is being used?

Specifically for me USB and Ethernet are my 2 output paths.

So if I reverse the polarity, it won't matter which digital pathway is being used, the digital stream will be effected?

Oh and where might this function be found?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Polarity control?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »

For a regular DAC, look in DSP Studio > Room Correction > Polarity (or you can add a polarity filter in DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer).

It's not currently possible to use advanced DSP like this with a DLNA DAC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:13 am »

Excellent!!!!

Thanks for that.

I had this nagging thought that I noticed a polarity reverse 'switch' SOMEWHERE in side MC…

I just couldn't remember where.  And I looked inside DSP Studio at a bunch of choices.  Probably all BUT room correction D'oh!

JJ  :thumb
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:48:51 am »

I see what you mean about the DSP and my DLNA DAC not being connected at the wrist and the ankles.

Fortunately I have external polarity control built into the PWDII, but in network mode I can't tell what the polarity is set to, like I can in USB (or most other modes).

I just have to remember to switch things around when I change from running USB to the Ethernet input to the DAC.

JJ

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

I see what you mean about the DSP and my DLNA DAC not being connected at the wrist and the ankles.

Fortunately I have external polarity control built into the PWDII, but in network mode I can't tell what the polarity is set to, like I can in USB (or most other modes).

I just have to remember to switch things around when I change from running USB to the Ethernet input to the DAC.

JJ

I too have the PWDII - what polarity are you running on the front when you have DNLA set?

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »

When running in Ethernet mode the polarity is not shown on the front panel of the PWDII (which is dumb IMO).  But the phase button on the remote control still works, so you can pop back and forth to listen for the differences.

JJ

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »

When running in Ethernet mode the polarity is not shown on the front panel of the PWDII (which is dumb IMO).  But the phase button on the remote control still works, so you can pop back and forth to listen for the differences.

JJ

What polarity to you sounds better?

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »

Assuming that the rest of the audio chain is properly polarized (no device is reversed) then positive or 'In Phase' sounds best.  But if one (or an odd number of devices are reversed polarized) then 'Out of Phase' would be best.

The way to easily tell is, to listen for the lowest octaves on music that actually has music in the 20-60Hz region.  Listen for the sharpest or most percussive initial impact of the instrument.  On suitably well recorded music even cymbals and guitar and piano will have an added leading edge 'sharpness' to them.  Conversely if  the music is 'reverse polarized' there will be a 'softening' of the leading edge and a lack of 'thump' in the extreme bottom end.

The best way to think of this is to visualize hitting a drum and either creating a positive pressure wave front or (if reversed) a negative pressure wave front.  The ear/brain is able to discern the difference based upon the leading edge pressure polarization.

Symphonies that wail on the big kettle drums, are some of the easiest to tell the difference.  But once you train yourself to hear the differences, you can even hear differences listening to piccolos. And there are more subtle differences as well but they take more effort to figure out which is 'best'.

Of course all of this is predicated on a suitably resolving system and music source.

JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up