INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to an AVR for 2.1 output ... Matt will love this :)  (Read 4249 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

As Matt knows, I'm a big AVR fan for all the stuff and usually mock him for not going down this route ..... but I'm toying with replacing my current 2.1 Axiom Audiobyte setup in the Study with something capable of higher sound pressure levels and instead of going for an AVR, I was thinking of some Axiom bookshelf and active sub but I'd need some form of Amp to connect it to my PC (+ it would need to be small for this environment) and a way of driving the Sub.  I currently use a 2ch FiiO E10 USB DAC from the PC to drive both the Axiom Audiobyte 2.1 Amp (pushes to three passive speakers and does the bass mgt) + it includes a headphone amp.

Suggestions on what may work?

JRiver CEO Elect

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Alternative to an AVR for 2.1 output ... Matt will love this :)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05:47 am »

Someone will probably flame me for suggesting it:  buy a fan-less power amplifier. You could buy three seperates and use them in bridged mode (one amp per speaker).

I bought 4 cheap Behringer A500s to drive my 7.1 system. They produce audible distortion between 50 and 80 % volume - so they have to be used at full volume and with the pc as a pre-amp.
It certainly handles rapid changes in sound pressure (transients?) a lot better than my H/K 235 AVR.

There are other more "stable" PAs, Crown often being mentioned. Heard good things about Emotiva as well. They have a 3-channel amp, XPA-3, which may or may not suit your need

Just my thought, though. Looking forward to see other recommendations.

Best regards,
Mikkel

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »

You need a 4 channel DAC. Most likely it will need to be a pro audio device. Glynor has the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB which would work perfectly. You can buy in the US for around $170 at places such as Musicians Friend (with discount code).

There are lots of 4 channel pro audio devices with either USB or Firewire connection. The Focusrite also has a mic input with phantom power so you just need to get a measuring microphone and you can calibrate your room. You can even use it in any other room for calibration. The benefit of going 4 channels is that you can now use JRiver for the crossover, levels, distance settings, PEQ, and even the subwoofer limiter and Linkwitz Transform if you want to make your own subwoofer.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:09 am »

I'm still stumped on what to drive it all with.  I've got on order some bookshelf speakers and I have a passive Sub (that I "think" will do the task TBA).  Do I just get some car amp to pair with the DAC?  I really would like an all in one solution like an AVR but they are just to physically big for a PC setup.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:17 am »

Everything you need is at Parts-Express.com. They ship world wide.

To amplify the speakers, you can get either the Lepai LP-2020A or the Dayton Audio DTA-100a. I used a little T-amp for a while with my 83 dB efficient speakers in my office system. For the subwoofer you can buy a plate amp and mount it in a little box or buy something like the Dayton SA230. I have a Dayton SA1000 for my office subwoofer. You can also get a Pro Audio amp for the sub, but they are usually noisy. If you have a circular saw and router, you can buy a driver from Parts Express and make your own sealed sub very easily.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:12 am »

Everything you need is at Parts-Express.com. They ship world wide.

To amplify the speakers, you can get either the Lepai LP-2020A or the Dayton Audio DTA-100a. I used a little T-amp for a while with my 83 dB efficient speakers in my office system. For the subwoofer you can buy a plate amp and mount it in a little box or buy something like the Dayton SA230. I have a Dayton SA1000 for my office subwoofer. You can also get a Pro Audio amp for the sub, but they are usually noisy. If you have a circular saw and router, you can buy a driver from Parts Express and make your own sealed sub very easily.

I can personally recommend the little Lepai 2020A+ amps as well.  Unbeatable for the money, especially with low to mid sensitivity speakers.  They're tiny (smaller than a mass market paperback, larger than a deck of cards), they run cool, and they cost $20.  They weren't a good solution for some very high sensitivity drivers I have (a little too much line noise in that application), but they're dead quiet on a pair of 89 dB/1 watt refurbished Infinity RS-3000's.  I can't think of a better amp at that price point.

If you do get one, I'd recommend replacing the bundled a/c adapter with a higher amp adapter; the one they shipped with mine couldn't even theoretically provide the rated power to the amp.  But that's a five dollar solution.  

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:13:53 pm »

If you get a four channel DAC, you are only using 3 channels for 2.1. I wouldn't want that 4th channel to go to waste. How about hooking one of these up!  ;D

Sturdy construction for long-term indoor and outdoor paging, music, and intercom use:

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »

No going to Work!  It is only ONE WAY.  unless you have a full duplex megaphone (Mmmm I wonder if I can get Matt to make one in his shed)...

Anyway the current prototype is as follows but the MC I/F is taking a bit to work out.

On a serious note.... I think I'll chicken out and just get a 2nd hand AVR. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 05:41:21 am »

I gave up and got another Yami AVR (a cheap RX-V1067).  Like my existing RX-A3000 it is DLNA compatible so I can push stuff to it and control it via MC and Gismo etc over the NW.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up