INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are my Playlists?  (Read 1450 times)

dogleg867

• Recent member
Where are my Playlists?
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:19 pm »

I'm in the process of moving all my audio files to another computer. I also want to upgrade to version 18 as part of this process.

I have (or had) all my albums stored as Playlists which was my preferred method of navigating and choosing music. It took me a very long time to get all these lists compiled and organized and now I can't find them anywhere.

I removed the SSD that had the Trial Version of MC 17 and my computer failed to recognize the program after that. Since then, I was able to find a file that allowed me to install MC to a flash drive, but for whatever reason it would say that it couldn't create a directory on my C drive or external drive (on the computer that will no longer be used for music).

I wouldn't think that the Playlists were stored in the Trial Version, of course, I didn't think this program was of any use to me and it obviously was. Can anyone tell me where to look for the Playlists? Please, tell me they're not lost and gone forever.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where are my Playlists? Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:13:08 am »

I'm not sure what you did exactly.

The SSD you removed, did that contain the Windows operating system as well? Did you have to reinstall windows?

dogleg867

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »

No, the SSD did not have an OS on it. I'm going from using my HPE desktop running Windows 7 to a purpose built music server (CAPS) running Windows 8. I couldn't get version 17 to load with any success, so I downloaded version 18. I was able to load the music from this SSD into my Library, but I still have no idea where to find the Playlists. This brings up 2 more questions: By downloading a fresh copy of MC 18, did I give up any possibility of purchasing it as an upgrade rather than a new copy? Also, what does "Analyzing Audio" do specifically?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:20 am »

I'm sure the upgrade is still possible, but I'll leave the details to someone from JRiver.

Oke, so I understand you have 2 pc's, you installed a fresh copy of MC and moved a disk from one pc to the other that contains your music. Your playlists are stored in the database that JRiver uses to store all the information about your music, it doesn't move with the music itself.

I think the easiest at this point is to export your libraries on the old machine and import them on the new. You can do this by selecting a playlist and choosing Export from the file menu. Choose MPL as the Format and All for output range. Once you've exported them you can carry them over to the new pc and import them with File/Import playlist.

If you really have too many playlists to do this manually, you can also choose to carry over a library backup and restore that. But that will bring other issues like paths to music files being different that then needs fixing, but that might be less work than exporting a lot of playlists, its up to you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Where are my Playlists?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:09:47 am »

An upgrade price should be shown when you purchase MC18 if you had a licensed copy of MC17 installed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up