INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo and surround sound  (Read 1479 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Stereo and surround sound
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:58:59 am »

Hi

I am replacing my analogue stereo amp with a surround sound reciever that has hdmi inputs.  I am a bit confused how to set this up at the pc hardware end and what I may need to configure in MC. I have an asus xonar st, which I believe would be redundant in the presence of my Radeon hd6870's audio capability and hdmi output.

What is each component really doing? Sound card, graphics card, MC, reciever?

Where does the audio decoding happen? In the reciever or in MC? What's best if there is a choice?

What is the optimal set up?

How do I ensure my stereo music and TV is only played in 2.1 stereo? And can I modify this to say, 3.1 using the centre channel as well?

I think these are the right questions!
Cheers

rec head

Re: Stereo and surround sound
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:03 am »

Depending on the AVR all of this can happen in the receiver. The AVR can do all the decoding and if you want to see the "True HD" or other decoding lights on your AVR then you will need to bitstream to it via the HDMI. You should also be able to set up the AVR to output the same format that is being input and do bass management for your sub. So if you send the AVR a 2.0 signal it should output 2.1 and if you send it 5.1 that is what it should output.

It shouldn't matter what is doing the decoding as long as everything is set up right. Personally I let the AVR do it just because it is the easiest for me and I can easily see what is being input input and output. I'm sure MC will show you the format it is outputting but I don't know the command.

If your new AVR has an auto setup such as Audessey you should check the AVS Forums and read up on how to use it because it will probably be better than what is in the manual.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:28 am »

Hi

I am replacing my analogue stereo amp with a surround sound reciever that has hdmi inputs.  I am a bit confused how to set this up at the pc hardware end and what I may need to configure in MC. I have an asus xonar st, which I believe would be redundant in the presence of my Radeon hd6870's audio capability and hdmi output.

What is each component really doing? Sound card, graphics card, MC, reciever?

Where does the audio decoding happen? In the reciever or in MC? What's best if there is a choice?

What is the optimal set up?

How do I ensure my stereo music and TV is only played in 2.1 stereo? And can I modify this to say, 3.1 using the centre channel as well?

I think these are the right questions!
Cheers

Your Asus soundcard is redundant if your graphics card has an HDMI out and you plan to use the receiver as your digital to analog converter (DAC), which, unless you have the H6 daughter board for the ST, would be mandatory (the ST is a stereo card).  If you have the H6 daughterboard, you could use your Asus as your DAC and use the analog ins on your receiver (assuming it has any) rather than HDMI if you preferred the sound of the ST.  

Audio decoding can happen either place.  There are some advantages to doing it in the receiver (as noted above), but I prefer to do any decoding in JRiver because its audio algorithms are a known quantity, and it allows the use of all of JRiver's audio processing (DSP, videoclock, etc.). 

In terms of channel selection, if you're doing your decoding in JRiver, you can set your output format (in DSP studio) to source number of channels, it will always send the same number of channels as your source media (stereo material will play in stereo, 5.1 in 5.1).  If you want to upmix stereo sources to 2.1, you may need to set up different zones for different types of media (i.e. a "stereo" zone with output mixed to 2.1 and a "surround" zone with output left at source number of channels).  If you need more detail on how to set up zones (and zoneswitch), let me know.

I'm not aware of any method in JRiver to mix to 3.1 from a stereo source

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »

If you don't consider it intrusive, which brand/year of analog stereo amp, and new surround amp, and which speakers ?

Z0001

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »

Great help, thanks folks.

I have a pioneer A300R Precision, and Heybrook floorstanders (HB4).  I am thinking of getting a Yamaha RX-A3020 and a monitor audio apex package (4x A10, 1x A40 and the sub). Time has come to create some room in the lounge so the floorstanders will go to eBay!

I had read about an issue with bit streaming to the AVR such that audio and video can get out of sync (because MC cannot use VideoClock when bit streaming). Dose this really present a sync problem in reality?

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »

If I were you, I would have the Xonar ST hooked up to the 300R and stereo speakers for music, and then another digital output going to the HDMI receiver and surround setup.

I'm assuming that is a "Xonar Essence ST" by the way.  That has very good sounding Burr-Brown DAC chips.   Both the 300R and the Essence ST should sound better on stereo music, than whatever is likely to be in a Yamaha surround amp.

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:55 am »

Nice idea. If only we had the space! What we are trying to do is upgrade our movie audio experience but not impose on our living room real estate. It's one of those time in life things; two small kids, limited time to listen to music, but movie experience is lacking, particularly getting reliable vocal levels versus the ambient soundtrack. The 300R has been in constant use for 17 years. Must be great build quality!

kstuart

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »

Alternately, you should be able to get a reasonable amount of money for the 300R on ebay or equivalent venue. Currently one auction out there for 150 pounds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up