INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it 'normal' to…  (Read 2416 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Is it 'normal' to…
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:48:11 am »

Is it normal behavior to have the panes window always reset to the "All Genres -  "All Artists" etc., view upon re-entering this view of the Audio selection in the left window pane?

Would it be possible to leave it to the last setup instead?
Or have a preference choice one way or the other?

The Panes view is a great way to search, but loosing the search settings every time I exit Panes and then re-enter it, is a pane…   :D

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Is it 'normal' to…
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:30:52 am »

maybe "the panes" view you are using is one of the default MC views that doesnt like to be changed (was there a warning about overiding the view or something ?)

Anyway suggest experiment by starting a new view from scratch (r click audio > add new library view), add whatever panes, rules etc (copy from the original if you want to ) and see if that 'sticks' ?

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:44:15 am »

No warnings.
I created this pane view from scratch, so to speak.

Good idea about re-creating it.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:39:22 am »

So I re-created the panes view and it behaves no differently.

So I guess the answer, at least to this point in development is, Panes auto re-sets itself when you enter into that view.

JJ

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:31:59 am »

No, not at all. It has never happened that way for me.Attached is a dummy view I made with [Lens] as the first category/pane under audio. I can exit MC and return to exact same view.

Unless someone chimes in more knowledgeable , all I can suggest is back up library, and then restore an older library including settings in the restore. see if problem goes away. Maybe one of the settings got corrupted.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »

Does the view remain if you 'drill down' using several 'filters' to find a specific album?

I have 6 category filters in the top portion of the Pane window and all of these always reset to "All (name of category filter)" for each of the 6 I have selected.

Thanks for your help with this.

JJ

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »

If you select something in a pane and then select another view using the tree to the left, your pane selection is reset (forgotten). That is "normal" behaviour, and I see you would like that to be changed. In the mean time you could try using different tabs for different views. The pane selection is not reset when switching to another tab. If you use the tree to select different levels of the same view that would, however, be difficult.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:22 pm »

Thanks for that. 

I have been playing around with creating different pane views and they all reset (are forgotten) upon leaving (or re-entering) the pane view.  This just confirms it is 'normal' as you mentioned.

Such is the way of things at this stage of development.

Thanks    JJ

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »

If you select something in a pane and then select another view using the tree to the left, your pane selection is reset (forgotten). That is "normal" behaviour, and I see you would like that to be changed. In the mean time you could try using different tabs for different views. The pane selection is not reset when switching to another tab. If you use the tree to select different levels of the same view that would, however, be difficult.

Okay I am confusesd (don’t be alarmed,Im used to it  ?).

Not for me This MC behaviour does not occur for me and even with several categories (panes) added (is that what you mean by "tabs"). I can navigate to as many other libraries in the left hand "tree view" as I like and do not lose the the panes when returning to the original library view.

I cant help but thinking we are talking about different things somehow and I may be confused but …

I opend an original cofiguration of MC in a different user account with all its default settings untouched.
In standard view under audio are various 'stock' or standard library views in the left tree.[EDIT] One of them is called "Panes"[/Edit]. All these are locked views.When I add panes (= categoreis) it does so but when navigating to somewhere else in the tree I get this warning (pic 1). If I overide it my panes selections stay sticky but each time I manually change it I get this warning (pic 2).[EDIT] this warning can be turned off . The same behaviour occurs when adding a new library view using "View AS" Panes except on leaving you dont get Pic 1, just Pic 2.Again the warning can be turned off.[/EDIT]

I can alter, change, rearrange my panes with no pains  8)

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:13 am »

I cant help but thinking we are talking about different things somehow

Yes, I think we are and that is why I stepped in and tried to address the issue brought up by the OP.

I am quite sure that the OP is referring to the selection in a pane being reset to have the first All ... item selected when re-entering a view, not losing the entire pane which you are talking about. What you are saying is correct per se as far as I can tell, but I do not think it addresses the issue for the OP.

You can get a new tab by clicking the small rectangle on top next to where you can see the view name.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:11 am »

Yes, thanks for clarifying....I should have twigged the OP was talking about tabs, I seldom use this function, probably because its a temporary deal and partly because I just plum forgot about them (it has been a busy 3 months or so and steep learning curve).

To clarify AFAIK the tabs views of the same library are suppossed to retain their respective view changes whilst you are still in tabs, ie while in the same library, different tabs. You can scroll through tabs with CTRl + tab, or Ctrl + Shift + Tab. You lose all tab changes when you navigate to a different library in the left organizational tree.

However, If you choose "Startup Interface to last location", in Options > Startup, it should retain the same tabs without changes when you close and reopen MC and this may partly address the OP's question.

The only other workaround is to create different libraries in the left organisational tree and they will retain customized changes (which is what I do).

For what its worth, tabs do not appear to be working properly in 18.0.188 as they do not always seem to retain their changes even before exiting that library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up