INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to MAC  (Read 3154 times)

Magellan

• Recent member
New to MAC
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:21:26 am »

Hi!
I have been using JRiver for several years on the Windows platform. Recently I bought a Mac mini and now I have downloaded the latest MAC version for MAC. I think the JRiver graphical interface, library functions and iPad/iPhone remote apps are far better than anything else on the MAC platform. However, on many forums about MAC and music/audiophile topics, there is a lot of talk about the integer mode, and how this improves sound. As I understand it, JRiver do not utilize or implement integer mode. In very general terms I think I understand what "integer" means, ie the opposite to floating point (am I correct?). What I do not understand is in what way this is relevant in the audio/software context. Or in other words, what does integer mode do and what would the benefit be for the audiophile?

I am also wondering if the Windows license is also valid for the MAC version, or do I have to buy a completely new license? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New to MAC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:45 am »

The Windows and Mac licenses are separate.  The price on the Mac version will go up $5 on May 1 and again on June 1 and July1.

I can't comment on integer mode.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New to MAC
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:36 am »

The Mac version of Media Center uses Core Audio in exclusive mode for audio output.

This is a bit-perfect output method.

This article does some detailed tests to prove the bit-perfect nature:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/513-jriver-mac-vs-jriver-windows-sound-quality-comparison/
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up