INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky Drop Target  (Read 1311 times)

Alonso N

Sticky Drop Target
« on: March 27, 2002, 08:45:03 am »

Love The Drop Target.  It's a great innovation.  I only have two Questions/Requests:

1. Can it be made sticky?  I'd like it to only change if I change it by going to it and changing a new target.  It sort of defeats the purpose if it changes every time I right click and do something.  The way I want to use it is to set it to something, say a playlist that I am building, and while I am primarily doing that, via drop or double click, be able to right click and change something about a file.  

2. Can it be bigger?  I run my screen resolution high, and so it's kinda small.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:Sticky Drop Target
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 08:58:01 am »

Yeah, and whatever happened to our split window/multiple pane/bucket?

I only ask because I just found this screenshot I put together when we were discussing this while I was cleaning out my FTP site... This was my idea for a "Super Drop Target"

Severian

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 09:55:38 am »

I was gonna re-open that particular can o'worms once it was clear that MJ8 is final and that they were soliciting ideas for MJ9. Seems like what's in now is in, barring anything that might be a minor update.

Alonso N

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 03:49:43 pm »

I remember that discussion, and it got pretty baroque.

What I'm talking about should (?) be a relatively simple option to have the drop target be sticky.  

When I'm using v8 it great to be able to set the target, but disconcerting, and much less useful, when it changes do to something I did elsewhere.

Frankly I think that folks would find it easier to use if it stayed where you put it, until you move it.

Makes me use it less, because it's like I never know what it is, and have to check before dblckicking, dropping etc.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 06:04:03 pm »

It should be an option, though, because I kind of like how it automatically changes to new playlists when I create them. When else does it change automatically? That's the only time I've noticed it.

Alonso N

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 03:51:58 am »

It changes with any context menu selection.

For instance, lets say I'm...
-Building a playlist, and set the drop target to that list.
-While finding tracks for that list I want to play one to see if it fits, while I keep searching, so I Send To playing now.
-The drop target is not the playlist anymore, it's Playing Now.  Grrrr.  

The way I see it whenever you are traversing your library doing something, you may be primarily doing that one thing, so it makes sense for that one thing to be the default action.  But usually when doing that one thing primarily there are other little bits to clean up, etc. so you want to do that WITHOUT having the default action change.  It helps multitask.  The way it is it's like it ALMOST helps multitask and be more efficient, but not quite.

Add to that the customary behavior thing.  When you set something in one place, IE go to the drop target and set it to the new playlist, you are not used to having something you do elsewhere change that.  It's a little unnerving.

And yes, it should be an option.  Preferably a switch or a button, not buried in options.

-Nef

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 05:18:34 am »

How about a few options? Like checkboxes for when the drop target should change automatically?

-New Playlist Creation
-Songs Sent to Playing Now
-Songs Sent to Other Playlist

etc?

I'd like it to change when I create a new playlist, but not for any of the other stuff, so a series of options like that would work best, in my opinion.

Alonso N

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2002, 07:19:16 pm »

Doof: Yeah, I could see a "Change Target On..." menu of choices.  It's pretty essoteric, but would be cool.

But really I wold be happy with just "Sticky YES/NO"

-Nef
Pages: [1]   Go Up