INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRemote to control Media Server Client  (Read 2442 times)

Klaus_K

• Recent member
Using JRemote to control Media Server Client
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:44:24 am »

Hi,

I have a PC in my working room set up as the server and I'm connecting to it from my Media PC in the living room. So far so good. All views are set up on the server side and they show up on the client properly. The client PC is connected to a TV for video playback and to an Audiolab MDAC for audio playback. Everything works fine when controlling the playback using Theater View.

Now I want to control my client PC using JRemote and I'm confused... I can connect JRemote to the server, but I can't let it play through the client PC.

I have fooled around a little bit and found out that it works, when setting up the client as a server as well. So when connecting JRemote to the "client server" I can control playback nicely. But now I'm confused about which views JRemote uses for display. I thought this is set up in the "views for Gizmo and WebGizmo" option but the views I see on my JRemote are neither the ones from my original server nor from my client...

I know this sounds confusing and this is exactly how I feel... I guess it's down to 2 different questions:

- How is JRemote used to control playback on a JRiver client PC
- How and where are the views set up that JRemote uses for its display (using the IPad version of JRemote)

Thanks for your help
Klaus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using JRemote to control Media Server Client
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:48:46 am »

I think you need to connect to the client.  There is a JRemote thread on our Third Party board, where you could get help with JRemote.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »

- How is JRemote used to control playback on a JRiver client PC
- How and where are the views set up that JRemote uses for its display (using the IPad version of JRemote)

Connect to the client (so you need to run a server on the client) and the Gizmo views are used for JRemote. Not sure whether the client needs its own local views/library rather than using the server, best to ask on the JRemote board. But I would guess it's the same situation as using Gizmo? I have a test system that I could to try this out, let you know tomorrow!

csimon

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:30:40 am »

I have to admit it's a bit confusing - I've only got two PCs set up here, but enabling both as client and server.....there are all sorts of zones and libraries appearing as both Playing Now and Playing From and I'm not quite sure what is what!

However, I can confirm that the views in JRemote are as set up in Gizmo views, regardless of whether you connect to server or client. It looks like if you connect to a client that is connected to a server, you see the server's views. If you connect to a client that is serving from its own local library. You see the client's views.

Your problem sounds like your client doesn't have a local view set up for Gizmo and it is not connecting to a library server?

Klaus_K

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:47:17 am »

I think I figured it out. The reason for my confusion regarding the views was that I didn't reboot the "client server" in order to refresh the views from the real server. JRemote uses the views coming from the server, even when connecting to the client set up as a server.

That's what I did and what worked:
-set up the client as a server in order to allow JRemote to connect to it directly
-set up the views for JRemote on the real server and rebooted the client after each adjustment. Just synchronizing the client with the server didn't seem to work.

Now everything works as I want it to.

Thanks
Klaus
Pages: [1]   Go Up