INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Cover Art after Library Restore  (Read 5692 times)

destruct

• Recent member
Missing Cover Art after Library Restore
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »

I did a library restore to synchronize my secondary library on my laptop to my PC where I normally add CD files.
I have done the exact same procedure (I have it written down) before with no glitches.
My procedure did account for correcting the library path on the backup used to restore the Laptop to the PC library version.
Again, I used a known good procedure.

After this restore, about 8% of the album covers are 'missing'  on the laptop with only placeholders showing.
Even stranger, the restored library has seven more albums and four more artists than the original library. 
I am referencing the "totals" provided under "Audio" - Albums, and Artists.

Obviously there are some sorting and cataloging differences, as there are in actuality no 'new' artists or albums.

I actually repeated the process, and had different, but still erroneous results.

In short, a failed restore.

At this point I will restore back to previous version from saved backups.

Please advise

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Missing Cover Art after Library Restore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »

Please read about cover art on the wiki.  It's either stored in the file, or in the directory with the audio, or in a special cover art directory.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:17 am »

The procedure I am using was provided [in this forum] by StFeder, [with great patience for me I might add].

It has worked on several occasions before, and there has been no changes made to his procedure.
And there have been no changes to the library structure on either computer. 
Only thing changed was addition of more ripped CD's.

The cover art is stored where it has always been [both computers] - in the same folders as the music files.

I appreciate info regards wiki on cover art, but that will not solve the problem.

Speaking of wiki, why has there never been a serious attempt to publish such a procedure, in step-by-step form?
I have read enough to see that a large number of people [besides myself] have, or had,  similar needs regards MJ.

Please provide some directly useful tips if possible

thank you

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:08:56 am »

Cover Art
As far as I remember, library restore doesn't effect cover art. That means, it will not restore your cover art. I'm not sure how you can transfer cover art from on PC to another when cover art is stored outside your files.

I always store my cover art inside my files so I have no problems even if I use another playback software or use the Windows Explorer to copy files to my mobile. The disadvantage of this method is, that if you have an album which (of course) contains the same art for every file, it is stored in every single file and uses more space on your Hard Disk. But as Hard Disk Space is really cheap it's no big deal for me.

So, to guide you to a solution:
You have to go to Tools -> Options and set to store your cover art inside the files. I don't remember where exactly to look for this options. For Media Center it's at "File Location -> Also store image in the file's tag". After you set this, you have to make sure, MC updates all your files to store the images in your files, if they where located outside. For this mark all your (audio)files and right click them and select "Library Tools -> Update Tags from library". This should do the trick.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:16:35 am »

Different Album/Artist Count
I red your post here right the day after you posted it. And every now and then thought about it. But to be honest: I cannot imagine a reason for the different album/artist count.

Right after restoring the library there shouldn't be any difference between both systems. Neither should there be more nor less. The only thing I could think of is, that there is some autoimport running. But this should take some time after you did the import and not result in a different count instantly...

Does the Media Jukebox have the feature called "Access Control"? Very unlikely, but this is the only other thing which came in my mind. If MJ has this feature, you should find it in your "View" Menu. If you find it near the bottom of this menu, make sure that it is configured the same way on both of your PCs.

destruct

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:27:33 pm »

I understand that cover art is not something stored within the library itself.

If what you mean by storing cover art inside the files, means cover art in same folder as music files, then that is what I have done all along.
Otherwise, I don't know.

Re: "Access Control", I do not see that in View menu.

At this point in time, I have cleaned up MJ on both computers, and will not be attempting any more cloning of libraries from one computer to the other.

Just to verify, this is the procedure I used, which I adapted from StFeder's instructions.  If there is a glitch here, please let me know:

MEDIA JUKEBOX
   CLONING OR UPDATING  LIBRARY
   FROM PC TO MAC

IN PC

1.   IN MJ SELECT FILE, LIBRARY, BACKUP LIBRARY
2.   OPEN LIBRARY BACKUPS USING DESKTOP SHORTCUT
3.   SELECT BACKUP WITH LATEST DATE AND COPY TO DESKTOP

FILE READY TO BE MOVED TO MAC

IN MAC

1.   IN MJ SELECT FILE, LIBRARY, BACKUP LIBRARY
2.   IN MJ SELECT FILE, LIBRARY, RESTORE LIBRARY
3.   SELECT THE 'MOVED' FILE TO USE FOR RESTORE
4.   RIGHT CLICK 'AUDIO', SELECT CUSTOMIZE VIEW
5.   IN NEW WINDOW, SELECT ALL FOUR 'TREE' OPTIONS
6.   SELECT 'NONE' IN 'GROUP BY' DROP DOWN
7.   CLICK OK, SELECT OVERWRITE (NOT RECOMMENDED)
8.   CLICK ANY FILE (TO SELECT) IN LEFT SIDE OF WINDOW
9.   CLICK EDIT, SELECT ALL
10.   CLICK TOOLS, LIBRARY TOOLS, RENAME-MOVE-COPY
11.   DROP DOWN BOX, LEFT SIDE, SELECT UPDATE DATABASE…
12.   'FIND_REPLACE' SHOULD ALREADY BE CHECKED.  IF NOT, DO SO
13.   'FIND_REPLACE PATHS' SHOULD ALREADY BE FILLED IN, IF NOT FILL IN AS IN RIGHT HAND WINDOW
   [ REF: FIND -  'E:\MY MUSIC'   REPLACE WITH - 'C:\USERS\ALAN\MUSIC' ]
14.   CLICK OK
15.   EXAMINE 'ARTISTS' AND 'ALBUMS' THUMBNAILS FOR ERRORS
16.   COMPARE TOTALS IN 'ARTISTS' AND 'ALBUMS' WITH THAT ON PC

Pages: [1]   Go Up