INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0 crashing problems -- gone?  (Read 3613 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
MJ 8.0 crashing problems -- gone?
« on: March 28, 2002, 01:42:41 pm »

Build 8.0.237 should have fixed the last of the crashing problems we know about.  If you've had the problems, please report results, good or bad.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:MJ 8.0 crashing problems -- gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 01:46:46 pm »

>> good, bad

Or Ugly

I will check it out in 296 downloads from now
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cjdshaw

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 01:46:58 pm »

I rely too much on Replay Gain to do without it, I'm afraid. I'm holding off downloading betas until I see:

Fixed: DSP's (including Replay Gain) work again

Are DSP's not working because you're making them better or because you're having problems with the code?

jimmy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 01:52:15 pm »

I've been updating tags this afternoon and just spent 20 min in the Vis Stuio with out a crash. So far so good.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 02:48:26 pm »

DSP's are missing because we changed the architecture and haven't finished implementing the new method.  Should be in a build or two.

And another bump in the road.  Matt has been sick for a week.  He went to the doctor yesterday and he has ... PNEUMONIA!  He's in love with the little pink pills they gave him.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 02:56:58 pm »

JimH

Maybe You Should Wish Him Well From The "Fly Tack Strip Gang"

Peanuts Optional

The Best Pills Are Ones With Many Pretty Colors

Now Playing: Tommy James & The Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion.mp3

For Matt

Now Playing: Hanna-barbera - Get Well Message Fred Flintstone.mp3
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 03:58:07 pm »

I also must apologise for recent non-contribution.
I found that, like cjdshaw, I really can't bear to be without Replay Gain.
Tried it for a week or so, but couldn't stand it any longer.

Listening to "Waiting for a Friend" - Rolling Stones - on MJ80227

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 07:57:30 pm »

So far so good. 8's been really stable for me the last few builds, except for my crashing APL problem, but even that seems to be fixed now. I think it was the re-ripping that did it, though and not an MJ bug. Probably if I had done that right away, I could have saved myself some aggrivation. I still have the original file though, in case you want me to send it to you. Maybe you can figure out exactly why it was causing MJ to crash and make MJ more able to handle that sort of thing? Just let me know.

I have to tell you. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything more that I want from a media player (except for Quicktime support!). You may have almost lost a future sale here - I may never feel the need to upgrade now! I doubt it though. I'm sure you guys will come up with something for 8.1 or 9 to make me start drooling again. Next Page Great job, you guys. Next Page

sekim

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2002, 08:02:44 pm »

JimH

Sorry to rain on your parade. Look at the beta thread, and the nasty Arsenolite.DLL I was lucky enough to recieve. Had another vapor lock when I tried to visit the mpeg|PLS| format web page from plug-in manager. Now I can't say for sure if this was MJ or IE. The page didn't load right away and I had IE opened to the format plug-in page at the same time. When nothing happened I went into IE and decided to hit the track info link from the shortcuts on the left. As soon as I clicked the link my machine went belly up. However, the format page flashed on the screen just prior to the black screen of dismay.

Tried to duplicate. No luck, in a relative sort of way. Like I said, unsure as to what may have been the badboy on this one.

Sudadon

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2002, 09:37:46 pm »

The frequent crashes during playback has not happened yet on the latest build.

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2002, 11:09:05 pm »

I will say yes.Still some problems.but "alt=ctrl=delete" close MJ
The only problem is when after a seach i try to play the results.Sometimes it is ok,other times MJ freeze
On the whole much much much better since the last 3 builts.Only the download manager has some problems

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2002, 11:13:42 pm »

Seems to be very stable. Only DIBENG crash came in the office/streaming Music01, MJ choked on a 192bit file, began violent buffering, spontaneously aborted. Was pretty deep into a 9-hour playlist. Otherwise, looks really good - great job.

Like Doof, wonder where else you can go now. Minor stuff: different skins, more utilitarian slider for Playing Now, maybe a few more features for CD Labeler (ability to manipulate images/insert multiple images on label). Or how about a Total Recorder plug-in?

HTH

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2002, 01:36:11 am »

JimH - Have not had crashing problem for last 2-3 builds. I suspect you and the rest of the Development Team should have a party and slap each other on the back or whatever, for a job well done (IMHO).

In fact I'm having very few problems now with MJ8.0. Ones I can think of are:

1> In printing, it occasionally cuts off about 1/2 of the first and last entries of titles.

2> Problems getting CDDB to work - maybe I am still in learning process - I'm kinda slow catching on to new things.

3> I'm not really sure about skipping some title names when CD's are burned. Have only made 1 CD with this latest version, and it was flawless as far as I'm concerned.

I've really loaded this ole machine up with unnecessary things trying to get it to crash like it used to with nothing running but Anti-Virus, and it hasn't.

Anxiously awaiting the return of DSP's, et all. Was able to use DFX when DSP's turned off with very few or no problems, but it was shut off also in latest 2 or so builds - I don't understand really why, but that's OK. The old MJ DSP I liked a lot better than DFX anyways.

I really appreciate you guys doing a fine job. Now my faith and confidence in you as a company can begin to grow again.

Later - sg2

Alan Jackson - Drive album.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.237

CPU: Intel Pentium II 348 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 73 MB
Resource Info: System - 62 %, GDI - 84 %, User - 62 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Easyrider

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2002, 01:04:08 pm »

Jim

Have not had a crash since build 233.

Have not seen the "DIBENG" crash cart!!!! And I did everthing I could to make it happen.  

What are we going to do with our spare time!!!!

I am enjoying all the great features MJ has to offer.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2002, 01:09:22 pm »

I am kind of wondering if J River's Programing Department Was Open Today Or If The God Father Let Them Off.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Easyrider

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2002, 02:12:30 pm »

Home Alone Again!!!

Let's see what kind of trouble we can get into!!!!

Any Ideas

Michael Horton

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2002, 02:25:52 pm »

There's one thing that I can do to crash MJ every time, without exception, but it's very minor. If I am in Media Library view, and I do mass editing of file properties, such as adding album art or notes, wait for MJ to complete the process, and then click on the devices icon or the specific drive subfolder, and the CDDB search pops up because there is a new CD in the drive--MJ crashes every single time. If I do anything between the closing of the mass tag editing and clicking on the drive icon, such as clicking on Playing Now or Playlists, and THEN go to the devices icon, MJ does not crash. Also, if the CD was previously recognized and CDDB does not come up, there is no crash. And if I do anything prior to click on the drive icon other than mass editing, there is no crash. See, very minor.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2002, 04:26:54 pm »

I can crash it if I flip through the visualizations fast. Arsenolite doesn't crash but I can't change them. The pull-down comes up but it doesn't check what I click.
Listening to: 'The Wind Cries Mary' from 'Are You Experienced' by 'Jimi Hendrix' on Media Jukebox
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

toni

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2002, 04:32:24 pm »

gone with the wind!
but we want DSPs back!

Michael Horton

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2002, 04:37:28 pm »

Hey, speaking of visualeyesoreations. On some of the track info pages that have built-in Vis's, often as soon as I use one, Norton Firewall pops up and tells me that it intercepted someting bad--sub-seven trojan kind-of-a-thingy. Wierd.

Listening to: A House - Curious

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2002, 04:42:30 pm »

>> sub-seven trojan kind-of-a-thingy
It may be confused, but you should update NAV and scan your system

sub-seven trojan, Not nice

Now Playing: Boogie Wonder Band - Keep Disco Alive! - 10 - Get Down On It.mp3
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michael Horton

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2002, 05:13:16 pm »

Thanks King--no viruses, just one of those wierd MJ-Norton Firewall interactions. In playing now, if I scroll through the track info pages, the first time that I hit one that has a built-in vis (like DJ), Norton Firewall pops up the message that it blocked one from accessing the computer (rather than the Norton anti-virus message that it intercepted one). Happens the first time, but not after, until I re-open MJ. Freaked me out the first couple of times, though. I run auto-scans every night.

stebajo

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2002, 05:44:57 pm »

For me too, no more crash, only some strange quick looping between seguent titles to that I've selected to play in users' Media Library in Music01. The loop is without sound not like buffer issue and I have to push stop button; than usually I must quit MJB and select another user.
If MJB is on it does not get automatically the bar notice 'Connecting the server, please wait..' and nothing happen.

rar2667

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2002, 07:30:37 pm »

I had been having lots of crashes on the last build I had (227 I think) and thought I'd try 237.  Still crashes in VIS Studio.DLL after 2-3 tracks. I uninstalled that plugin and consistently played 10 tracks or more in a row. I downloaded Arsenolite plug-in and am having no problems with it.

Just FYI...I don't think they're gone yet.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.237

CPU: AMD Athlon 548 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 96 MB
Resource Info: System - 54 %, GDI - 78 %, User - 54 %

Internet Explorer: 5.00.2614.3500
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.2614.3500
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.2614.3500
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1019) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2002, 04:42:07 am »

Have burned 4 CD's with this version. MJ has missed adding song title  1 time on 1 album.
Very low miss percentage. Sooo much better than with previous builds.

Eddie & Martha Adcock - Spirited. (Strumin & Pickin)

Later - sg2

Fabster

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2002, 05:42:18 am »

Where can I download Version 8?

Pythius

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2002, 05:48:46 am »

No more crashes for me. Nice job!!!!!

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

ZRocker

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2002, 06:51:19 pm »

mini-me Bug:
1. While viewing the playlist in mine-me mode, if you use drag-n-drop to re-arrange the playlist order, MJ will immediately crash.  See:

(also posted in Beta 8.0.237 thread)

Update: 04/01/2002 10:40AM
Based on Doof's comment, I tried this with another skin (Rotar) and MJ did not crash.  So, with my LowerRight skin, MJ will crash (through no fault of mine).  So, Nikolay...please try it with the LowerRight skin.

Update: 04/01/2002 10:43AM
Well, it doesn't crash with LowerRight again...must a hard-to-replicate type bug...my prior playlist was only 11 tracks and may have been for tracks not imported into MJ (not sure).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2002, 05:28:43 am »

ZRocker> That doesn't happen for me under XP. I can rearrange playlists in mini-me without problem.

Wutzi

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2002, 11:00:01 am »

It seems to be like that! MJ didn´t cause errors during playback (as usually did) since install of 237..

You did a very good job on me Next Page

Thanx alot

jimmy

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2002, 12:22:10 pm »

Just today I started getting crashes when attempting to get into vis studio-- Funny thing is, I know I spent a bit of time there last week without problem.

MEDIA JUKEBOX caused an invalid page fault in
module PLAYBACKENG.DLL at 0167:02b7e955.

This machine has been running all weekend, I'll try restarted.

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2002, 08:18:55 am »

there are still some crashes, specially when MJ tries to read or save data and an error occured. So, I think there are still some unhandled errors, causing an exception error. I had some crashes during 'save data' option out of property window, when MJ tries to save data from eg corrupted ID3-tags.

Udo
Udo

zevele1

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2002, 09:15:25 am »

No crashs like before,but still 8 who freezes very often.Most of the time when trying to play.From any places,album,artist album,seach,last imported.Have to close 8 with alt=ctrl=del
But most of the time 8 will not open again.Just the blue welcome screen.Needs to rebot to get 8 opening........and maybe again freezes...
Clean install of ME  ans,according to McAfee utilities not any problem or potential problem on my machine

Eyemaster

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2002, 10:57:42 am »

Media Jukebox was constantly crashing on me during playback, but the last 2 builds I have not had 1 crash.  My only problem is I can't play CD's anymore.  Not sure what build I lost this ability.  It just plays the first 2 seconds of a track then skips to the next.  This is with digital playback.  If I choose analog it works, but sounds like crap.
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.239

CPU: Intel Pentium III 933 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 136 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.7

sloskier

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2002, 04:27:24 pm »

Used mj almost from it's inception. Always some minor irritant blocked me from buying a license -- until version 8. Thanks guys, couldn't imagine manipulating my 10,000 plus files without you. I'm a financial supporter as of this week, as well as a member of your fan club. FYI, a minor problem, have crashed twice doing artist renames where I have 20 plus files under the artist name. Intermittent problem, have not found source of problem yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up