INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video DLNA needs love  (Read 877 times)

D-Kalck

• Recent member
Video DLNA needs love
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:41 am »

It's been a while since Media Center implemented it's DLNA server. Well it's great for music, but if you want to play video it's poor, AFAIK the server doesn't remux video stream. For example Media Center should remux a mkv to a mpeg2ts while serving to a PS3 instead of trancoding it.
The second thing is not really related to DLNA, but I search and we still can't choose the language when we get movie & tv info.

Maybe I should have posted in Media Network.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video DLNA needs love
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:53:25 am »

Remuxing would be good. I have files that I can play on the Sony TVs here via USB, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get them playing on them via DLNA without transcoding.
I can handle transcoding to DVD-quality (which is what MC uses by default) but not HD
I also have to change the mimetype/video DLNA override codes manually depending on the framerate and format of the file. (DVD, HD MPEG2, MPEG4)

Similarly, my TVs won't play back MKV, but supports both 1080p MPEG2 and H.264 video decoding. (no VC-1 though)

It's not really been an issue for me before since I just watch content on my main TV which is connected to the HTPC via HDMI, but it never really occurred to me to try setting up DLNA streaming to the others until using Media Center. It would be pretty nice if I could be watching a film on the main TV and someone else had access to other films/TV shows at the same time.

D-Kalck

• Recent member
Re: Video DLNA needs love
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:42 am »

It would be nice if a developper could answer those questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up