INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR crashing when switching TV channels (SD to HD to SD)  (Read 2435 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

MadVR is still crashing when switching Live TV channels. If I stop the viewing first, then select "next" channel I want to view in the guide, it is not a problem.
But it will repeatedly crash MadVR switching live. When MadVR crashes it pops up a message on the screen about sending a bug report (which I do) and gives me the option to restart the application. This is a problem when other users in my house are watching TV.

Maybe I'm the only one having this problem - perhaps someone can test for this (RO+HQ) with Live TV. If it matters, I am using OTA channels (not cable).

In the mean time how do I set up Custom Video Mode to use RO+HQ for all viewing then switch to something else (EVR?) for TV viewing?
What do I enter as the "Condition" for "Live TV"?  When I record TV I use .ts format, but this is live TV (both SD and HD).

Adcom

• Recent member
Re: MadVR crashing when switching TV channels (SD to HD to SD)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:43:18 am »

Hi,

Same problem here.

Mike

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

In the mean time how do I set up Custom Video Mode to use RO+HQ for all viewing then switch to something else (EVR?) for TV viewing?
What do I enter as the "Condition" for "Live TV"?  When I record TV I use .ts format, but this is live TV (both SD and HD).

I don't know if it's the only way, but here's what I did and it works:

Set up a Zone for TV viewing with a rule for all your associated TV types (for me, TVLB and JTV).  You'll probably want TVLB (live) and ".ts when media sub-type is TV" included in the rule.  You can take a look at the ZoneSwitch threads if you're unfamiliar with how to do this.

Next, in Options-->Video set mode to Custom.  Use "Red October" for the starting conditions and LEAVE THE RULES FIELD BLANK.  Next, you can create another zone for all other media types.  Set that zone up for Custom video as well, only this time set the "Start with the Following Settings" to ROHQ.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:29:23 am »

Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand the part about using Zones. When my family starts MC, they choose watch a movie, watch a TV show (recorded stuff), watch Live TV, or watch Netflix. Whatever the setup is it needs to be automatic (meaning if Zones are switched it needs to do so without any extra steps/input - so I don't ned to get called in to help). We don't watch Live TV much, so this isn't a real big issue, but I'd like to find a work around.

I saw some old posts in the TV section about using the Custom Video Mode to solve a problem with recorded TV playback.  My understanding is that the Custom Video Mode is triggered by the file "type". So my question is what file type is "Live TV"? Is it MPEG and/or something else dependign on SD or HD. I don't think .jtv or .ts is correct for Live TV. I may be wrong, but aren't those file types just created when recording (not viewing Live)? I've not heard of TVLB before (TV Live Broadcast?). Is that a format or MC term or what?

thanks again for replying.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:54 pm »

Bump. Can anyone help me set this up?

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

I saw some old posts in the TV section about using the Custom Video Mode to solve a problem with recorded TV playback.  My understanding is that the Custom Video Mode is triggered by the file "type". So my question is what file type is "Live TV"? Is it MPEG and/or something else dependign on SD or HD. I don't think .jtv or .ts is correct for Live TV. I may be wrong, but aren't those file types just created when recording (not viewing Live)? I've not heard of TVLB before (TV Live Broadcast?). Is that a format or MC term or what?

I'm not sure what TVLB stands for, but it seems to send my live TV signals to the correct zone (the one with RO Standard as the Custom Video Mode 'Start with the following settings').  I also don't know if it's universal or unique to MC, though the latter is my guess. 

I have never tried the Custom Video Settings sorting by file type.  I have additional audio concerns so I actually need seperate zones to playback stereo music vs. surround mixes vs. movies so that's why I use zones.

Zone switch is automatically applied as long as your rules are set up correctly and should not require any extra input from your family.  I also have the WAF to worry about and a rather complicated audio setup.  So here's a rough sketch of how I have it set up:

Zone 1 -- which I call (LAV) but you can name it whatever you'd like. I have a rule in ZoneSwitch stating that if the file type is .jtv or .tvlb then play in Zone 1.  Make sure that when you're setting up ZoneSwitch you have it stop playback in all other zones to avoid simultaneous playback (it says this in the ZoneSwitch menus).

Zone 2 -- (MadVR).  I have a rule here stating that if file type is .bdmv, .ts, .mkv, etc. to play in Zone 2.  I have the playback settings for this zone set to Custom with "Start With The Following Settings" set as ROHQ as I explained in my previous post.

I have several other zones to deal with various types of audio playback but to avoid confusion I left those out.  It sounds complicated but once you dig around the ZoneSwitch menus it's self-explanatory.  If you can't get it figured out let me know and I'll write you a step-by-step guide on how to set it up.

There is a Zone wiki entry here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

and info on ZoneSwitch here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:41:36 am »

I have the same crashing problem
A solution that allows the use of ROHQ would be appreciated

Brad

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 02:47:00 am »

FYI - Yaobing has been working on this (from another thread)
I made some change in code that may help.  It will be in a new build next week.
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:03 am »

jtv.

This is in effect for live TV (since live TV starts in time-shifting mode in most cases) and recordings in jtv format.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:05:25 am »

So is there a solution to stop the crashing?

Can time shifting be set to use ts?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:19:32 am »

So is there a solution to stop the crashing?

Can time shifting be set to use ts?

The permanent sulotion is, of course, for us to figure out what is causing the crash and fix it.  The temporary solution is to do what CountryBumkin tried to do, using "jtv" as "Condition".

It does not matter whether your recording mode is ts or jtv, time-shifting is on, and is always jtv.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up