INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download Manager  (Read 7866 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Download Manager
« on: March 27, 2002, 04:08:51 pm »

That other thread is too long and I want someone who knows to see this.
How do you make Media Jukebox's Download Manager your default download manager? I.e. when you click on a web page's "Download" button, MJDM takes it from there.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Harry the Hipster

RE:Download Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 04:43:05 pm »

Download manager>Settings>Options>File associations, and if the desired extension isn't listed in the window, click 'Add' and insert the extension you want MJ to handle.

HTH

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 06:13:01 pm »

Download Manager has to be running, which isn't the most elegant solution since it's either always on top or it's minimized to the taskbar. And it only intercepts downloads that come the old fashioned way, so a lot of these new fangled download sites that use some sort of script won't work either. But that's really the same limitation that even the "big boys" (Go!Zilla and GetRight) have to deal with too. But at least they allow it to be started with Windows, start minimized, and minimize to the system tray, which is something I've requested for Download Manager a few times.

Really, all we need is a minimize to system tray option because we can always create a Startup Group shortcut that runs it minimized (although it would be nicer to see options for those as well). I'm holding out hope, despite the fact that they keep saying there'll be no more new features. Next Page

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 07:50:40 pm »

What happens when you close the DM when dls are still pending?
Does it save them for continuation next time?

Reason being...my MJ crashed in the background...but i'm downloading a looooong list that would take forever to rebuild...but i'd like to be able to restart it to do another rip...but not at the cost of having to redo the list...

Raymond

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 05:39:26 am »

The Download Manager that came with build 236 does save your list for the next session. Your pending items will be marked as aborted the next time you run Download Manager, just select those and choose Retry Download.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 06:07:52 am »

This may just be an EMusic thing, but last night when I was playing around with it, any download that I Paused, when I UnPaused it, would download for a little bit and then show Canceled. I had to retry the download to get it to go again. But again, it could have just been an EMusic thing.

Raymond> Any chance of getting a minimize to system tray option?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 08:12:30 am »

Raymond

This Build, Crash, Reloaded DM, And The 500|PLS| Marked Files In the List Gone.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Raymond

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 09:41:02 am »

Doof,
    Were you using fragment downloads? Anyway, some web server may have a timeout to a inactivity connection. Am doing the system tray option. Hmm... King might want to have a spinning globe for the tray icon when there's activity going on Download Manager??? Next Page

King,
    Again, were you using fragment downloads? The list will only be saved when you exit Download Manager the old fashion way. Do you know how far down the list DM got to before crashing?

Raymond

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2002, 09:50:10 am »

Raymond

>> were you using fragment downloads?
No

>> The list will only be saved when you exit Download Manager the old fashion way.
I was hoping for a fix just in case it did not exit the old fashion way

>> Do you know how far down the list DM got to before crashing?
I am not sure if it matters

i have downloaded 9,000 files with 3 crashes in the DM normaly it was when there was about 500 or more files in the list and i was adding more. I am not sure if the number of files in this list is the problem. i rather think the problem is when adding files or adding files when the list is large.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2002, 10:08:27 am »

Interesting thing just happened.

My Firewire cable came out, Windows Gave A Message File Could Not Be Saved. Then Kept Asking Me For A Name To Save The File To, Cancel Abouted The Transfer And Went To The Next File in A Big Loop Of Abortions, I Had To Close DM Using CTRL - Alt And Delete.

And I Lost The List Again
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2002, 10:08:32 am »

I wasn't using fragment downloads either.

I've had other wonkiness that I posted about in the EMusic thread. I'm not sure if it's all related or not.

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2002, 10:20:48 am »

Download Manager not working at all!!
Emusic
Full album, DM opens but nothing happens
one song,i got the Windows download
Other kind of downlads=as with full album
As far as i know,i have the sames settings that in the built before
One download at the time
not fragment downloads
connection:both settings with the same result

WindowsME-IE 6-Zone alarm-AVG antivirus-Naviscope[pop up blocker,prefetch,trace route working on port 81]-Ashoopo uninstaller-autoform running in the back

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2002, 10:30:20 am »

zevele10

some times there is delays, not sure if that is a Emusic Or DM Issue Or Not

You might want to Exit And Reload DM when this happens.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2002, 11:00:58 am »

King
Test on 10 same albums
DM=same problem
FreeAmp =Works fine,starts download without delay

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2002, 12:42:45 pm »

I Do Think It Is A DM Issue.

Exit With Que:

The Only time The Que Shows Back Up Is If You Do not have DM Running And Attempt A Download, Then DM Loads The Que.

If You Load Up DM And You Had Exited With Files In The Que, And You Attempt To Download It Seems The DM Will Clear The Old Cue For The New Que.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Raymond

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2002, 12:55:52 pm »

Guys,
I will check out all the bugs you guys have reported. Thanks for reporting. Here is some information to consider. There might be a server error when downloading the rmp file, since it was done in the background we wouldn't know the download progress of that rmp file. Maybe will create a separate window to show the progress of that download.

The resume function will be available only if the partially downloaded file exists at the location specified. Also, some firewall does temper with the HTTP headers and the size reported in the header might include the size of some extra strings added from the firewall. A few bytes won’t affect percentage calculation but when comparing the size information returned by the firewall with the actual size read, it shows the difference. That might be why Doof have his entire files showing Incomplete. I will do some more testing on this.

Ray

zevele1

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2002, 01:01:35 pm »

If of any help
If i remove all kind of connections for MediaJukebox from "give access"  in ZoneAlarm
ZonAlarm will ask me if i want to give acces to MediaJukebox for downloading front page,plugings,updates and so on
When i click on "full album" DM opens,but ZoneAlarm does not ask anything cause there is no acces to internet from DM.The same thing is show in Naviscope history

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2002, 01:10:42 pm »

Raymond

>> There might be a server error when downloading the rmp file
That is still possable

>> Also, some firewall does temper with the HTTP headers
I currently have no firewall, Windows XP Turned Off, And I Have Not Reinstalled ZoneAlarm Since Complete Re-Install Of Windows XP (Maybe 30 Days Ago)

Most Of The Time It Works Good However
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2002, 01:26:48 pm »

New last built
Full album and one song=same problem .Rigth click-download wth DM works
But you lost DM,the song is downloaded.And you cannot opens DM again after it.
From a download or from inside MediaJukebox
The only way=reboot

zevele1

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2002, 01:36:45 pm »

In fact,DM does not open his window,but the songs are downloaded,you can see an internet activity from ZoneAlamr and the moden,and you can import the songs in MediaJukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2002, 07:47:30 pm »

Does DM lose it's list of files when you install a new build? I shut down DM tonight with a list of 300 files, installed the latest build, fired up DM again, and it was empty. There was no crash involved. It was shut down normally.

Raymond> Thanks for all of your hard work on this. And thanks for the minimize & startup options. I'm finally able to use DM all the time now instead of just when I remember to fire it up before a download. Next Page

Also, I haven't had a chance to play any of the files I downloaded today (the Incomplete ones) but I will tomorrow morning and let you know if they all appear to be intact. Anything else I can do to help?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2002, 08:33:17 pm »

A couple of suggestions and one weird thing that happened to me.

1. There really needs to be a way to resume all and retry all downloads. Or make the Resume and Retry commands work on multiple files at once. I just created another really large download list, closed DM and restarted it to make sure the list was saved, and I had to right click on every file individually to start them downloading again. And then comes the weird thing that happened to me...

Weird thing : I was just setting all downloads to retry when I bumped some key in the neighborhood of my numeric keypad and DM just vanished. It didn't say "Download Manger is closing" or anything like that, and there was no crash message. It was just suddenly gone. When I restarted it, I saw that all of my downloads were set to Aborted and I had to start all over again. Needless to say, I decided I'd much rather just come in here and report this and then go to bed. Next Page

2. The Always On Top behavior of DM can sometimes be rather aggrivating. It even gets in its own way sometimes. I had DM maximized and I was in Options. I went to the connection options and hit the Settings button. And my DUN settings box popped up, but it was behind DM. So I had to exit out of DM's options and minimize DM in order to see the DUN settings.

Other than those things, it's working really great (at home) with EMusic. I suspect that the problems I'm having at work have a lot to do with the firewall, as it's really responsive here and I've never gotten an Incomplete-Finished file.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2002, 12:50:16 am »

I was thinking if you loaded MJ from a short cut, it should say, "Que Found" Resume Que or something.

As Doof Said You Should Be Allowed To Mark All Files "Aborted" And Errored Out Files And Resume - Restart Download

DOOF:

You can turn off the always on top option
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2002, 10:00:19 am »

Some People Said They Can Not Download By The Album Button.

I Was Playing With Some Options And In DM You Must Go To

Options, File Associations, And Select Enable Download Manager To Handle List Files.....

for Download By Album To Work
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2002, 10:11:53 am »

I'm so dense. I kept using the Option toolbar button and could never find a setting to disable Always On Top. Today, I tried the menu, and there it is. Next Page

I do have DM associated with list files. It works, but not reliably. That's the problem I've been having, but only at work, on the DSL and through our firewall. At home, it works wonderfully.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2002, 07:15:59 am »

Raymond

Not Sure If This Helps, But DM Always Seems To Crash When Adding Downloads Never When It Is Just Downloading.

The Error Message States Something Like An Unhandled Win32 Exception Error.

>> King might want to have a spinning globe for the tray icon when there's activity going on Download Manager
Yes Make It Happen, Or StarTrek Lingo "Make It So"

Also The Media Jukebox Icon Can Have Some Bubbles In The Oil Filled Tubs When It Is Playing

-------------------

New Option: ByPass On Dup File, It Will Mark The File In The List As Dup And ByPass It and Go To The Next Download.

-------------------

If You Have Do Not Have Always Replace Checked Sometimes One Of The Requests To Overwrite Gets Lost Inback Of The DM, The Only Way To Get Control Back From The DM Is To Close It (CTRL|PLS|ALT|PLS|Del) And Re-Open It.

-------------------

New Option? : Rename Download Based On ID3 Tags (If Present)

-------------------

If You Click On The Emusic Page To Play The 30 Second Play Sample DM Downloads It, It Should Maybe Go Directly To MJ To Stream It.

-------------------

Update: if you try the play option (30 second sample) after the download it does not send it to MJ (i have that option turned off for the downloads). so i am not sure if you can tell if it should be a streamed sample or not from the link.

Same Song

MP3: Sample 30 Seconds (This Should Stream And It Does Not With DM Active)
http://www.emusic.com/demo_m3u/466912.m3u

Real Sample: 30 Seconds (Not Sure If This Streams Since I Do Not Have Real Installed)
http://www.emusic.com/ramgen/ra/13/466913.ram

MP3 Download Link
http://content.emusic.com/downloads/466911/Various_Artists_Buda_Musique_Du_Monde-Music_And_Songs_From_The_Golden_Triangle_Disc_2-01-Thought.mp3

Whole Album Download
http://www.emusic.com/rmp/19348.rmp
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2002, 02:53:29 pm »

I have had the File List Tell Me "Initiate Download" for some files after a cancel and a retry

I can not clear, cancel the download, nothing they are stuck in the download list forever and ever

Now Playing: Travis Randy - Fovever & Ever Amen.mp3
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2002, 04:17:13 pm »

I do not use it anymore.Seems that the more you use it the less it is working well
More or less the same felling with all the jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2002, 04:31:56 pm »

Is there anyway we could have an option to pop up the DM window when a download occurs? I've done several downloads (forgetting that DM was running) and couldn't figure out why "nothing was happening". I later found out something was happening.

Also, during one of these not-knowing-what's-going-on's, I clicked a link a couple of times and finally got a DM message asking me if I wanted to overwrite the already-existing file (this is what finally clued me in that DM was running). When I answered the box, DM exitted without warning.

zevele1

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2002, 04:42:53 pm »

I had the same problem than you Doof
I would like to know if there is a way not to have "save with download manager" in IE
Because it is not working with Netscape-hey friends Mozilla final is out this month and next AOL will be Netscape,not IE,so you may check the few problemsMJ/Netscape- i have GetRigth
When using IE i much prefer Download Express.It ask you everytime if you want to save or open and you can choose where you want to put your download.I have 3 download manager listed and,of cause,i mess around many times.I wish to use DM only for Emusic at this time

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2002, 04:46:13 pm »

Doof:

Maybe A spinning globe?

And A Selectable Wav File to Play "Downloading...", "Download Activated..."
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2002, 09:47:36 am »

there are sometimes when clicking on add Album from emusic that DM does not add the album to the download list.

Closing and re-loading DM will correct the problem.

----------------------

Been playing with the download # of files setting this to "0" will allow a user to add files to the list without DM downloading them, when ready change this # to 1 or more will start the downloads.

it would be nice to have a Hold\Download button that sets this to 0 and press again will start downloads.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up