INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vizio TV and DLNA  (Read 12912 times)

rh5000

• Recent member
Vizio TV and DLNA
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »

I have e701.  Wired connection. 

my pc  Ron-PC shows up on the TV in media apps as Ron-PC (Generic DLNA)  which it then shortens to Generic D
When I click on it in the list and go to "music" it starts looking for a list like (Ron-PC) Generic D\root\audio   
I can't figure out where that is or what it is trying to find...or how to direct it to someplace that exists.
So...
I went into MC  (18)  and created a new server "Voltron" (The TV comes on with a big 'v' symbol)

The tv can now see this...shows up as DLNA3  Ron-PC (Voltron)
Still, when I click on the "music" item, on the right side of the screen it shows Ron-PC (Voltron)Audio\root
And a list of numbered folders below that:
1 Audio
2 Video
3 Photos
4 Playlists

I click on "Audio"
and now the top of the right side reads: Ron-PC (Voltron)Audio\root\audio
and a list of
1. [folder icon with the "up one" symbol"]
2. Artist
3. Album
because I customized the view to shorten the list to just those two items.  So, I know I'm at least looking in the right place.  The DLNA server I set up and the folder list I customized appears.

But, when I click on "Artist" in the list the top reads  Ron-PC (Voltron)Audio\root\audio\Artists
and the little dealy on the left spins around like it's searching for a minute or two
and then it reverts back to the list now with only the
1. [folder icon with the "up one" symbol"]

And that's it...I'm done...can't get to any files.

I feel like I'm really close but just can't quite get there.

Also note that the TV does not show up in the Now Playing list.

Should it?  and/or is there a way to "find" it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

rh5000

• Recent member
Re: Vizio TV and DLNA
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:21 pm »

Oh...and I should note that I looked up some other Vizio threads but they seemed to be having trouble with specific files...I can't get to any files.

Thanks!

Ron

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »

Its worth reading this thread, as I have a smaller model than you.  Vizio has numerous DLNA issues.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75975.msg523314#msg523314
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rh5000

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:42 pm »

Thanks...Yeah, I had read through some of that thread but not all because the members there seemed to be having trouble with certain types of files...not "all" files not showing up.  But I'm glad you directed me back to it because when I saw the thing about it returning an empty folder view if there are more than 89 items, I had to just laugh sadly. 

I was only going to use it, at this point, for streaming music into that room very infrequently.  Not really, what my GF bought the TV for.  ;D  But, I was excited when I saw my pc show up in the list...now I'm underwhelmed.   I really plan on getting a new ht receiver and hopefully that will be the correct solution anyway.  For music and for video.  I have not started collecting movies on server yet...I'm still old school  8) but I've been paying more and more attention to it.

Thanks again.
Ron

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

I got things to work satisfactorily enough by creating views for the DLNA server to ensure not too many items were returned.  It was good enough, and stopped wasting time with the cheap box.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up