INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to auto-import full file name as title?  (Read 1812 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
How to auto-import full file name as title?
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »

(No previous answers found in forum or wiki, so there...)
Q:  How can I set up MC to import my video files by their full file names? I usually add some basic info in brackets to my video file names - eg. "Videoname (Country Year).ext". Unfortunately, when such a file is imported, MC will display its name (or 'title' as of MC 18) like this: "Videoname (Country " - clipping off some of the original name I wanted displayed. Is there a way to avoid this?

(Mind you, the good side is MC will detect the "Year" info and populate the respective library field automatically - great to use such data, but not to remove them from the original title!)

Thanks in advance,
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to auto-import full file name as title?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:21:53 am »

Go to "Tools > Import > Configure Auto Import"

Select the folder your videos are imported from and click the "Edit" button.
In the bottom section, below "Apply these tags (Optional):", click the "Add" Button.
Choose "Name" from the field drop down list.
Paste the following into the "Value" field: removeright([filename (name)],4)
This will not include the extension. If you actually want the file extension in the [Name] field (bearing in mind that MC has a [File Type] field in its database) then use just [filename (name)].
"OK" your your way all the way back out and you should be good to go from that point onwards.
If you import video from multiple locations, you will need to apply these changes to each location individually.

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:06:41 am »

Paste the following into the "Value" field: removeright([filename (name)],4)
This will not include the extension.

There's a better way.  Of course, using RemoveRight() like that won't work correctly with files with four letter extensions (aiff, mpeg), or with other oddball extensions.

Instead, use Filename(,0) and it will always use the filename sans extension.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:19:17 pm »

Thanks so much to both of you guys, much appreciated! 
So, as not to tamper with extensions, I have now added the value FileName(,0) to the title field (f.k.a. "name"), but without the "removeright([filename (name)],4)".
Hope this was correct, but should this one fail will try the other suggestion.
(By the way, getting to this option takes one more step: "Tools > Import > Configure Auto Import > select location + Edit > Add > Custom > then select field + enter value", followed by 4xOK.

Thanks again!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)
Pages: [1]   Go Up