INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Show tags with values" doesn't show all tags with values.  (Read 1752 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
"Show tags with values" doesn't show all tags with values.
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:38:13 am »

Current uptodate version of Media Center .. Right Click a track > Tags > Select "Show tags with values".

I only get somee of the tags with values - when I select "Show all tags" there are many tags with values which aren't shown in the "Show tags with values" view. This happens for every track I have tried.

For example, for the track I'm looking at right now

"Show tags with values" gives me, Album, Album Artist, Artist, Composer, ComposerSort, Date, Disc#, Genre, Name and Track #.

but

"Show all tags" reveals the following tags with values ...

Album, Album Artist, Album Artist (Auto), Album Type, Artist, Artist - Album, Bit Depth, Bitrate, Channels, Complete Album, Composer, Composer Sort, ComposerSurname (an expresion field of mine), Date, Date (filename friendly), Date Created, Date Imported, Dated Modified, Day, Disc # ... and quite a few more.

Any insights into why this should be?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Show tags with values" doesn't show all tags with values.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:43 am »

I've noticed this too. What I think is going on is that it doesn't include calculated values (e.g. number of channels, bitrate etc.) and only includes actual tags inside the file. So it would show [Composer] but not [ComposerSurname] because it's a calculated value that you're not actually writing inside the file tags.

What I do is use Show Tags With Values, and then add the extra ones I want to see via the Also Show > menu.

What I would really like to see, would be some way to have separate tag view presets based on the type of file you are viewing (I want completely different tags shown for audio files and videos) and to be able to rearrange the order that tags are displayed in, rather than being sorted alphabetically. That would speed up filling in tags for my music considerably if I could just keep typing and hit tab once to move to the next field, rather than work my way through a list of the 20-30 being displayed.

For example, I would place [Catalog #], [Label Code], and [UPC] together. [Copyright] and [Publisher] information belong together. There are tags which only apply to classical music and no other styles of music, so they should be separated etc.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:32:47 am »

Sounds plausible .. but if you're right I think it would be clearer if it said "Show tags in file" or something, rather than "Show tags with values". Or have a separate option for both. "Tags with values" to me means any tag with a value, whether it is stored in the file or not.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:55:47 am »

What I would really like to see, would be some way to have separate tag view presets based on the type of file you are viewing (I want completely different tags shown for audio files and videos) and to be able to rearrange the order that tags are displayed in, rather than being sorted alphabetically. That would speed up filling in tags for my music considerably if I could just keep typing and hit tab once to move to the next field, rather than work my way through a list of the 20-30 being displayed.

For example, I would place [Catalog #], [Label Code], and [UPC] together. [Copyright] and [Publisher] information belong together. There are tags which only apply to classical music and no other styles of music, so they should be separated etc.
I guess the best way to achieve this right now is to set up some special Library Views for tagging (one for movies, one for rock/pop, one for classical music...) and then use "Show Tags In Current View". However, I would perfer a tag window sorting in the same order that is used for the Library View (~Panes) in this case - instead of an alphabetically sorting (this way there would also be no need for extra menues to manually rearrange the tag categories, as this is done by setting up the view).

Beside that, "Show Tags In Current View" sometimes shows tags that are not in the current view (and not filled in the visible files). For example, the "Artist" tag seems to be always visible with "Show Tags In Current View", even for movie files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »

and to be able to rearrange the order that tags are displayed in, rather than being sorted alphabetically. That would speed up filling in tags for my music considerably if I could just keep typing and hit tab once to move to the next field, rather than work my way through a list of the 20-30 being displayed.

You can do this if you use the Show Tags in Current View choice.

This shows all of the tags in the current view (Details View), in order.  There are a couple of "gotchas" to this (mainly, items that show in the Tag Action Window header don't also show up in the listing of tags below), but it works quite well.  Even if the view you are using isn't typically in Details View (so has no columns), you can temporarily switch it to Details View, set the columns you want (which allows loading/saving presets), and then switch your view back to Thumbs or whatever you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »

For example, the "Artist" tag seems to be always visible with "Show Tags In Current View", even for movie files.

Not here.

You probably have it selected under Also Show > Artist.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »

Looks like I need to set up some more maintenance views, thanks Glynor/<°)))))><

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 04:07:10 am »

Not here. You probably have it selected under Also Show > Artist.
Nope, "Artist" is not selected under "Also Show".
But I have to admit that this is an old library that exist since the last 6 or 7 major versions of MC,
and I'm still on MC17. So this may not be true for MC18.

EDIT: I checked it with another library with "fresh" data and it works as expected.
         Mmh. I guess after all the years I will finally start with a new library when updating to MC18...
Pages: [1]   Go Up