INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC to backup large amounts of data  (Read 1434 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Using MC to backup large amounts of data
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »

Since MC has been my go to app for my media for a decade, I have been exploring ways to backup my files with it using Handheld Sync or Library Sync.

I had some sync apps fail on me, TeraCopy and Alwaysync, when managing large amounts of files, so I figure since MC can manage my massive library, I'd explore what it can do.

First question - can I mirror my existing file structure on my NAS to another NAS/backup location?

So far I have not been able to accomplish this given the options found in Library Sync - I'll have to look, but there were some limitations.

HiFiTubes

Re: Using MC to backup large amounts of data
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »

It looks like Handheld Sync might work better than Library Sync, or maybe I just never tried [Filename (Path)].

I'm getting some empty folder though...strange.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »

If u haven't tried Synctoy2.1 free from MS

I use it for this. it is free. but I have noticed lately and from browsing the forums for it that on win7 it will no longer delete folders just the contents. I use the Echo (Synchronize, Contribute, are also available) feature to do my backups. be sure and read all instructions very carefully. before running it.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Looks like Handheld Sync has some bugs which show some files as identical when fields are empty, but filename (path) is clearly different.

Could that field be used as a fallback I wonder, when Artist/Album/Genre etc. are empty?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:23 am »

A few of us have and issues with SyncToy and here is a thread on alternatives. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76332.0
JRiver CEO Elect

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:53 am »

I have never had the issues u report with using synctoy2.1 other than it not deleting folders...but am always looking for alternatives...thanks

UPDATE: I have installed and used FreeFileSync and I do find it to be superior to Synctoy2.1 and I have uninstalled Synctoy2.1 and deleted it from my data base of used or using wares....Thanks for the heads up on FreeFileSync
Pages: [1]   Go Up