INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recognizing my external hard drive  (Read 1020 times)

toomuch40

• Recent member
recognizing my external hard drive
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:17:08 pm »

In very simple terms, how do I set J River to  recognize that  the files that I import in  from my laptop be stored  on my  external hard drive. I can do this by importing them into iTunes first but I want to eliminate iTunes altogether. I know this is probably basic but all the explanations that  I have seen so far  are difficult to understand and vague. Can someone be specific/basic in the steps that I need to  take?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: recognizing my external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:52:02 am »

Welcome.  If you mean "import from a CD", we call that "ripping".  If so, just set your file locations in Tools/Options/File Locations.

If you mean "import", as in add existing files (not on CD) to your library, then look at the topic called "Moving Files" on our wiki.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:23:02 am »

how do I set J River to  recognize that  the files that I import in  from my laptop be stored  on my  external hard drive.

I am probably misunderstanding the question. If you are importing media files residing on your external drive you simply point MC to them from Tools > Configure Auto-Import > add folders you wish MC to monitor and add additional overall "tasks" and apply specific tags (optional).

If using MC for moving files from laptop to ext drive, as Jim said, see http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

If ripping your Cd's , change the default locations to the Ext drive in Tools > Options > File Location for audio,Images,DVD,BD,Cover art

toomuch40

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:26:50 pm »

Got it, finally... really wasn't that difficult. Thanks so much to the both of you, Samson and JimH, for your advice/response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up