INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Did Some Kind Of Update, Now My Playlists And Library Are Gone  (Read 1966 times)

rsvp

• Recent member

I spent a long time putting this player together a few months ago.  I built quite a few playlists.  I opened MC after not using it for a long time and it said it was updating files, it looked like it was installing a new version, but I don't remember downloading an update.  Now it's empty.  No library, no playlists.

I figured out how to import my music folder back into the library, but still no playlists.

This is why I don't like computer based players - they rely on... computers!

Any suggestions on what happened and if there's anything I can do to restore my old playlists?  This is tedious. :'(

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Did Some Kind Of Update, Now My Playlists And Library Are Gone
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:00:04 pm »

Try restoring a backup.   MC makes them automatically.

rsvp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:12:45 am »

Try restoring a backup.   MC makes them automatically.

Loot at you scouring the forums for newbs like me!  Thanks Jim, I'll give it a whirl.  I searched for "auto backup" because someone else mentioned it solved their problem but couldn't find anything.  I'll peck around and let you know.  Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow to do a consumer show on Thursday in San Jose at Century Stereo and I thought I had it all dialed.

Thanks again!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:18:37 am »

The path for your automatic backups can be found in Tools/OPtions/File Location, the last location is called library backups. Remember that path or place it in your clipboard.

Close Options and go to File/Library/Restore Library. Copy the path or browse to it. Make sure Restore Library and playlists is ticked. If you've changed options recently, untick restore settings.

rsvp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:55:23 am »

The path for your automatic backups can be found in Tools/OPtions/File Location, the last location is called library backups. Remember that path or place it in your clipboard.

Close Options and go to File/Library/Restore Library. Copy the path or browse to it. Make sure Restore Library and playlists is ticked. If you've changed options recently, untick restore settings.

Yep, found it.  Thanks!  If I want to rescan the library without erasing playlists etc., I'm not sure I know where that is.  I move some albums off of the laptop, and JR lost them of course.  I've moved them back and I want JR to pick them up again.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:03:42 am »

You need to configure auto-import.

Open Tools/Import. Choose Configure Auto-Import. Click Next.

Add the path(s) of the folders that contain your music. Select the tasks you wish to run when auto-import imports new music. Make sure you configure the fix broken links

The ignore files removed from the library determines whether you want MC's import to ignore tracks you have manually removed from your library. If you don't tick that option, auto-import will reimport tracks you have removed from MC but which files still exist on disk. Note that removing tracks from within MC is not the same as moving files physically on disk.

rsvp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:42 am »

You need to configure auto-import.

Open Tools/Import. Choose Configure Auto-Import. Click Next.

Add the path(s) of the folders that contain your music. Select the tasks you wish to run when auto-import imports new music. Make sure you configure the fix broken links

The ignore files removed from the library determines whether you want MC's import to ignore tracks you have manually removed from your library. If you don't tick that option, auto-import will reimport tracks you have removed from MC but which files still exist on disk. Note that removing tracks from within MC is not the same as moving files physically on disk.

I think I have it, but what setting do I use to clear the old files in the library that it can't find?  I have a bunch of red "x's"

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 02:35:44 am »

I guess the easiest way is to configure fix broken links. set it to Yes if your media files are local. It gets more complicated if you have media on removable drives or network drives that are temporarily unavailable but if everything is on a single, local drive, just set it to Yes and run auto-import. THis should deal with removed files.

If that doesn't work, we can create a smartlist to find them but try this first.

rsvp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:59 pm »

I guess the easiest way is to configure fix broken links. set it to Yes if your media files are local. It gets more complicated if you have media on removable drives or network drives that are temporarily unavailable but if everything is on a single, local drive, just set it to Yes and run auto-import. THis should deal with removed files.

If that doesn't work, we can create a smartlist to find them but try this first.

Yeah, part of it is that I had some other drives hooked up.  So how do I make them go away?  And if I do plug in a flash drive temporarily, how do I import just that drive without messing up my other libraries?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:59 am »

Did you try to configure auto-import as I described with fix broken links? That should take care of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up