INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mass conversion of flac to mp3  (Read 1986 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
mass conversion of flac to mp3
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:59:47 pm »

Now that I've ripped  600+ CDs, with some 8000 tracks (mostly as flac files), I want to copy the entire library as mp3 files, using a similar directory structure to hold the files.
current:  L:\classical \   symphonies, opera, chamber, concerto, choral etc etc
  under each of the subdirectories is a folder for the work  (L:\classical\symphony\Beethoven\5th symphony
If it's a two CD work, then it would be ...\Beethoven\5th symphony\CD1 etc

I would put the mp3s on drive U

If this can be done - I imagine the programming language is way, way over my head. Would some kindly citizen of the universe please advise if what I want can be done - and give me the precise language to do it.  I'm using MC 18, windows 7, 64 bit.

thanks
rhkrhk

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: mass conversion of flac to mp3
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »

You'll need to do this in two steps, first the conversion, next renaming the converted files to place them in the desired location.  Start your conversion first, since it takes a long time, and then I or someone else will help you with the rename rules.

Convert using the Convert tool, or a virtual handheld.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RSleith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:16:27 am »

I know, I know, this is a MC forum...

Still...

I just did this recently using dBpoweramp and it was absolutely painless. I went from folder to folder, but for you it would be even more of a breeze going from drive to drive.

In the batch conversion dialog you will be prompted for the new location (enter the drive), then for "dynamic folder" or some such option you would simply enter
\[origpath]\[origfilename] <I think this is correct but there is documentation and discussion on the dBpoweramp site/fora>

It ain't free but highly recommended.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:50:33 am »

There will always be some feature X which some app B performs better than some app A.  The problem is perspective.  You happen to want feature X which seems trivial and small to implement.  But the sum of time it will take to implement all possible feature X's is very large.

I wonder, did you post a comment on dBpoweramp's forums indicating that feature Y is a breeze in MC?  :-)

btw. many of us have requested a more direct route to conversion like this:

3. Convert Format:  Support more flexible Base path, Folder rule, Filename rule
The Convert Format tool uses Convert to this directory (which is tantamount to a Base path), and uses a rigid "And create # levels of directory structure".   It would be very useful (and probably clearer, more consistent) to replace that mechanism with the standard Base path, Folder and Filename rules.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »

You could specify in the Convert Options to convert to this directory (specify) and create 2 levels (Artist/Album).

If the base path is different than your current base, you can create a new Library view specifically for these new files, exclude them from your current views and work with them from the new view.

I find this approach easier than converting them to the same folder because then you can't easily separate them in a view and MC's default views sort on tracks so the Flac's and Mp3's alternate on each album. It's doable but I think its a little harder than what I suggested above.

RSleith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »

I wonder, did you post a comment on dBpoweramp's forums indicating that feature Y is a breeze in MC?  :-)
No, I'll save that for the iTunes boards  ;D

Funny story though...I was on the phone with my brother one evening...he was asking me how well I knew Excel. He described what he was trying to do to catalog his audio, video, etc. collection. I told him MC would do everything he wanted to do and more! I *urged* him to give it a test drive. I guess I got quite animated talking up its features because when I hung up my girlfriend said "Wow, I don't think I've heard you talk that passionately about *anything* before".  :)

Sadly, he did not take my advice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up