INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server with client access on LAN - not able to use authorization?  (Read 15465 times)

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I set up a new computer on my lan and set my main computer up as a Server (previously set up this way).  I use JREMOTE on my ipad so it was already set up. I have authentication checked so that way I can update the ratings on my ipad and it sync's back to the server - I have had no problems with this set up.

When I tried to add the new computer on the LAN as a client - I couldn't get it to sync up with the IP or the key.  I regenerated the key thinking a reset might be needed - no joy.  I was able to use Gismo on the lan computer - but I had to enter a username/password - then the light went off - there is no place to add this information when you add the library to the client - it only asks for the key - so I unclicked need authorization on the server computer (restarted the program) - went to LAN computer and the main sever library came right up.  I know that there is an AUTO SYNC WITH SERVER button on the client - BUT I don't want that client to be able to make changes (kids computer).  But I still want to be able to make changes from my IPAD.

So there is some sort of disconnect in this process (and on a side note the wiki really needs to be updated for setting up server and the client settings - as it refers to older versions of JRiver).

Using MC 18.0.177 on both.

Hope this helps.  Any solution/suggestions to correct this issue would be great.  At this time I have opted to leave authorization off but that disables my ipad functionality.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Server with client access on LAN - not able to use authorization?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »

Please try it without JRemote involved.  Read a little about servers on the wiki.  The topic is called "Servers".

You may be trying to connect to the DLNA Server.  You should probably use Library Server.

The wiki topic on "Network Access" might also be useful.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »

Hi Jim,

JRemote is not involved at all in the process.  I was only mentioning JREMOTE as I am able to access the library with authentication through JREMOTE without any issues - Media server on - authorization code entered on JREMOTE, user name/password entered - acsess to SERVER good.  It is my understanding that you have to use authentication with JREMOTE in order for changes (rating changes) to sync back to the server. 

The issue is with adding  a new computer on my LAN - unable to access the media server without unclicking the authorization button on the SERVER computer.

In regards to your wiki recommendations:
As for the Network access issue - I ran the test connection and received an okay on the server computer.  I also am familiar with setting up my router for port forwarding and allowing ports/ip address's through my firewall.  - so firewall is not the issue - The server is on a new Windows 8 computer and maybe there is something that needs to be done specifically in Windows but I don't think so.

As for your Server issue - I have it set up as a library server -the use media library and set up dlna server box is checked.  (although the wiki still references MC 16)

I was just trying to point out that with the authentication boxed checked and a username and password noted - when you go to the client and add library under playing now  and enter the key from the server - it never connects - as soon as I unchecked the authorization required on the SERVER computer - the CLIENT on the LAN was able to connect.  Seems like this is a bug.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »

Jim? 

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:13:50 pm »

Hi Jim or anyone else,

Is there a solution to this.  As it is I am unable to assign ratings through the JREMOTE app as I have to leave authentication off so my lan computers can connect.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »

Copied over SERVER authentication post as directed by Jim:

The issue is with adding  a new computer on my LAN - unable to access the media server on CLIENT without unclicking the authenticatoin button on the SERVER computer.

I already looked at the wiki in the following sections and there was no help to be provided:

Network access wiki - I ran the test connection and received an okay on the server computer.  I also am familiar with setting up my router for port forwarding and allowing ports/ip address's through my firewall.  - so firewall is not the issue - The server is on a new Windows 8 computer and maybe there is something that needs to be done specifically in Windows but I don't think so.

Server wiki - I have it set up as a library server -the use media library and set up dlna server box is checked.  (although the wiki still references MC 16)

With the authentication boxed checked and a username and password noted - when you go to the client and add library under playing now  and enter the key from the server - it never connects - as soon as I unchecked the authentication required on the SERVER computer - and do not require a user name and password - the CLIENT on the LAN was able to connect.  Seems like this is a bug.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

Not sure why there was a request to copy and paste this information back into this post and then the other post was deleted?  Usually the help here is pretty good.  Not sure why there is no response or help here.  Seems weird.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up