INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center for Mac version 18.0.174 Alpha -- Available Here  (Read 24201 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe

This is an alpha release of Media Center for Mac.  If you aren't comfortable with a few problems, please wait a few weeks.

Download:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/latest/MediaCenter180174.dmg

18.0.174 (4/25/2013)

1. Fixed: Crash in DSP studio dialog when selecting a sample rate.
2. Fixed: Encoding to ALAC could crash in some cases.
3. Fixed: On the Import wizard, clicking cancel when it recommended not using an empty auto-import folder list would leave the wizard in a strange state.
4. Changed: The program better detects read-only mounts and messages right away when tagging files on these drives (instead of piling up the files in the tagging queue and messaging when closing the program).

Code: [Select]
18.0.173 (4/25/2013)

1. Fixed: Crashes resulting from named locking not being implemented on Mac, especially when settings changes were made (including in background processing).
2. Changed: Updated Chinese language file (thanks kelijun).
3. Changed: Updated German language file (thanks Bytestar).
4. SDK: Added ZoneID, ZoneName, and LinkedZones to MCWS/v1/Playback/Info response.
5. NEW: A saved Play Doctor Playchart allows setting the number of output files to 100, 250, 500, or 1000 (previously it was locked at 100).
6. Fixed: When a CUE file pointed to a missing WAV file, it would lead to problems.
7. Fixed: If a DLNA device requested metadata for a file that's no longer in the library (or never was in the library), it could crash.
8. Fixed: CUE files that contained URLs in comments could lead to a crash.
9. Fixed: Horizontal scrolling in the Playing Now > Overview view was not working nicely.
10. Fixed: Long M4A files (over 10 hours) could show as 'Live' or with the wrong or empty duration in the library.

18.0.169 (4/15/2013)

1. NEW: When enabling Media Network, a wizard is shown that steps through starting the server, getting an Access Key, and selecting the best server for your renderer.
2. Changed: Consolidated the list of DLNA server presets and added a preset for Audiophile DACs.
3. Fixed: SSDP discovery (used by DLNA) was not working in some cases in builds 167 and 168.
4. Changed: DLNA options to be more descriptive of what's actually going on.

18.0.168 (4/12/2013)

1. Fixed: Dates in file lists were not taking daylight savings time into account.
2. Fixed: File modified date not getting set properly during tagging, causing auto-update to do more work than necessary.
3. Fixed: SSDP servers were not working properly in 18.0.167 so DLNA devices would not show up.

18.0.167 (4/11/2013)

1. Changed: Unused input and output streams on audio hardware are disabled, helping performance with multi-channel devices.
2. Fixed: Writing of ID3v2 tags that contained extended characters could write an incorrect tag value.

18.0.166 (4/10/2013)

1. Fixed: M4A / ALAC tagging reading and writing could be problematic if the 'Play files from memory' option was enabled.
2. Fixed: When bitstreaming DSD as DoP, the bitstream could fall out of DoP mode on pause or if there was a data shortfall.
3. Changed: Revised buffer filling strategy to always provide a full buffer to devices (more deterministic, and seems to work better with some devices).
4. Fixed: Some hardware could have a clicking sound during playback.
5. Fixed: 'Open URL..' was not working (i.e. radio streams).
6. Fixed: Durations were wrong when playing from Library Servers.

18.0.165 (4/8/2013)

1. Changed: Moved the timeout out a month.
2. Fixed: The core timer object could incorrectly return negative numbers, causing lots of weird problems like an unclickable tree, etc.
3. Changed: Added support for connecting to Library Servers that require authentication.

18.0.164 (4/5/2013)

1. Fixed: The dialog for customizing DLNA views was not working nicely.
2. NEW: The Add Library dialog now supports loading remote Library Server libraries.
3. Fixed: This build should fix a lot of seemingly random crashes caused by a bug in our event handling code.

18.0.163 (4/4/2013)

1. NEW: Auto-import watched folders are now working.

18.0.162 (4/3/2013)

1. Fixed: The program could crash after showing the summary at the end of an auto-import.
2. Changed: Revised buffer management for multi-channel devices that use an array of mono buffers (may solve click issues on these devices).
3. Fixed: Library tree browsing was not working properly with file location categories.

18.0.161 (4/2/2013)

1. Fixed: Tab, shift-Tab, F2, and up/down arrows work for navigating the list while doing tag editing.
2. Fixed: When a tooltip was covering a list item, the item could not be played or modified using the mouse.
3. Fixed: Library views that browse by file path were not working.

18.0.156 (3/25/2013)

1. Fixed: Memory leak with regard to auto-released system objects.
2. Fixed: Memory leak with cleanup of background threads.
3. Fixed: DSP Studio > Room Correction > Channel buttons were not working to switch channels.
4. Fixed: Sub-menu flyouts not hiding after moving to other menu items.
5. Fixed: Newly created smartlists could have a '/' in the name rather than going to the right playlist folder.
6. Faster: Improved user interface drawing efficiency and performance.

18.0.155 (3/22/2013)

1. Changed: Improved messaging when attempting to tag read-only files.
2. Fixed: The File > Open File... dialog was not allowing selection of files.
3. Faster: Improved the core threading engine so that background threads are much less resource intensive.
4. Fixed: Memory playback could work harder than necessary in some cases.

18.0.154 (3/21/2013)

1. Changed: The program now requires a license (after a 30 day free trial).
2. Fixed: Tagging of some formats was not working when the files were on a different volume than the system.

18.0.151 (3/15/2013)

1. Fixed: Lots of crashing from version 18.0.150
2. NEW: DLNA working as a server, controller and renderer. Note, you'll likely have to reset your settings if you didn't already in build 18.0.150, there are bad uuids in there. The easiest way to do this is to rename or remove the "~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 18/Settings" either from a terminal window or the finder after unhiding the ~/Library directory.
3. NEW: WebRemote applications working (Gizmo, JRemote, MyRiver, etc)

18.0.150 (3/14/2013)

1. NEW: Added Convolution DSP (same 64-bit SSE3 accelerated engine used on Windows).
2. NEW: Media Network (DLNA, Library Server, JRemote, etc.) available in options (still a work in progress).
3. NEW: MP3 encoding added.
4. NEW: Added configurable 'Channel offset' to Options > Audio > Output mode settings to allow targeting channels starting at something other than 1 (useful with pro / studio devices).
5. NEW: Drag-n-drop mostly working (within program, out of program, but not yet into program).
6. NEW: Added support for DSD bitstreaming using DoP.
7. Changed: Switched the timeout to April 16.
8. NEW: Wake On Lan implemented on Mac.

18.0.146 (3/8/2013)

1. Changed: Added support for more audio hardware (Lynx Hilo, RME Fireface UC, etc.).
2. Changed: Double-click, escape, etc. work on the playback display to exit Display View.
3. Fixed: Using some tools like Analyze Audio and Get Cover Art could prevent the program from closing even if they were no longer running.

18.0.143 (3/5/2013)

1. Fixed: Removed printing options from menu as they are not available yet on Mac and could cause a crash.
2. Changed: Changed text and link on "Help -> Registration Info" pop-up to reflect timeout and no license needed.
3. Fixed: Using cmd-Q to exit the program would result in a crash.
4. Fixed: Program text was garbled in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean translations.

18.0.142 (2/28/2013)

1. Fixed: SACD ISO files were not importing.
2. Fixed: Several cover art issues.
3. NEW: Internet POST requests work (makes Last.fm, etc.).
4. Fixed: If a background thread showed a message box, it would lead to a hang.
5. NEW: File move, rename, copy dialog functional. Not recommended for large scale or critical file operations until more testing is done.
6. Fixed: Problems with support of 32 bit only OSX systems, e.g. playback of MP3 files.

18.0.141 (2/26/2013)

1. Fixed: Sound devices that requested planar instead of interleaved data were not working.
2. Fixed: Cover art next to audio files was not loading properly.

18.0.140 (2/25/2013)

1. Fixed: The program would not run on systems without SSE 4.1 support.
2. Changed: Retooled SSE assembly everywhere in the program so that SSSE 3 is the low-water mark for SSE acceleration (previously SSE 4.1 was required in most places to get acceleration).
3. Fixed: Thread priorities were not implemented fully on Mac.

18.0.139 (2/22/2013)

1. Fixed: Wrong options file was being used in the 138 build resulting in frequent crashes.

18.0.138 (2/22/2013)

1. NEW: Added support for Core Audio exclusive output in Options > Audio > Output mode settings (enabled by default).
2. Fixed: Memory playback was not working properly.
3. Fixed: Plugins were not working because working path was not being set, this caused playback to fail.

18.0.137 (2/21/2013)

1. Fixed: Audio format converter working.
2. Changed: Register dynamic libs on first run after install rather than every startup.
3. Changed: Auto-update partially works. It will show whether version is up to date and download new version. Need to manually install.
4. Fixed: Show/Set update download directory not working.
5. Fixed: Search in options dialog not working.
6. Fixed: Encoder properties dialog in options not working.
7. Fixed: Clicking away from in-place editing box doesn't cancel edit mode.
8. Fixed: Mouse wheel support.
9. Changed: Close,Minimize,Maximize buttons moved to left side of frame.
10. Fixed: Lots of UI windowing issues (z-order,  white windows, black windows, floating windows,  etc.) should be fixed.
11. Fixed: Files with really long path names weren't importing.

18.0.136 (2/20/2013)

1. Fixed: Library backup / restore works, although restoring a library from the Windows version is not fully working yet.
2. Fixed: Internal volume working.
3. Fixed: Player window displaying wrong playback time.
4. Fixed: Some of the window z-order issues.
5. Changed: Somewhat friendlier message about lack of web browser support.
6. Changed: New and improved installer graphic.

18.0.133 (2/15/2013)

1. NEW: First release of Media Center on Mac.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Re: JRiver Media Center for Mac version 18.0.174 Alpha -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

That was a FAST update!  ;D

The behavior noted in 173 remains.  Namely 192K FLAC files pause 1 or more times each track, the time indicators re-set themselves and jump around and there is a large pause between each track

BUT

this behavior does NOT occur with 48K aif or slower FLAC files.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

The behavior noted in 173 remains.  Namely 192K FLAC files pause 1 or more times each track, the time indicators re-set themselves and jump around and there is a large pause between each track

I think you mentioned you're using DLNA.

It's possible this is a network bandwidth (or DLNA renderer performance) issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:58:54 pm »

Yes that could be what is slipping or tripping over itself.

But I must say it's the first time I've ever heard it.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:14 pm »

Deleted - Crash report moved to proper thread.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:08:20 am »

Yes I am using the DLNA and specifically the Audiophile 24 bit set up.

And I must say that I do appreciate it being useable, even if a bit 'quirky'.  The quality of the sound that the Media Network offers is significantly better than USB.  Even if the DSP functions aren't on line yet, even if the control interface is spastic at times, even if I have to toggle back and forth to the USB digital pathway (browsers don't know how to talk audio and Ethernet at the same time), even if I have to shut down the program every couple of hours in order to resume a semblance of functional control.

It is worth it, not only from the standpoint of the increase in resolution and inner detail it accords, but also because I have been waiting for this for many months now. 

Keep up the good work I for one (and I'm sure many others as well) are thrilled with the progress and rate of development.  :thumb  :thumb

JJ
ps I doubt it’s a network bandwidth issue, mostly because it has worked well in other iterations of MC.  Although there does seem to be a speed related degree of how far sideways the music stream goes.  IOW the faster the worse the performance.

I think you mentioned you're using DLNA.

It's possible this is a network bandwidth (or DLNA renderer performance) issue.

koesper

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:51:38 am »

Love the app, have been using it for about a month now.
I know you guys are still working hard on improvements, and i see the number of problems i experience decrease with each new build, so keep it up!

One suggestion that would improve the usability of the app immensely for me: make sure the minimize button works.
I know i can do right click and 'hide' on the Dock, but i keep clicking on the button that does nothing.

Regards, and keep up the good work!
Casper

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:18:54 am »

Updating the tags in files after editing tags in MC doesn't work anymore (18.0.174).
The status line shows the number of updates MC should do, but nothing else.
Data doesn't get written and the status line remains at the highest number forever.

Only "Update tags (from library)" does in fact update the data in the files.

Here is the message box after closing MC:

But there aren't any files locked.
"Update tags (from library)" writes the same files without problems.

Reverting to 18.0.169 which works fine in this respect.

fritsveer

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:41 pm »

I have an issue with playing ALAC 24/192 files with the last couple of updates.(program stops and have to re-select the source via DAC)
FLAC 24/192 plays fine (also the files transformed from ALAC to FLAC play then).
Any Id why or how to resolve?

Also The program stalls for approx 15 seconds when next song selected from MAC.

NB: using MC via DLNA to Superuniti,
NB: happy listener!!

bsauvage

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:06 pm »

Internet radios are still very 'hashed' (every 1 or 2 secs)

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:07 am »

DSP output format still causing program to close here.

Any attempt to change i.e left click, then close DSP window and click OK brings up spinning wheel and program close. Have re-booted Mac tried again with same result.

Edit. Having switched off the Auto Import option (having seen Jim's post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80235.0) this seems to have overcome this problem.

wim stolk

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 11:58:10 am »

it still crashes when auto-update is running in the background. put it off there are no problems, see the error log

smerdjakof

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

I must say. This MacRiver is already fantastic. I look foward to coming updates. I also use Audirvana and Audiogate and i think this MacRiver is as good as them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 02:03:14 pm »

it still crashes when auto-update is running in the background. put it off there are no problems, see the error log
Auto import?

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 03:48:02 pm »

Overnight 174 has closed/crashed twice now, have not had this issue for some time.  10.6.8 on Mini.

kmacdicken

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 04:11:10 pm »

The improvements are great!  I have a PS Audio PWD II and Bridge and have in recent versions been unable to play 24 bit without lots of skipping within tracks.  I am using the Audiophile settings - and the only way to avoid skipping is to change output format from 24 bit to MP3 high bandwidth.  At the MP3 setting I have no problems.  Is there a work around for this - the 24 bit stuff is so much better than the MP3 output.... Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 04:19:22 pm »

The improvements are great!  I have a PS Audio PWD II and Bridge and have in recent versions been unable to play 24 bit without lots of skipping within tracks.  I am using the Audiophile settings - and the only way to avoid skipping is to change output format from 24 bit to MP3 high bandwidth.  At the MP3 setting I have no problems.  Is there a work around for this - the 24 bit stuff is so much better than the MP3 output.... Thanks!
For anything other than a bug report, please start a new topic.   Skipping on large files could just be bandwidth limitations.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 10:16:08 am »

MC can't read japanese text in Standard view at all. It just shows square boxes for each letter.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 10:23:47 am »

"Paste from clipboard (URL or file)" doesnt work to apply cover art.

"Add from file" works fine.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 10:39:33 am »

MC options:

1. In "File location" if you choose "Custom..." the first text to appear is [Artist]\[Album]/ but it should be [Artist]/[Album]/

2. In "General">"Features" there is an option for Explorer that doesnt seem to do anything. Also I am guessing that "enable shell integration" isn't going to have any meaning on the mac.

3. In "Startup" it says "Run on Windows startup". It should say "Mac"

4. In "Tree and view" there is an option to use Internet Explorer as a browser.

scottlf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »

The hiccup sounds -- sometimes called "clicks" and the like, like stutters -- have grown more noticeable with this release, playing ALAC or FLAC files. I've tried turning playing from memory ON and then OFF; making the change can help momentarily, but it tends to come back. However, in most cases restarting the file playing ends the problem and it works after that.

Hardware: MacPro, to V-Link 192, to Audio Research DAC 7 and hence to amplifier.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »

Overview is still borked.  See attached.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

robiediekatze

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

The hiccup sounds -- sometimes called "clicks" and the like, like stutters -- have grown more noticeable with this release, playing ALAC or FLAC files. I've tried turning playing from memory ON and then OFF; making the change can help momentarily, but it tends to come back. However, in most cases restarting the file playing ends the problem and it works after that.

Hardware: MacPro, to V-Link 192, to Audio Research DAC 7 and hence to amplifier.

i have the same clicks very often.
sometimes they are reproduceable at the same position:
in case i play the file only a few seconds and then start it again.
i have also the impression that this happens more often after the start of the mc.

wim stolk

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:01 am »

Auto import?

yes auto import is running in the background when  the crash occurred.

jayla

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:30 am »

The internet radio stream still doesn't work continously for a lot of streams.javascript:void(0);

Beste regards
jayla

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:47 am »

When connected to my home media library, if I right click the application crashes. Now today, the application won't even launch. I've uninstalled the application, multiple times. did a pram reset, trashed library files before I uninstalled. After reinstalling, I'm prompted to restore my license. I enter my license number, Media Center states the license was successfully installed, then nothing. It stays on the splash screen, with options to purchase, restore license, extend trial. Your servers may show multiple license restorations within a 1 minute period..that's why.  Please help. All I want to do is to stream music from home, while at work.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »

I'm having problems with moving my window around.  When I go to move it, it stutters a bit and often moves it self 25% off my screen to the left when i lift my mouse up.  Sometimes it even jumps around as I'm dragging it around.

I'm seeing this on both my MacBook Pro and my Mac Mini.  Both running 174 & OS 10.8.3

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 12:38:52 pm »

I also wanted to add that I'm still getting occasional loud clicks/pops coming out periodically.

Media Center
    Install Path: /Applications/Media Center 18.app/Contents/MacOS/
    JRMark: 2575 (version 18.0.169)
    Library: 24199 files, 3.9 MB in library, 88.2 MB in thumbnails
Memory & CPU
    CPU features: MMX, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, AVX
Operating System
    Mac

I'm using an Emotiva XDA-1 via USB.  Later I'll try using it via optical.

robiediekatze

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 04:52:31 am »

I just installed MC 18.0.174 on my Mac Mini and I am having problems.  MC keeps crashing or minimizing when is minimizes I have to quit and restart. All my music is located on a Synology NAS.  I am not sure that I set it up correctly so I could use some guidance.  I have the Mac Mini attached by USB to an audiophile DAC.  I have been able to get it to play a few times but not inconstantly.  Also, can someone recommend the best remote app for iphone and ipad?  I downloaded My River and it doesn't connect most of the time.  My Mac Mini and NAS are connected via ethernet to the same gigabit hub.  I would appreciate advise.

JRemote is the best app

ting8663

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:15 am »

SSDP still crash occasionally, usually after running for several hours.

wim stolk

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:13 am »

yes auto import is running in the background when  the crash occurred.
it is now getting worse every time i try to import new albums it crashes. Even the whole library disappeared sometimes. It happens with auto import as well as a single import (when it is big). It always crashes after importing somewhere around 67 albums or files.
i am now left with an in-completed library of 67 albums.
but I love what the app does to the sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up