INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI audio de-embedder  (Read 3286 times)

strettonufo

• Recent member
HDMI audio de-embedder
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:29:10 pm »

is anyone using an audio de-embedder to convert the digital audio in HDMI to sp/dif and then to a dac? My laptop does not have digital audio out, just hdmi.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: HDMI audio de-embedder
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »

I would suggest trying a USB to SPDIF converter. There is quite a range of prices on them. Here is a list of several:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_SPDIF.htm

Here is a $29 USB to SPDIF adaptor from Turtle Beach:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118007

strettonufo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »

Thanks. I have been wrestling with this for more than a year, when I decided I was going to put my cd collection on to a computer. Most laptops do not have sp/dif out but do have hdmi. I couldn’t understand why dac’s do not support hdmi input. I contacted simaudio (I have a moon 100d) and they gave me the same advice as you. But I thought then as now, why purchase a usb to sp/dif converter when the laptops hd graphics 4000 controller has already done the job? Two months ago I bought a Toshiba all solid state Ultrabook and MC, based on recent TAS articles on computer audio. I came close to buying a Stello usb converter which would cost $500 but then based on the TAS issue 233 review of the Bryston bda-2 (page 86) I bought a KanexPro de-embedder for $65.00. The TAS reviewer had great experience (although almost embarrassed to admit it) with a de-embedder and I too use an Oppo DVD player front end so I figured I had nothing to lose. I plan to use it with both the Oppo (converting sacd to pcm is intriguing) and the ultrabook. An audio de-embedder comes from the world of pro a/v and the world of hi-fi is often ignorant of (or prejudiced against) the stellar products out there.     

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »

there's a german firm making fine deembedders : www.spatz-tech.com

And yes deembedder are pro a/v gear but of limited use in a hi-res hifi environment (isn't spdif bandwith maxed out with 2-channel of 192/24 or 5.1 96/24 ... which would mean "downsampling" sacd ? ...but I'm not an expert re spdif and stand to be corrected)
Pages: [1]   Go Up