INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J River Programme Record Reliability  (Read 1777 times)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
J River Programme Record Reliability
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:36:48 am »

I am trying to transition from WMC to J River but find that recording reliability is incredibly poor in spite of setting up a very good third party XMLTV Guide resource.

By way of example, I set up Britains Got Talent on ITVHD in the UK just over a week ago.  The first recording was perfect, this week though J River recorded 3 files all starting at the same time. The first file was 2 seconds long, the second 2 minutes and the third 7 minutes!  The recording should have lasted around 90 minutes.

Normally I might suspect my hardware but this is not the case as WMC records 100% reliably and has been dong so for over a year.

My wife now refuses to use J River for recording in favour of WMC and I tend to now be of the same frame of mind.  Is anyone else experiencing reliability issues recoding HDTV programmes?
The Future is Remote!

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Re: J River Programme Record Reliability
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »

This has happened to me on two occasions. Once when we started watching a program being recorded and by flicking through the adds we caught up with the live version.Instead of just transitioning to a live broadcast it stopped each time at the same point.There was only one file recorded.However the next day a second file appeared with the rest of the show.

Another time MC crashed and restarting caused two separate record files, which would be expected behaiour I'm guessing.

On the whole it has been very reliable for me.

I wonder whether you are having some problem with the signal being lost from time to time explaining multiple files with part recordings, but as you say this should also be the case with WMC.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:15:32 am »

I wonder whether you are having some problem with the signal being lost from time to time explaining multiple files with part recordings, but as you say this should also be the case with WMC.

I agree, it would seem that J River is not in love with my tuner card :'(

Strange thing is that the driver interface is probably the same for both programmes and the tuner card http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html is one of the most popular tuner cards ?

Oh well I guess I'm back to recording with WMC and playing back with J River to take advantage of the audio and video improvement.
The Future is Remote!

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:04:05 am »

it would seem that J River is not in love with my tuner card :'(   .......the tuner card http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html is one of the most popular tuner cards ?

nope, doesn't seem to be on the approved list but theoretically all BDA cards should work? Hopefully JRiver staff will have some troubleshooting advice. Its a bummer to have to go to and from different media centers and a real blow to the Wife/family acceptance factor. Good luck :(

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:11:23 am »

Strange thing is that the driver interface is probably the same for both programmes and the tuner card http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html is one of the most popular tuner cards ?

Oh well I guess I'm back to recording with WMC and playing back with J River to take advantage of the audio and video improvement.
I'm not sure if it's a factor for you, but running two TV applications concurrently can lead to problems. I found in the past that running WMC, Mediaportal or DVB Viewer could 'steal' the tuners. I now only run jriver for TV (DVB-S, Blackgold card) and haven't missed a recording in ages. Note that some of these TV apps run a 'server' app in the background, so even if they aren't 'running' as a window they can still play havoc with the tuners. 

SBR

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:40:26 am »

I'm not sure if it's a factor for you, but running two TV applications concurrently can lead to problems. I found in the past that running WMC, Mediaportal or DVB Viewer could 'steal' the tuners. I now only run jriver for TV (DVB-S, Blackgold card) and haven't missed a recording in ages. Note that some of these TV apps run a 'server' app in the background, so even if they aren't 'running' as a window they can still play havoc with the tuners. 

SBR

I'm not actually running WMC simultaneously but as I recall WMC does have at least one deamon service running in the background.  I guess I would need to stop the services in control panel or remove WMC completely to disable WMC services but I would not have thought it necessary.

Do you still have WMC installed?

Needless to say I would be very reluctant to remove WMC at this time.
The Future is Remote!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:42 am »

You're correct that it should work.  MC doesn't talk to your hardware directly.  It uses the driver.

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC.  It's 18.0.171.
Pages: [1]   Go Up