INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC hangs during start "detecting proxy settings"?  (Read 1540 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
MC hangs during start "detecting proxy settings"?
« on: May 11, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »

I have a problem with MC18 starting up and display nothing but the Win7 busy indicator.  "Media Center 18.exe", as listed as a process shows absolutely no activity, except the bottom of the MC18 Window status bar indicates "detecting proxy settings".  This goes on for several minutes and now it's indicating "Website found. Waiting for reply" ... wait ... wait ... it's going on 5 minutes!!

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (without also deleting the library) to no effect ... please advise.

EDIT:  JRweb.exe also shows as a process, but also with no activity (memory doesn't change, no CPU activity)

EDIT2:  After speaking to my wife, who closed down MC last to instead watch TV, I believe the problem has something to do with a problem I tried to report earlier here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76645.msg519938#msg519938

That is, she claims that before switching the AVR over to "TV", she noticed MC had gone into Theatre view.  What I found in the past is that MC18 does not play nice with my HDMI out when the AVR switches over to "TV", when MC18 believes Theatre view (or display view) should be displaying information of the designated display (HD TV via HDMI).  That is, it removes the display that MC18 believes should be using.  What I've found is that I have to be in standard view, or if a movie is being shown on that display, that I have to stop it and have MC switch to standard view, ... in other words, I have to entirely remove MC's focus on the HD TV before I have the AVR make the switch.  In the past, MC18 would simply crash ... but now it doesn't want to start up at all ... please help me .. please!  :(

TIA  :)
MC18 (build 175)
Windows 7 64bit
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC hangs during start "detecting proxy settings"?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:17:59 pm »

Firewall?

You might also try the latest build from the top of the MC18 board.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »

Firewall?

You might also try the latest build from the top of the MC18 board.
Thanks Jim for a prompt reply ... maybe I'll get this figured out in time for a movie tonight(?)  :)

I had been using build 178, then I tried installing 180 on top of 178 .... then I tried uninstalling MC18 and installing the stable version (175).  All behave the same way.

Regarding the reference to web access, I no longer believe that's the issue, rather a symptom.

Edit: also check modifications to my 1st post, which may have been changed since you saw it ...

shAf

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »

An additional symptom, possibly not associated at all, is that Microsoft Explorer has stopped accessing the internet.  Firefox and Chrome however are working fine(??)  Weird!!

EDIT:  I reset MSIE9, and now MC18 loads its web browers instantly.  HOWEVER, it still enters into its coma with the spinning busy curser ... stay tuned ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:58:17 pm »

This doesn't sound like an MC problem.  You could try reinstalling IE.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 03:48:35 pm »

This doesn't sound like an MC problem.  ...
... and you are correct!  Altho the problem remains unfixed, I believe the problem lies with my external USB3 harddrive, with which this computer has given me problems in the past, but thought fixed after installing a USB3 PCI card.  In any case, with the USB3 drive removed, MC works fine ... but it is missing its library hardware  :(

The good news is that the USB3 drive does work with my Macbook, and I'm making sure its backed up to my Synology, and I'll copy a few movies over to my HTPC for tonight.  The other good news is that my replacement HTPC has been ordered, albeit 10 days out  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up